Andy_d

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

What do you think about this style of tattoo? Is it insulting to Jesus?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I`m asking it because recently I found these jesus tattoos on arm 

I think it very insulting to religion.

Who, in good mind will do that?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

Leviticus 19:28Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Now that the scripture is out of the way, let me explain. While it is true that this verse comes right out of the Mosaic Law, we must look at why God would require such restraint. In the first half of the verse, he mentions a practice that ancient heathen cultures had of cutting themselves with knives during funerals in an effort to appease whatever god they worshiped. God clearly wanted to distinguish Himself from false gods. Yahweh only required animal sacrifice for peoples' sins.

Second, God enjoined His people from "printing" or tatooing their flesh. Part of this goes back to the commandment that says not to have any graven image. If you understand the tattoo process, you understand that they are engraved into the skin and are supposed to be permanent markings. God's desire was that His laws be graven upon the hearts and minds of His children.

Don't get me wrong. I am nearly 65 years and I have seen some AWESOME tattoos. I have also seen some that I would put on my worst enemy. But that is not the question. The question is about Christians getting tattoos. Again, I have seen some lovely ones and I have seen some that I am not too sure about. I do NOT mean to be judgmental. There are those who were tattooed prior to accepting Christ....that is one group. However, one of the reasons I have personally NOT gotten a tattoo is that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (that comes from a New Testament scripture). God created me in His image. Why would I want to deface His image? I am certainly no "handsome" man. But God created ALL of us in His image. Is it not at least presumptuous to mark up His temple. The Bible also says that we were bought with a price, so technically we don't even belong to ourselves.

In this frame of mind, I do not even claim the right to judge. If you want to get a tattoo as a Christian, my advice is to choose something that glorifies God....then seriously pray for at least a month to see if God approves. I say a month only because I was in the Navy and watched unbelievers get tattoos they regretted because they were drunk when the got them and after a month at sea, they changed their minds (it was always too late).

On a personal note, the best tattoo I have ever seen is one my son recently got. If I weren't saved, I would consider getting it. It is my father's brand (for branding cows) on a background of what looks like riveted steel sheets like you find on the side of a Navy ship (my father was in the Navy during the Korean war). So I am not totally against tattoos; I am just not sure they are the best way of expressing glory to God...even if they are Christian tattoos.

All of that being said, this is why we have Grace.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Since we are told to follow the example of Jesus, I have to ask, did Jesus have tattoos?

You have asked a question for there is no scriptural answer. That means that there is no Bible verse that says He did not. However, Jesus was a Jew and followed all the Jewish traditions of faith. As a matter of growing up as a Jewish boy, he would have been required to memorize the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible (also called the Torah), generally believed to be Genesis, Exodus. Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Numbers (all written by Moses). Since the laws were all contained in these 5 books, Jesus would have read and studied the one about tattoos.

One other thing needs to be noted here. Jesus' mission in life was to be the sacrificial lamb for the sins of all mankind. Hebrew tradition says that a sacrifice for sin must be perfect, without blemish. I believe (my opinion) is that Jesus did NOT have any tattoos or other markings on His body because the Bible says in Hebrews that He was tempted in ALL ways like we are, yet without sin.

When I was in the Navy, I was temped to get a tattoo. But I resisted because in those days nearly all the tattoos were black and green and involved snakes, skulls, MOM and other UGLY stuff.  So my resistance was not spiritual at all. Personally, even though I have seen many tattoo masterpieces, my question is why? If you decorate your body, who is really getting the glory? Even if you cover yourself with Jesus tattoos, you are still drawing attention to YOUR body. I would only do that if I knew absolutely that was how God wanted me to witness.

Of greater beauty are those rare Christians who have love, joy, peace, patience....etc. you know, the fruits of the Spirit. These flow from the inside out and are more miraculous and beautiful because they are exhibited even in the midst of great trial and tribulation, when people need to experience the "real" Jesus and not a 2-D beautiful tattoo.

What God has highlighted in your heart is a desire to represent Him. You are a treasure to God and He wants you to be pure, powerful, prophic, peaceful and proactive in reaching lost and hurting souls for Jesus!!!

Blessings

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings No124

:amen:A truly beautiful reply!!!!                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

No124get1952

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, No124get1952 said:

You have asked a question for there is no scriptural answer. That means that there is no Bible verse that says He did not. However, Jesus was a Jew and followed all the Jewish traditions of faith. As a matter of growing up as a Jewish boy, he would have been required to memorize the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible (also called the Torah), generally believed to be Genesis, Exodus. Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Numbers (all written by Moses). Since the laws were all contained in these 5 books, Jesus would have read and studied the one about tattoos.

One other thing needs to be noted here. Jesus' mission in life was to be the sacrificial lamb for the sins of all mankind. Hebrew tradition says that a sacrifice for sin must be perfect, without blemish. I believe (my opinion) is that Jesus did NOT have any tattoos or other markings on His body because the Bible says in Hebrews that He was tempted in ALL ways like we are, yet without sin.

When I was in the Navy, I was temped to get a tattoo. But I resisted because in those days nearly all the tattoos were black and green and involved snakes, skulls, MOM and other UGLY stuff.  So my resistance was not spiritual at all. Personally, even though I have seen many tattoo masterpieces, my question is why? If you decorate your body, who is really getting the glory? Even if you cover yourself with Jesus tattoos, you are still drawing attention to YOUR body. I would only do that if I knew absolutely that was how God wanted me to witness.

Of greater beauty are those rare Christians who have love, joy, peace, patience....etc. you know, the fruits of the Spirit. These flow from the inside out and are more miraculous and beautiful because they are exhibited even in the midst of great trial and tribulation, when people need to experience the "real" Jesus and not a 2-D beautiful tattoo.

What God has highlighted in your heart is a desire to represent Him. You are a treasure to God and He wants you to be pure, powerful, prophic, peaceful and proactive in reaching lost and hurting souls for Jesus!!!

Blessings

What a nice thought out reply.  Nice work.  So, your answer would have to be "No, Jesus did not have a tattoo" since it would of been against the Torah?

So you know, I have tattoos I had done in the early 70's.  They are ugly now and I wish I never had them done.

No, I don't believe Jesus had tatoos. I have never really heard a Christian with tattoos ever testify how their tattoos helped them witness. It has probably happened, I just haven't heard of it. Besides, what us under the blood, including tattoos, stays there...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

At the end of the day, I think a tattoo, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing, but like many things, it certainly can be a bad thing. What is it of? What is your purpose in getting one? There are strong questions that need to be asked, and praying that needs to be done about it.

I would, personally, though, reject the use of the commandment in Leviticus about it. Jesus didn't have a tattoo, of course, but he also didn't break with the dietary laws of the time, which were later removed by God of course. I think "Jesus didn't, therefore it's a sin" would be hastily casting too big a blanket over an issue. I would certainly advise careful consideration and prayer to anyone considering getting one, though.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 13/03/2017 at 8:24 PM, Andy_d said:

What do you think about this style of tattoo? Is it insulting to Jesus?

Why don't you ask his spirit, who lives in you.