IGNORED

Do People From Your Church Call You When You Miss?

LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

51 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Then perhaps they could benefit from your presence and encouragement! I typically attend church and church functions, more for what I can give, than for what I get! I can worship alone, I can pray alone, I can study alone, but I cannot help others alone nor have fellowship alone, and I suspect, that without a weekly offering opportunity, I might find it to easy to neglect, honoring God with my substance.

Since we are known by our love for each others, and of course do love each other if we are living a Christian life as genuinely as we can, it just makes sense that we want to be with those we love, and for a lot of people, a convenient way to do that, is through church attendance.

Of course, here, I do not mean merely going, listening to a sermon, then going home again. The early church seems to have also been about meeting together daily, and breaking bread, not gathering to here a preacher. It is not an either or propasition, it is a both and one.

To the point of the O.P. I do not know how to answer that, I guess I could miss church more often and find out (though it is hard to call me, since I do not have a phone)!

That is everyone's choice where and when they Praise and worship God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

it depends on how they go about it....I think its good that a church cares about you enough to ask why you didnt make it...but on the same note they need to make sure theyre not being controlling about it. I actually left a church a few years ago, for various reasons, and the only person who noticed was one of the deacons-a good friend of mine...and he called me up after me missing 2 sundays in a row, and I very much appreciated it, showed that he actually cared.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 3/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, LadyKay said:

About an year ago I started going to Sunday School Class at my church on Sunday mornings. I enjoy going but some Sundays I don't make it. On those Sunday that I skip Sunday School but make it in for church service, there is always someone coming up to me and asking me why I did not make it to Sunday School.  I find myself having to explain why I wasn't there feeling a bit awkward about it because it seems kind of personal to me.  This pass Sunday because of the time change I ended up sleeping and missed going to church altogether.  That afternoon I got a phone call from a lady from the church asking me if everything was alright and why I wasn't there.  I know they mean well but I don't really have a relationship with these people outside of church. So when they call and start asking me why I missed or wasn't there, I kind of feel like I am in trouble or something for missing. Like I said I know that they mean well and they want me to know that I was missed, but maybe if I had more of a relationship with them I wouldn't feel so awkward having to explain my missing.  Truth be know I have issue with depression and anxiety and sometimes it hits me in the morning and I just don't want to leave the house. But I don't feel like sharing that with them just yet. 

Well thanks for letting me talk about this. 

Sure.  An interesting concern, by the people calling, and by you too.

Does anyone call me? No and I work there! Gee, now I am worried maybe they don't care enough about me to ask. 

Seriously, I think it is one of those no win situations. People may ask out of interest and concern or they just be seeking numbers, scalps so to speak  for their attendance tallies.

There is good reason to skip church, my pastor does it. He calls it vacation, he calls it gone to conference, he calls it gone on the mission field. And so do all of us, we do not  attend  perfectly, nor do we  seek to be perfect in pew warming.

Guess I might respond to such a call with  the comment that I had a hangover, could you please bring me up to date  on any special prayer requests and needs that I might have missed? And if you will, please pray my headache goes away? Thanks. 

I do often respond to people that comment on the cold and ask me why I'm not dressed for it when instead I'm walking around in t-shirt and shorts, by saying  "The cold  doesn't much bother us Scotch drinkers". And then I ask, " How you doing in your walk with our Lord, everything okay? any needs any prayer requests? Here is something you can help me with".....   Basically, I try to cast off the the line to the conventional and seek the more  obtuse, the need not quickly nor easily expressed and the desire to care not yet extended to me.

But that is just me,- not for everyone I am sure.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Guess I might respond to such a call with  the comment that I had a hangover,

LOL Well that would go over good. Should I also add I was out parting last night as well? :dance:

I know they mean well, and I know I have people issues. I just need to work it out. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

It can be awkward to have people take a genuine interest in me.  I had a guy call me once and inquire about why I did not show up and my first thought was what's this guys problem?  I grew up around people who were emotionally unavailable and I never developed emparhy, sympathy and compassion nor did I experience true love toward me until men who knew and walked with God sought me out.  

Today I am the guy guy who takes an interest in new comers and calls when they miss.  I genuinely want them to know they are loved.  Not because of who they are but rather because of who God is.  I have found that more people lack as did I the skills to be truely part of.  Many feel apart from and different.  My congregation works hard to change that.  We go above and beyond.  One of our new guys is on house arrest.  We took a meeting to him in his home on Tuesday.  There were 11 of us.  He had no furnature so we sat on the floor.  We brought food and coffee.  We each took turns sharing about where we are in our walk with God and what God has done for us.  About our own personal experience growing in His grace and knowledge.  It was an amazing time and the man came to me yesterday and thanked me fir arranging it amd told me that something seriously was changed in his heart amd mind by the experience.

All over the world in various churches are groups of men and women at different phases of their development in Christ.  Unfortunately, our sin separates us from one another until we become ready to let it all go and truly become one with Him. Be blessed!  I am glad someone is trying to care for you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

On 3/14/2017 at 3:00 PM, LadyKay said:

About an year ago I started going to Sunday School Class at my church on Sunday mornings. I enjoy going but some Sundays I don't make it. On those Sunday that I skip Sunday School but make it in for church service, there is always someone coming up to me and asking me why I did not make it to Sunday School.  I find myself having to explain why I wasn't there feeling a bit awkward about it because it seems kind of personal to me.  This pass Sunday because of the time change I ended up sleeping and missed going to church altogether.  That afternoon I got a phone call from a lady from the church asking me if everything was alright and why I wasn't there.  I know they mean well but I don't really have a relationship with these people outside of church. So when they call and start asking me why I missed or wasn't there, I kind of feel like I am in trouble or something for missing. Like I said I know that they mean well and they want me to know that I was missed, but maybe if I had more of a relationship with them I wouldn't feel so awkward having to explain my missing.  Truth be know I have issue with depression and anxiety and sometimes it hits me in the morning and I just don't want to leave the house. But I don't feel like sharing that with them just yet. 

Well thanks for letting me talk about this. 

Have you ever asked them why they are asking? That might start up a conversation that would either draw you closer to them or let them know that it is a little irritating to you to when they ask you personal questions.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Lots of very good replies ( IMO). Seems a good thread developing.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Churchmouse said:

Have you ever asked them why they are asking? That might start up a conversation that would either draw you closer to them or let them know that it is a little irritating to you to when they ask you personal questions.

No I never think these things when it is going on.  And since I normally go it does not come up often.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

22 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

No I never think these things when it is going on.  And since I normally go it does not come up often.  

You might want to think about it as an alternative to what is going on, now. To not take control of this will, I think add to your irritation more than reduce it.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

There are a lot of chronic illness that are worse in the morning or at night.  I always tell people if I am doing good, I will be there on Sunday morning. 

You might just mention that you suffer from a chronic illness that is often worse in the morning, but that sometimes you can work through it so that you are able to attend church a little later. " So if I am not in Sunday School, I can probably use your prayers that God would give me grace, strength and healing.  Thank you for your concern."

People with arthritis often struggle with moving in the mornings.  Other people with chronic pain may be worse in morning or evening.  You don't even have to mention what kind of an illness you suffer with.  Just say that you don't like to dwell on it if they ask.  Most of us would rather dwell on all that God has done for us, His love for us, and that He has invited us to cast all our cares upon Him.  He is more than able to carry our burdens.