IGNORED

Thirteen Heresies in THE SHACK

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

Thirteen Heresies in THE SHACK

Thirteen Heresies in The Shack, written by Michael Youssef addresses 13 concerns with the novel and movie, and what the Bible has to say about them:

1. God the Father was crucified with Jesus.

Because God’s eyes are pure and cannot look upon sin, the Bible says that God would not look upon His own beloved Son as He hung on the Cross, carrying our sins (Habakkuk 1:13; Matthew 27:45).

2. God is limited by His love and cannot practice justice.

The Bible declares that God’s love and His justice are two sides of the same coin – equally a part of the personality and the character of God (Isaiah 61:8; Hosea 2:19).

3. On the Cross, God forgave all of humanity, whether they repent or not. Some choose a relationship with Him, but He forgives them all regardless.

Jesus explained that only those who come to Him will be saved (John 14:6).

4. Hierarchical structures, whether they are in the Church or in the government, are evil.

Our God is a God of order (Job 25:2).

5. God will never judge people for their sins.

The Word of God repeatedly invites people to escape from the judgment of God by believing in Jesus Christ, His Son (Romans 2:16; 2 Timothy 4:1-3).

6. There is not a hierarchical structure in the Godhead, just a circle of unity.

The Bible says that Jesus submitted to the will of the Father. This doesn’t mean that one Person is higher or better than the other; just unique. Jesus said, “I came to do the will of Him who sent me. I am here to obey my Father.” Jesus also said, “I will send you the Holy Spirit” (John 4:34, 6:44, 14:26, 15:26).

Related: Also read this article from Movieguide®’s Managing Editor about both the positive and negative qualities to THE SHACK.

7. God submits to human wishes and choices.

Far from God submitting to us, Jesus said, “Narrow is the way that leads to eternal life.” We are to submit to Him in all things, for His glory and because of what He has accomplished for us (Matthew 7:13-15).

8. Justice will never take place because of love.

The Bible teaches that when God’s love is rejected, and when the offer of salvation and forgiveness is rejected, justice must take place or God has sent Jesus Christ to die on the cross for nothing (Matthew 12:20; Romans 3:25-26).

9. There is no such a thing as eternal judgment or torment in hell.

Jesus’ own description of hell is vivid. It cannot be denied (Luke 12:5, 16:23).

10. Jesus is walking with all people in their different journeys to God, and it doesn’t matter which way you get to Him.

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life, and no one will come to the Father but by me” (John 14:6).

11. Jesus is constantly being transformed along with us.

Jesus, who dwells in the splendor of heaven, sits at the right hand of God, reigning and ruling the universe. The Bible says, “In Him there is no change, for He is yesterday, today, and forever” (Hebrews 11:12, 13:8; James1:17).

12. There is no need for faith or reconciliation with God because everyone will make it to heaven.

Jesus said, “Only those who believe in me will have eternal life” (John 3:15, 3:36, 5:24, 6:40).

13. The Bible is not true because it reduces God to paper.

The Bible is God-breathed. Sure, there were many men through 1,800 years who put pen to paper (so to speak), each from different professions and different backgrounds, but the Holy Spirit infused their work with God’s words. These men were writing the same message from Genesis to Revelation. If you want to read more about the place of Christ in the Scripture, read “We Preach Christ” (2 Timothy 3:16).

https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/thirteen-heresies-in-the-shack.html

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

Thirteen (supposed) Heresies in The Shack, a book written by Michael Youssef, addresses 13 undocumented, unspecified and unidentified concerns with the novel and movie, and what he thinks the Bible has to say about his mistaken assumptions:

Basically, he makes many “inventive” claims, but in all of his published lists I could locate, he stays far away from ever saying where any of his accusations are to be found in the pages of Young’s book.  That should be a pretty embarrassing omission to anyone trying to rely on his “research.”  Admittedly, he may have addressed more in his actual book, but I am not willing to support him by buying a copy.

1.  God the Father was crucified with Jesus.
Because God’s eyes are pure and cannot look upon sin, the Bible says that God would not look upon His own beloved Son as He hung on the Cross, carrying our sins (
Habakkuk 1:13; Matthew 27:45).
      Yes, I know where The Shack says this in several places, and because of many other times in the Bible where Jesus and God are shown as one, I believe this to be true. Both references Youssef uses are bogusly applied.  The first, in Habakkuk, even says, right there in that passage, that God DOES look upon sinners.  In fact, that is the whole issue of what Habakkuk is complaining about.
In Matthew, Jesus is quoting the 22nd Psalm where it declares God never left Jesus.  This specific point is stressed in other parts of the Bible also.

2.  God is limited by His love and cannot practice justice.
The Bible declares that God’s love and His justice are two sides of the same coin — equally a part of the personality and the character of God (
Isaiah 61:8; Hosea 2:19).
      Youssef seems to fall into the typical religious trap of thinking “justice” is ‘getting even with humanity’, when the Bible speaks of justice as ‘making things right.’  Youssef, and many preachers seem to have a burning desire to make “fire & wrath” the major theme of the Bible.  I see “love & forgiveness.”  The very act of Salvation is God making things right (reconciling) with man again through His love.

3.  On the Cross, God forgave all of humanity, whether they repent or not.  Some choose a relationship with Him, but He forgives them all regardless.
Jesus explained that only those who come to Him will be saved (
John 14:6).
      Indeed, He did forgive all of humanity. (
John 3:16 kind of includes “all of humanity.”)  And, His very words as He was hanging there, being murdered by “humanity”, people who could hardly be called ‘repentant ’, were: “Father, forgive them.”  Much of The Shack centers on “relationship”… THAT is “being saved”, in Religious parlance.

4.  Hierarchical structures, whether they are in the Church or in the government, are evil.
Our God is a God of order (
Job 25:2).
      Still, Youssef misreads the very words written.  This conversation is conducted from about page 121 to the end of chapter 8 at page127 in the paperback book.  I suggest you go read it, as it is too much to repost here.

5.  God will never judge people for their sins.
The Word of God repeatedly invites people to escape from the judgment of God by believing in Jesus Christ, His Son (
Romans 2:16; 2 Timothy 4:1-3).
      Again, The Shack’s term for “saved” is deliberately being ignored.  It honestly seems that much of the consternation directed against The Shack is due to not finding the identical, comfortable and expected “religious” words so many of us were taught to respond to.  (Frankly, I think most of The Shack was written to avoid that Legalistic snare that has thrown so many people off course.)
In truth, the Bible says that we are ALREADY judged and condemned because of our sinful condition, and The Shack never says differently.

6.  There is not a hierarchical structure in the Godhead, just a circle of unity.
The Bible says that Jesus submitted to the will of the Father.  This doesn’t mean that one Person is higher or better than the other; just unique.  Jesus said, “I came to do the will of Him who sent me.  I am here to obey my Father.”  Jesus also said, “I will send you the Holy Spirit” (
John 4:34, 6:44, 14:26, 15:26).
      Go read what I suggested in my answer to “question # 4.” Youssef is getting almost ridiculous in this line of thinking.

7.  God submits to human wishes and choices.
Far from God submitting to us, Jesus said, “Narrow is the way that leads to eternal life.”  We are to submit to Him in all things, for His glory and because of what He has accomplished for us (
Matthew 7:13-15).
      I have to admit that I have no idea where Youssef ever came up with this from the conversation on pages 145 & 146, the only place something like this is mentioned.  My guess is that, once again, he has gotten entangled in semantics, and is trying to make an issue where none exists.

8.  Justice will never take place because of love.
The Bible teaches that when God’s love is rejected, and when the offer of salvation and forgiveness is rejected, justice must take place or God has sent Jesus Christ to die on the cross for nothing (
Matthew 12:20; Romans 3:25-26).
      Again, I searched and searched for this, but couldn’t find anything even close.

9.  There is no such a thing as eternal judgment or torment in hell.
Jesus’ own description of hell is vivid.  It cannot be denied (
Luke 12:5, 16:23).
      I think, once again, that Youssef is upset because The Shack did not preach “Fire & Brimstone.”  Just the anguish of the scene in the cave where Sophia (Wisdom) askes Mack to choose which of his kids to send to Hell should dispel the obsession. (Pg. 161 & 162)  And, Youssef does seem to have an obsession with wanting to be punished and beaten.  BTW, neither of those Scripture references is a description of Hell, any more than “streets of gold” is a description of Heaven.

10.  Jesus is walking with all people in their different journeys to God, and it doesn’t matter which way you get to Him.
Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life, and no one will come to the Father but by me” (
John 14:6).
      Something else that I cannot find in Young’s book.  (Youssef seems to be fanatical about this “creative imagining” he engages in.)  I believe he really thinks only those in America’s Bible Belt, and who pronounce a word, “J-E-S-U-S”, are allowed to experience the Savior of the world.

11.  Jesus is constantly being transformed along with us.
Jesus, who dwells in the splendor of heaven, sits at the right hand of God, reigning and ruling the universe.  The Bible says, “In Him there is no change, for He is yesterday, today, and forever” (
Hebrews 11:12, 13:8; James1:17).
      I am really trying hard not to call Youssef a flat-out liar on this statement.  No such suggestion is anywhere to be found in Young’s book.

12.  There is no need for faith or reconciliation with God because everyone will make it to heaven.
Jesus said, “Only those who believe in me will have eternal life” (
John 3:15, 3:36, 5:24, 6:40).
      This is such an absurd assertion that it doesn’t even merit addressing.  Mack was even challenged to choose which of his children to send to Hell, and which to send to Heaven.

13.  The Bible is not true because it reduces God to paper.
The Bible is God-breathed.  Sure, there were many men through 1,800 years who put pen to paper (so to speak), each from different professions and different backgrounds, but the Holy Spirit infused their work with God’s words.  These men were writing the same message from Genesis to Revelation.  If you want to read more about the place of Christ in the Scripture, read “We Preach Christ” (
2 Timothy 3:16).
      Again, not in the book.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Can I just say that the shack is of darkness and a pile of dung and deceptive lies .  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Can I just say that the shack is of darkness and a pile of dung and deceptive lies .  

Sure you can say anything.  But just like Michael Youssef, you can't show it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

I think yowm already knows MY ANSWER .     a child of three could figure out how I felt about that book .   Its simple like that .  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Willie T said:

Sure you can say anything.  But just like Michael Youssef, you can't show it.

Are you a born again  Christian Willie?

If so please ask the Holy Spirit to show you the truth? The book is very deceptive and it completely teaches a different gospel,it's blasphemy ! Michael Yoessoef also has a good video where he preached about this on YouTube,it's actually in the forum under Christian topics  ,it's well worth taking your time to listen to .

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Yowm said:

Edited by Willie T

9 hours ago, angels4u said:

Are you a born again  Christian Willie?

If so please ask the Holy Spirit to show you the truth? The book is very deceptive and it completely teaches a different gospel,it's blasphemy ! Michael Yoessoef also has a good video where he preached about this on YouTube,it's actually in the forum under Christian topics  ,it's well worth taking your time to listen to .

What did you think about the scene on page 152 and following?

4 minutes ago, Yowm said:

??? Was that a 'yes' or 'no'?

I couldn't figure out what you meant by asking "if I agreed" with the very words I wrote in the post I put online.  Of course I agree with my own words.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The Shack is a novel, it is not a replacement or an extension of the Bible and neither is it trying to be. The book try to wrestle with the themes of God's love and forgiveness, judgement, why evil exists, loss and grief and many more.

Personally, I enjoyed both the look and the film. I may not agree with all of it, but I don't have to. I still feel it is powerful and ultimately its message is one of hope.

• Thumbs Up 1