notsolostsoul

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I know it was frowned upon in the Bible, but is it okay now to sell items in church. To use the Lord's house to sell Shirts and Purses?

I think I would feel a bit better if they sold Bibles or religious items. I don't know, am I the only one that feels this is wrong?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

I was once a member of a church that began selling Christian Books, one of the members business.  Not long after they started, a few years, the church disbanded.  Was if God?  I don't know because I left prior to that.  The distance became impossible to make each week.

I wouldn't sell anything in church.  Advertising is different.  I don't see anything wrong in letting people know you have a business and where that business is located.  Support your brother or sister is always a plus.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, notsolostsoul said:

I know it was frowned upon in the Bible, but is it okay now to sell items in church. To use the Lord's house to sell Shirts and Purses?

I think I would feel a bit better if they sold Bibles or religious items. I don't know, am I the only one that feels this is wrong?

No, your not alone:(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about selling in church?"

Answer:
The first Scriptures that come to mind in regard to selling in the church are Matthew 21:12-13; Mark 11:15-17; and Luke 19:45-46, all of which describe the incidents (there were two) when Jesus “cleansed” the Temple. When He saw the kinds of activities that were being carried on in His Father’s house, He became very angry. Clearly, this was not what the Temple was built for.

Jesus regarded both merchants and customers guilty of desecrating the temple. Items being bought and sold included "doves" and other animals for sacrifice (John 2:14). Also present were those who exchanged one currency for another. This was needed because Roman coins and other forms of currency were deemed unacceptable for temple offerings. Evidently, both merchants and money changers were charging such excessive rates that the temple marketplace took on the atmosphere of a thieves’ den (vs. 13).

Obviously, selling books, having a raffle, doing fundraising, etc., is different from what was going on in the temple. Jesus was not necessarily angry that they were selling in the temple, but rather that selling was becoming the focus instead of God. Jesus was also angry that the money-changers were taking advantage of people, many of whom were poor, who needed their services. Doves and other animals were required for the offering, and tithes in acceptable currency were also a requirement.

Such is not the case in today’s churches. Purchases in a church bookstore, for example, are entirely voluntary. No purchase is necessary to attend worship. If a church does decide to sell something inside the church, it should make sure that the selling does not receive undue attention and does not draw away from worship and the teaching of God’s Word. Selling should also never be made “high-pressure.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/selling-in-church.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, notsolostsoul said:

No, I don't think you're wrong at all, the chuch is where we worship the Lord , we have the example of Jesus where they were selling all kinds of stuff in the Temple:

Jesus Cleanses the Temple
…14In the temple courts ,He found men selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and money changers seated at their tables. 15So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle. He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16To those selling doves He said, “Get these out of here! How dare you turn My Father’s house into a marketplace!”…

Maybe  after the church is over a  Christian CD could be sold ..

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I don't have issue with selling items that would keep you close with God or your relationship with him. It should be about worshipping and becoming closer to God.

However, selling purses and other vanity items that doesn't sit well with me. 

Fundraising is one thing, but allowing an outside business in a church event in church building, to me seems like it is more to take advantage of committed church attendees. It's like using God and his house for advertisement.

Don't promote a Women's Day celebration and advertise come celebrate the Lord, give free food but pawn off purses. 

For that just have a Women's day celebration sell your purses but leave God out of it. Unless you do a quick prayer.

I don't know. I believe Church is for worshipping. If churches rent out their space to help small businesses or host events that's fine, but don't combine the two. Don't advertise as if they are one in the same.

This to me is using the Lord's name in vain. 

Edited by notsolostsoul

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I think  it depends on how it is done. If something is sold after the service kid food or drinks then no problem. But if u r using the church to advertise and time is taken from the service to do so . Or the service is used ti advertise then no

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

The Lords house is a house of spiritual profit, not financial. When you sell something in chuch then you put the put the dignity of being a house of worship on the chopping block as well.

I once was listening to a church service over the radio and the preacher began advertising for some business and it still angers me that it was done. I had to search for another station that I was comfortable with and something to wash out the bad taste the experience put in my mouth.

Edited by Churchmouse

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I think a lot depends on what's being sold, when it's being sold and whos selling it. Local church here had a small christian book store (has since closed) that they ran for awhile that they provided books that other stores in the area wouldn't provide...prices were kept at a minimum, it was never open anytime when it would interfere with church, and all in all a good resource. It was run by the church and not for profit, just enough to break even. I have no issue with that.

Another church actually has a coffee shop inside the door where, you got it, they actually sell coffee. And while the prices wernt outrageous they were definitely priced to make money, open on Sundays before, and after service. To me that sends the wrong message...tells people the church wants your money...other things about that church bothered me to, more of a social circle then anything else. 

I would take issue with people coming in and selling things during church/Church sponsored events. If your there to worship then you need to worship. If the church decides to have a church wide garage sale on a Saturday fine, but you shouldn't be selling your Tupperware during the meet and greet in service, and the last thing I want to see on my bulletin is an advertisement for Joe's plumbing and heating.

Basically what I'm getting at is time and place. There's a time and place for everything, and one should keep that in mind with churches.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Many churches in the UK have a stall selling fair-trade foods on a Sunday morning after the service. I have run such a stall for many years.

Why? Because "it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath." (Matthew 12:12) In the spirit of Isaiah 58: we can't divorce worship from concern for the poor.

I should make it absolutely clear that the stall is non-profit-making; any surplus cash goes back to developing fair trade and thus benefits the poor.