• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

My wife and I do not currently have a home church.  The closest we came to a new home church after the Holy Spirit prompted us to leave the "Prosperity Gospel" church was a Southern Baptist sponsored Church.  We only left because the minister left and moved to another city.  He was an expository teacher, which is the type of preaching I prefer.  There are only a few TV preachers that I can stand to listen too.  So, I know what you mean.

You can get free mp3 sermons online, some of which are brilliant. With such great teaching available freely, why on earth do I need to go to some building and listen to an uneducated pastor billy-bob preaching his usual drivel. Many people are leaving the institutional church, and if they want good teaching, you can get far better free Bible sermons online than in some local church run by the Biblically illiterate, who'll then demand 10% of your income.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

10 hours ago, Limey_Bob said:

You can get free mp3 sermons online, some of which are brilliant. With such great teaching available freely, why on earth do I need to go to some building and listen to an uneducated pastor billy-bob preaching his usual drivel. Many people are leaving the institutional church, and if they want good teaching, you can get far better free Bible sermons online than in some local church run by the Biblically illiterate, who'll then demand 10% of your income.

My wife and I are drawn to two different types of teaching.  I am drawn to Apologetic and Expository Teaching; she is drawn to Prophetic End Times Teaching.  She is more interested in praise and worship; I'm more interested in building a closer relationship with God through study of his word.  Together, we balance each other out.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

12 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

My wife and I are drawn to two different types of teaching.  I am drawn to Apologetic and Expository Teaching; she is drawn to Prophetic End Times Teaching.  She is more interested in praise and worship; I'm more interested in building a closer relationship with God through study of his word.  Together, we balance each other out.

Hello saved by Grace, I am currently going through Kim Riddleberger's series on eschatology (A-Millennialism), which is excellent. Like you I also like expository teaching, and for that I tend to listen to sermons by James White, as well as his debates and a mutilpicity of sermons by former members of various cults, I myself used to be in the Apostolic Oneness movement (Jesus Only) in the late 1980s. Thank you for your wise comments regarding your wife and yourself balancing each other out, yes, that makes alot of sense, thank you for the advice.

4 hours ago, Limey_Bob said:

Hello saved by Grace, I am currently going through Kim Riddleberger's series on eschatology (A-Millennialism), which is excellent. Like you I also like expository teaching, and for that I tend to listen to sermons by James White, as well as his debates and a mutilpicity of sermons by former members of various cults, I myself used to be in the Apostolic Oneness movement (Jesus Only) in the late 1980s. Thank you for your wise comments regarding your wife and yourself balancing each other out, yes, that makes alot of sense, thank you for the advice.

You're welcome. I am not familiar with Kim Riddleberger, but I am with James White having heard him numerous times on the John Ankerberg Show.  I have the highest respect for James White and have several of his books on my shelves.  He makes my 157 IQ look like I should be attending some special needs classes.  He is brilliant.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

On 3/18/2017 at 2:06 AM, Snow said:

Hi JohnD

So whats with the random mention of KwikPhilly?  She may never read this! you might want to edit that!

And you sure say 'I' an awful lot

Snow

Yes, that would not be uncommon for someone who is sharing their personal experience with us. And their testimony as an apologist for Christ and God's word. 

Is that all you received from reading his work? Reason to criticize and speak for KwikPhilly? :( 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

Thank you JohnD. for your sharing your personal experience. I've looked into Apologetics for quite awhile and watched a few videos as Apologists debate the scriptures. A very emotional undertaking to be sure. And the vast amount of knowledge required to serve in the best example as Christ would want I feel would be enormous. You are certainly called by God if you're this committed for a long time. May God keep you ever still. 

18 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Kim Riddlebarger (my last contact with him) was an ordained pastor of the Christ Reformed Church, which was a breakaway from the CRC by Kim Riddlebarger and Michael Horton. They together hosted a radio program, The White Horse Inn, which aim was to bring a further awareness to the Evangelical Church of it's roots in the Reformation. He comes from a Belgic Reformed perspective and of course holds  to an amil position which I find rather bankrupt.

Yes.  I don't hold to the a-mil position either.  They have to re-date Revelations among other books to make their position acceptable.  Since I was saved 35 years ago, I haven't strayed from the pre-millennium position.  Thanks for the information.  God bless you.

23 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I didn't take eschatology too seriously for my first 35 years but had to rethink it all the past 8 years after grappling with Romans 11.

Well I was a Calvinist for a number of years.  I've read several of R. G. Sproul's books explaining T-U-L-I-P.  But John MacArthur is pre-millennial who also considers himself a Calvinist.  So I didn't change until the Holy Spirit changed me.  Now, I am more in line with Norman Geisler and John MacArthur, taking the best from both.  I only have a handful of preachers I trust.