where do you draw the line

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

A friend of mine told me a story that happened to him. Hes the director of a church camp and was prepping for that years one when he got a message from a young woman who had counselled the year previous- She said shes just letting him know she's pregnant but will still be available to counsel. This led him to check around because he didnt remember hearing of her getting married. Turns out she wasnt. He then had to figure out how to diplomatically let her know she wouldnt be able to counsel because of that .

My question is , while I do agree wih that position, where do we draw the line at who and who cannot participate in church  ministry activities based on their lifestyles? Its something I had to struggle with before. I woud be having programmes and certain young people who were known to be in lots of unsavoury activities (drinking, partying etc) would want to  have roles and i wondered if I should let them  have it.

Position 1- They represent the church and by extenson God, what impact could they have doing certain unchristianlike things and then being seen onstage reperesenting us.

Position 2- You yourself are not perfect, while you may yourself ot do what they do, you are a sinner as they are so its hypocritical to want to bar them when you are sinful as well.

What do you think?

She was a professed christian and had  been so for years

People who are in positions of authority should not give the appearance of sin. Being pregnant outside of wedlock gives such an appearance. GOD does forgive, and this person may have changed how she lives, but those who know will start rumors and bring judgment (even thought they shouldn't) and this will affect her authority.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

If you are going to be apart of a Christian organization, then you need to at least act like it, so that the organization is sending out a consistent message to what they stand for. There should be a guideline that is written up and signed so that behavior norms can be codified and agreed to by those participating in this on a professional level.

Behavior that runs counter to the ideal behind Christianity should not be rewarded by continuing a professional relationship with the organization. What she does in her private life is between her and God, but if it degrades the ability for the organization to do what it is there to do, then she needs to become one of those who are being counseled instead of the one's doing the counseling.

She should not be abandoned as someone who is undesirable, but she does need to acknowledge her wrong and that she wronged this child, by not being sure there was a complete family to raise this child in a loving relationship with a husband and with God.

Edited by Churchmouse

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

If I were here I'd draw the line at a counselor who decided my experience wasn't a reflection of what some may seek counsel for. Seek a different church than that which presents itself as that.

What better person to guide than the one haven taken the steps already? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

A friend of mine told me a story that happened to him. Hes the director of a church camp and was prepping for that years one when he got a message from a young woman who had counselled the year previous- She said shes just letting him know she's pregnant but will still be available to counsel. This led him to check around because he didnt remember hearing of her getting married. Turns out she wasnt. He then had to figure out how to diplomatically let her know she wouldnt be able to counsel because of that .

My question is , while I do agree wih that position, where do we draw the line at who and who cannot participate in church  ministry activities based on their lifestyles? Its something I had to struggle with before. I woud be having programmes and certain young people who were known to be in lots of unsavoury activities (drinking, partying etc) would want to  have roles and i wondered if I should let them  have it.

Position 1- They represent the church and by extenson God, what impact could they have doing certain unchristianlike things and then being seen onstage reperesenting us.

Position 2- You yourself are not perfect, while you may yourself ot do what they do, you are a sinner as they are so its hypocritical to want to bar them when you are sinful as well.

What do you think?

I think that it is up to the Pastor to make sure that the person who is participating in the Church activities and administration of the Church is a good Christian example to all.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Sorry you need counseling but you're not worthy of being a counselor because you're pro-life. 

:unsure: That's the picture thus far that I'm getting. The counselor guy sounds like a real peach.

3 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

People who are in positions of authority should not give the appearance of sin. Being pregnant outside of wedlock gives such an appearance. GOD does forgive, and this person may have changed how she lives, but those who know will start rumors and bring judgment (even thought they shouldn't) and this will affect her authority.

This is why people have abortions. If she would have had an abortion and not told anyone about it, she would have been allowed to counsel.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

11 minutes ago, Saktmodig said:

This is why people have abortions. If she would have had an abortion and not told anyone about it, she would have been allowed to counsel.

:emot-heartbeat: :thumbsup:

Actually i know the young lady in question. There was no  actual showing of a change of heart. We didnt know,she was living like that. In a sunday school class,she when asked about how she was doing she casually told us that shes pregnant as if it was a new job she had go

10 minutes ago, Saktmodig said:

tten