• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

I'm interested in spiritual fasting . But I'm worried about feeling awful. A youth pastor I had said its okay to have a meal replacement drink if needed but I don't know. I fasted two meals once. 

But I used to not eat when I was depressed. I'm afraid I will turn depressed again 

But maybe not

Any instructions or advice? I'm thinking when I do give up coffee too because all that makes me feel miserable on that alone . 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

What would you be fasting for?  How long would you be fasting for?

Have you read Isaiah 58:6-12 when considering fasting?

Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’

If you take away the yoke from your midst,
The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your darkness shall be as the noonday.
The Lord will guide you continually,
And satisfy your soul in drought,
And strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden,
And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
Those from among you
Shall build the old waste places;
You shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach,
The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In.

Consider if any or all is the reason(s) for your fast before committing to it.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Just some thought I don't think fasting is just excluded to fasting. Fasting is the idea that we are sacrificing something that we would normally do so that we can focus on God and really seek Him and then grow in Him.  Fasting is beneficial for our spiritual maturity not get God to do what we want. Not that is what you are doing just something I was thinking about when writing this.

Fasting can be any number of things like giving up TV, radio, video games or pretty much anything that tends to keep us from truly spending time with God. There are people that can't fast from food because it would extremely dangerous for them to do so. So my opinion is that food isn't the only thing we can fast from. 

Remember again fasting shouldn't be for God to do what we ask but so that God can take us and form us more into more mature Christians. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I fasted several times as a young Christian. Then I started getting migraines when missing a meal, so I more or less gave up for many years. But now that I'm older, my migraine has resolved - so I'm cautiously getting back into the habit.

If you're worried about how you will cope, just miss one meal and see how it goes. 

You could try fasting from evening to evening (starting after an early dinner and finishing before a late dinner).

You could try a "Daniel fast" (Daniel 10:3), just giving up 'nice' foods.

It's not a good idea to give up tea or coffee during a short fast, as you will get caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

There are no rules about Christian fasting, and you don't have to subscribe to anyone else's idea of how it should be done. It's just between you and God.

Edited by Deborah_

19 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

I fasted several times as a young Christian. Then I started getting migraines when missing a meal, so I more or less gave up for many years. But now that I'm older, my migraine has resolved - so I'm cautiously getting back into the habit.

If you're worried about how you will cope, just miss one meal and see how it goes. 

You could try fasting from evening to evening (starting after an early dinner and finishing before a late dinner).

You could try a "Daniel fast" (Daniel 10:3), just giving up 'nice' foods.

It's not a good idea to give up tea or coffee during a short fast, as you will get caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

There are no rules about Christian fasting, and you don't have to subscribe to anyone else's idea of how it should be done. It's just between you and God.

Just for the record, Daniel 10:1-3  speaks of morning, not fasting.

In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a message was revealed to Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar. The message was true, but the appointed time was long; and he understood the message, and had understanding of the vision. In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks.  I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

59 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

Just some thought I don't think fasting is just excluded to fasting. Fasting is the idea that we are sacrificing something that we would normally do so that we can focus on God and really seek Him and then grow in Him.  Fasting is beneficial for our spiritual maturity not get God to do what we want. Not that is what you are doing just something I was thinking about when writing this.

Fasting can be any number of things like giving up TV, radio, video games or pretty much anything that tends to keep us from truly spending time with God. There are people that can't fast from food because it would extremely dangerous for them to do so. So my opinion is that food isn't the only thing we can fast from. 

Remember again fasting shouldn't be for God to do what we ask but so that God can take us and form us more into more mature Christians. 

That is mans idea of fasting.  Can you provide scripture that shows where fasting is to go without other things but food and/or water?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

That is mans idea of fasting.  Can you provide scripture that shows where fasting is to go without other things but food and/or water?

As I said my thoughts were just opinion my friend nothing more. I haven't studied the act of fasting and won't claim to know everything on it. Definitely something to look further into and there are good, godly people that believe the way you do OneLight and the way I look at fasting. 

Thank you for reiterating that this is your personal thought.  Usually peoples thoughts are based on something they read.  I was just wondering where in scripture you would derive this from.  I agree that not everyone is called to fast as it would not be beneficial to them due to illnesses. 

I would also add that in these days where multitasking in expected, it is very hard to cut loose the ties to this world to incorporate a fast that includes getting alone with God properly.  One would have to take the time off and go into the wilderness to get away from everything and be alone with God.  There are just too many distractions today to focus on Him and His will for our lives.  

Other fasts do not include getting alone with God and to seek His time, which is why we are not to appear as fasting to others.

That is the reason why I asked what are the reasons for fasting to the OP.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, preciouspearl said:

I'm interested in spiritual fasting . But I'm worried about feeling awful. A youth pastor I had said its okay to have a meal replacement drink if needed but I don't know. I fasted two meals once. 

But I used to not eat when I was depressed. I'm afraid I will turn depressed again 

But maybe not

Any instructions or advice? I'm thinking when I do give up coffee too because all that makes me feel miserable on that alone . 

Hey Precious :)

Why would you want to fast?

Do you have a good reason to fast? 

A person can fast as onto the Lord  , that's between the person and God, you have to be careful of what you're doing, don't fast so man can see how good you can fast,  if you want to fast for God then let nobody know you're fasting otherwise there will be no reward from God and you do it to look good.

Matthew 6:16-18

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Here are lots of verses about fasting:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-fasting/

You can pm me too if you would like to talk :):)

You're precious and God loves you !

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

I posted this for guidance from everyone

However I'm fasting for God's direction, will, healing  and guidance. 

I want to do it on a day no one notices I'm eating or not . The last time I fasted was kept private .