• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/14/2017 at 7:03 AM, Your closest friendnt said:

I have had struggles with this scripture up to now. 

It begins with, the Lord is not slow to keep his promise. 

Who are the people he is addressing, what is the reason to address them in this manner, and what is the promise. 

What is that the Lord has promise. 

I am very sceptical about that. 

Thank you for posting. 

Your closest friendnt, I will try to answer your questions. (I welcome any corrections from others, if I get it wrong.)

You asked: "...Who are the people he is addressing,..."  

The Apostle Peter is addressing other Christians. We read this at the beginning of his letter;

Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2 Peter 1:1

You asked: "...what is the reason to address them in this manner,..."

He is addressing them in this manner to remind them what they have been taught in truth, the promise given, and as a stern warning, because other people were mocking, and teaching contrary (false doctrine) to what had been taught by the Apostles. We read of this here;

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 2 Peter 3:3-4

This particular verse (2 Peter 3:9) refers to His promise to come back, and how some people think He's slow about it, but God isn't being slow, He's being patient.

You asked: "...and what is the promise."

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. 2 Peter 3:10-13

There are also other promises referred to in 2 Peter, which makes for a very good study.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,777
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

19 hours ago, books said:

Your closest friendnt, I will try to answer your questions. (I welcome any corrections from others, if I get it wrong.)

You asked: "...Who are the people he is addressing,..."  

The Apostle Peter is addressing other Christians. We read this at the beginning of his letter;

Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2 Peter 1:1

You asked: "...what is the reason to address them in this manner,..."

He is addressing them in this manner to remind them what they have been taught in truth, the promise given, and as a stern warning, because other people were mocking, and teaching contrary (false doctrine) to what had been taught by the Apostles. We read of this here;

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 2 Peter 3:3-4

This particular verse (2 Peter 3:9) refers to His promise to come back, and how some people think He's slow about it, but God isn't being slow, He's being patient.

You asked: "...and what is the promise."

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. 2 Peter 3:10-13

There are also other promises referred to in 2 Peter, which makes for a very good study.

I want to thank you, for taking the time, to study the epistole of second Peter, you did a great job and that's what I wanted to hear to what problems Peter had to face and how he deal with them. 

There is a lot to learn about the believers of that time, as they were the first, second generation of Believers. 

(I don't have a Bible available, and I use an I phone)

But from what you have made reference to; 

It seems that Peter is responsible for what is happening , it looks like that Peter was the one,

(and perhaps the other disciples too)

It must have been Peter telling the Believers that the Lord is coming very soon and within their generation, but the time was passing bye, and nothing happens. 

I get that from at least two things.

First the people were telling Peter, that some Believers and it seems to be the very first Believers, who had pass away , and had die with a complaint , that the Lord did not come back as he had promise , that he will come back and they were dieying, without this promise been fulfilled. 

So the promise to them it was that the Lord will come back in their time, in their generation, and if that was what was promised to them, and if that was what Peter was teaching, then the people had the right to confront Peter. 

We also see that Peter, did not denied it, but he was somehow excusing himself by saying , yes he was suppose to come before those people pass away, but he is talking longer waiting for some of you to repent . 

It looks like that Peter instant of examining what he was teaching, and seek the Lord about this matter, because he himself seems to also believe that the Lord will come back in his generation. 

Peter is beginning to blame the Believer, that they are not holy enough, (not all of them), and it is better for them, because if he comes  the way they are , the first thing he is going to do is to punish them for their disobedience. 

That's how I see it, and hope that you consider it and let me know what you think. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

I want to thank you, for taking the time, to study the epistole of second Peter, you did a great job and that's what I wanted to hear to what problems Peter had to face and how he deal with them. 

There is a lot to learn about the believers of that time, as they were the first, second generation of Believers. 

(I don't have a Bible available, and I use an I phone)

But from what you have made reference to; 

It seems that Peter is responsible for what is happening , it looks like that Peter was the one,

(and perhaps the other disciples too)

It must have been Peter telling the Believers that the Lord is coming very soon and within their generation, but the time was passing bye, and nothing happens. 

I get that from at least two things.

First the people were telling Peter, that some Believers and it seems to be the very first Believers, who had pass away , and had die with a complaint , that the Lord did not come back as he had promise , that he will come back and they were dieying, without this promise been fulfilled. 

So the promise to them it was that the Lord will come back in their time, in their generation, and if that was what was promised to them, and if that was what Peter was teaching, then the people had the right to confront Peter. 

We also see that Peter, did not denied it, but he was somehow excusing himself by saying , yes he was suppose to come before those people pass away, but he is talking longer waiting for some of you to repent . 

It looks like that Peter instant of examining what he was teaching, and seek the Lord about this matter, because he himself seems to also believe that the Lord will come back in his generation. 

Peter is beginning to blame the Believer, that they are not holy enough, (not all of them), and it is better for them, because if he comes  the way they are , the first thing he is going to do is to punish them for their disobedience. 

That's how I see it, and hope that you consider it and let me know what you think. 

You’re welcome, Your closest friendnt. Thank you, for your confidence in my reply. I’m fairly new to the faith, being born again only about 5 years or so now, so, I still have a lot to learn.

I agree with you that there is a lot to learn about the early believers. I disagree with you here;

You said: “It must have been Peter telling the Believers that the Lord is coming very soon and within their generation,”

No, Peter isn’t at fault for the people not believing in the return of our Lord, Jesus. The mockers that were mocking, following after their own lusts, refers to unbelievers. They are not following God, they are following their own desires. We read this here;

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,

and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 2 Peter 3:3-4

Basically, the unbelievers are calling Jesus, and his disciples, liars.

Peter and the other Apostles didn’t teach that Jesus would return at a certain time, or in that specific generation. Jesus, himself, even stated that He didn’t know the day of His return. We read that here;

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone”… Mathew 24:36

In Mathew 24, we read of how the world will be when Jesus’ return is near, the “signs of the time”, so to speak.

Believers, on the other hand, believe in the return of our Lord Jesus, and we even hope he comes soon, but it doesn’t upset us if we die before He returns, because we will be with Him either way. See? If He comes, we go to Him, if we die, we go to Him! So, either way, we get to be with Him!

Now, we do grieve, when we think of all the unbelievers that will be dead in their sins at our Lords return, but to us, who have been born again unto new life, we have joy at the thought of being with our Lord.           

…in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  4,329
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

On 3/15/2017 at 8:30 PM, Your closest friendnt said:

My I deprived from something? 

" to wrath", what is he doing when he is in "wrath".

What do you think he is going to do , and to whom, and why? 

That's what I been asking my self and I can not get it. 

If you please. 

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Revelation 21:8

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,777
  • Content Per Day:  2.42

2 hours ago, books said:

You’re welcome, Your closest friendnt. Thank you, for your confidence in my reply. I’m fairly new to the faith, being born again only about 5 years or so now, so, I still have a lot to learn.

I agree with you that there is a lot to learn about the early believers. I disagree with you here;

You said: “It must have been Peter telling the Believers that the Lord is coming very soon and within their generation,”

No, Peter isn’t at fault for the people not believing in the return of our Lord, Jesus. The mockers that were mocking, following after their own lusts, refers to unbelievers. They are not following God, they are following their own desires. We read this here;

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,

and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 2 Peter 3:3-4

Basically, the unbelievers are calling Jesus, and his disciples, liars.

Peter and the other Apostles didn’t teach that Jesus would return at a certain time, or in that specific generation. Jesus, himself, even stated that He didn’t know the day of His return. We read that here;

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone”… Mathew 24:36

In Mathew 24, we read of how the world will be when Jesus’ return is near, the “signs of the time”, so to speak.

Believers, on the other hand, believe in the return of our Lord Jesus, and we even hope he comes soon, but it doesn’t upset us if we die before He returns, because we will be with Him either way. See? If He comes, we go to Him, if we die, we go to Him! So, either way, we get to be with Him!

Now, we do grieve, when we think of all the unbelievers that will be dead in their sins at our Lords return, but to us, who have been born again unto new life, we have joy at the thought of being with our Lord.           

…in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8

Hi brother books, I must respect your unwoevering faith and your good foundation in Spiritual matters, and I am blessed to read your post. 

After reading your comments in your reply, I must take another look at how have I come to those conclusion about to what Peter was teaching regarding the coming of Jesus Christ and from his own word he was teaching them about the coming of Jesus Christ. 

I studied Peter's response to the mockers, I did not mean to talk about Peter like I knew what he was actually teaching regarding this matter. 

But Peter did admit that the Lord had not yet fullfilled his promise, and he was explaining why he believed this is so. 

Now to be fair I can't say why if he did teach that the Lord was coming soon and in their generation how that teaching was fuelled , only I can think perhaps it was from what the Angels proclaim to them at the time of the Lord's ansention. 

"The way you see him going up, the same way you will see him  coming down". 

Just from these words alone it seems right to believe that those who were standing there they will also witness his coming back. 

It is worthy to consider that the promise of the Holy Spirit, had not yet been fullfilled, with the worlds of the Lord, " that it is better if I go, then the Holy Spirit will come and be with all of you where ever you are. 

And that's what actually we need that Jesus Christ to be with all of us, even at remotest parts of the earth. 

( We must understand that this was not possible before the coming of the Holy Spirit).

Jesus was only at one place at a time. 

And consider his comant to make disciples and bring the Gospel in the whole earth. 

By this I don't mean to make the Angels right or wrong, but I suggest that the Angels had the coming of the Lord, through the coming of the Holy Spirit beginning at the day of the Pentecoste. 

Even JESUS said that I will be with you always, even if two of you are gathering in his name. 

And we understand that this an happen through the Holy Spirit. 

The Lord's promise was fullfilled but the people instead of looking to find him in the Spirit, they were looking to find him the way he was before the ascention . or even before his death. 

If that was the case the Holy Spirit can not be on earth, and Jesus will be only one place at a time. 

Hope that I explained how I have come to those conclusion about the people misinterpreted what the Angels said at the time of the Lord Jesus Christ ascention.