IGNORED

Do People From Your Church Call You When You Miss?

LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

About an year ago I started going to Sunday School Class at my church on Sunday mornings. I enjoy going but some Sundays I don't make it. On those Sunday that I skip Sunday School but make it in for church service, there is always someone coming up to me and asking me why I did not make it to Sunday School.  I find myself having to explain why I wasn't there feeling a bit awkward about it because it seems kind of personal to me.  This pass Sunday because of the time change I ended up sleeping and missed going to church altogether.  That afternoon I got a phone call from a lady from the church asking me if everything was alright and why I wasn't there.  I know they mean well but I don't really have a relationship with these people outside of church. So when they call and start asking me why I missed or wasn't there, I kind of feel like I am in trouble or something for missing. Like I said I know that they mean well and they want me to know that I was missed, but maybe if I had more of a relationship with them I wouldn't feel so awkward having to explain my missing.  Truth be know I have issue with depression and anxiety and sometimes it hits me in the morning and I just don't want to leave the house. But I don't feel like sharing that with them just yet. 

Well thanks for letting me talk about this. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

About an year ago I started going to Sunday School Class at my church on Sunday mornings. I enjoy going but some Sundays I don't make it. On those Sunday that I skip Sunday School but make it in for church service, there is always someone coming up to me and asking me why I did not make it to Sunday School.  I find myself having to explain why I wasn't there feeling a bit awkward about it because it seems kind of personal to me.  This pass Sunday because of the time change I ended up sleeping and missed going to church altogether.  That afternoon I got a phone call from a lady from the church asking me if everything was alright and why I wasn't there.  I know they mean well but I don't really have a relationship with these people outside of church. So when they call and start asking me why I missed or wasn't there, I kind of feel like I am in trouble or something for missing. Like I said I know that they mean well and they want me to know that I was missed, but maybe if I had more of a relationship with them I wouldn't feel so awkward having to explain my missing.  Truth be know I have issue with depression and anxiety and sometimes it hits me in the morning and I just don't want to leave the house. But I don't feel like sharing that with them just yet. 

You should not have to explain why you did not make it to Sunday School Class. It puts you on the defense. That is not what Church is all about. It sounds like they are controlling. I have had anxiety from the day I was born so I can relate. I had to take all caffeine out of my diet. Caffeine is horrible for anxiety.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I know they mean well and I think they are just being polite and care that you are not there. I would rather have a church member notice that I am not there and ask then notice I am not there and never bother to ask. If my absence was legit I have no problems telling them. However if it was because I was doing something wrong or just missing because I don't want to be in church then, yeah, I think you wouldn't want to say because of guilt. 

As far as the depression. I don't know what it is like to suffer from depression or anxiety but I would ask the Lord to give you the strength to get to church. I would be curious as to what He would say about the situation. Just something to think about.

10 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

I know they mean well and I think they are just being polite and care that you are not there. I would rather have a church member notice that I am not there and ask then notice I am not there and never bother to ask. If my absence was legit I have no problems telling them. However if it was because I was doing something wrong or just missing because I don't want to be in church then, yeah, I think you wouldn't want to say because of guilt. 

As far as the depression. I don't know what it is like to suffer from depression or anxiety but I would ask the Lord to give you the strength to get to church. I would be curious as to what He would say about the situation. Just something to think about.

Some people think that you are going to hell in a hand basket if you do not attend Church. That is not the case. If a person has a comfortable Church where they attend that is great but that is not the case with everyone. A person can get together with a fellow Christian and pray and share Scripture.

Matthew 18:20  For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

38 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

It does not happen often and I am there more Sunday's then I miss. But some Sundays it does happen. Much more in the winter when it is cold then in the warmer months. And I have told them that I do much better when it is warmer. 

7 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

It does not happen often and I am there more Sunday's then I miss. But some Sundays it does happen. Much more in the winter when it is cold then in the warmer months. And I have told them that I do much better when it is warmer. 

Do you have S.A.D disorder LadyKay?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I know exactly what you're talking about. As a matter of fact our Pastor just recently mentioned in his sermon about the attendance and we should attend morning, evening service and Wednesday Bible study. I have to agree with him that giving up just a little of our time to worship, fellowship, sing hymns and serve the Lord should be our joy, appreciation, debt, duty, privilege and honor.

A number of times I've been tempted to mention that I missed someone at such and such event, but I did not because I didn't want them to think I was nosey or prying into their affairs and wanted to know why they were not there, or make them feel guilty. The reason I was tempted to tell them I missed them was, I genuinely like them and miss them, it's not their pattern to be absent, and most of all they are brothers and sisters in Christ and I have concern for them. 

It's my opinion the members or Pastor that asks about your absence has the best of intentions at heart. It's an outward expression that says you were missed, your accepted, we value you and your attendance. But like many, when on the other end of the query, the 'Old Man' in me wants to be defensive. I try not to look at it that way. When asked, I always consider my response and I won't plan on lying or being rude. The Lord knows our hearts, if we are to lazy to go, had other things to do that were more important than Him, had an emergency or was sick, is actually between us and Him. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I know exactly what you're talking about. As a matter of fact our Pastor just recently mentioned in his sermon about the attendance and we should attend morning, evening service and Wednesday Bible study. I have to agree with him that giving up just a little of our time to worship, fellowship, sing hymns and serve the Lord should be our joy, appreciation, debt, duty, privilege and honor.

A number of times I've been tempted to mention that I missed someone at such and such event, but I did not because I didn't want them to think I was nosey or prying into their affairs and wanted to know why they were not there, or make them feel guilty. The reason I was tempted to tell them I missed them was, I genuinely like them and miss them, it's not their pattern to be absent, and most of all they are brothers and sisters in Christ and I have concern for them. 

It's my opinion the members or Pastor that asks about your absence has the best of intentions at heart. It's an outward expression that says you were missed, your accepted, we value you and your attendance. But like many, when on the other end of the query, the 'Old Man' in me wants to be defensive. I try not to look at it that way. When asked, I always consider my response and I won't plan on lying or being rude. The Lord knows our hearts, if we are to lazy to go, had other things to do that were more important than Him, had an emergency or was sick, is actually between us and Him. 

So does this make you a better Christian?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, missmuffet said:

So does this make you a better Christian?

I didn't say that, I quoted what our Pastor said in a recent sermon.

But to answer your question, it depends on what your criteria is on a better Christian, or what a better Christian is? I'm in no position to judge anything, much less anyone else's heart about our Lord, I'm the one who is going to be judged one day soon. Knowing myself and my past, I'm the least of 'better Christians' and will be judged and rewarded accordingly to my great detriment. 

Personally speaking for myself, it makes ME a better Christian learning more about the Word of God, not being selfish (as I once was) with the time God has given ME to set aside to worship Him with a congregation and in church. To take advantage of like-minded fellow Christians coming together to worship, learning more of the Lord, singing praises to Him, and gaining strength one from another and comfort from one another in the faith in Jesus Christ our Lord. 

The Bible is loaded with good, better and best Christians... And I'm certainly not one of them.

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Do you have S.A.D disorder LadyKay?

It's possible but I have it all year round so I'm not sure. It is just worst in the winter.