• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

3 minutes ago, preciouspearl said:

I posted this for guidance from everyone

However I'm fasting for God's direction, will, healing  and guidance. 

I want to do it on a day no one notices I'm eating or not . The last time I fasted was kept private . 

Than I suggest you take time to be alone with God while fasting, focusing on your relationship with Him.  Since it is for just one day, then this should be easy to accomplish.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

31 minutes ago, preciouspearl said:

I posted this for guidance from everyone

However I'm fasting for God's direction, will, healing  and guidance. 

I want to do it on a day no one notices I'm eating or not . The last time I fasted was kept private . 

Hey Precious,

You should be fine if you only want to do it for one day ,just read your Bible ad pray and focus on God ,maybe a rest day might be a good day to do it so you will not get distracted from the world too much?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

4 hours ago, OneLight said:

That is mans idea of fasting.  Can you provide scripture that shows where fasting is to go without other things but food and/or water?

Joel 2:12  “Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.”

Exodus 19:15  And he said to the people, “Be ready for the third day; do not go near a woman.”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Christian fasting - what does the Bible say?"

Answer:
Scripture does not command Christians to fast. God does not require or demand it of Christians. At the same time, the Bible presents fasting as something that is good, profitable, and beneficial. The book of Acts records believers fasting before they made important decisions (Acts 13:2; 14:23). Fasting and prayer are often linked together (Luke 2:37; 5:33). Too often, the focus of fasting is on the lack of food. Instead, the purpose of fasting should be to take your eyes off the things of this world to focus completely on God. Fasting is a way to demonstrate to God, and to ourselves, that we are serious about our relationship with Him. Fasting helps us gain a new perspective and a renewed reliance upon God.

Although fasting in Scripture is almost always a fasting from food, there are other ways to fast. Anything given up temporarily in order to focus all our attention on God can be considered a fast (1 Corinthians 7:1-5). Fasting should be limited to a set time, especially when fasting from food. Extended periods of time without eating can be harmful to the body. Fasting is not intended to punish the flesh, but to redirect attention to God. Fasting should not be considered a “dieting method” either. The purpose of a biblical fast is not to lose weight, but rather to gain deeper fellowship with God. Anyone can fast, but some may not be able to fast from food (diabetics, for example). Everyone can temporarily give up something in order to draw closer to God.

By taking our eyes off the things of this world, we can more successfully turn our attention to Christ. Fasting is not a way to get God to do what we want. Fasting changes us, not God. Fasting is not a way to appear more spiritual than others. Fasting is to be done in a spirit of humility and a joyful attitude. Matthew 6:16-18 declares, “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/fasting-Christian.html

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, preciouspearl said:

I'm interested in spiritual fasting . But I'm worried about feeling awful. A youth pastor I had said its okay to have a meal replacement drink if needed but I don't know. I fasted two meals once. 

But I used to not eat when I was depressed. I'm afraid I will turn depressed again 

But maybe not

Any instructions or advice? I'm thinking when I do give up coffee too because all that makes me feel miserable on that alone . 

Remember that though fasting is commendable and there are times when we should put God over the desires of the flesh, fasting also is not a commandment.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

On 3/19/2017 at 9:35 AM, preciouspearl said:

I'm interested in spiritual fasting . But I'm worried about feeling awful. A youth pastor I had said its okay to have a meal replacement drink if needed but I don't know. I fasted two meals once. 

But I used to not eat when I was depressed. I'm afraid I will turn depressed again 

But maybe not

Any instructions or advice? I'm thinking when I do give up coffee too because all that makes me feel miserable on that alone . 

I think you should also consider what you are going to do with fasting. Lot of people simply think fasting is starving themselves and hoping God would see the pain the person is undertaking and grant the wishes somehow. I am explaining it in a crude way! But that is what is really happening. Fasting is not about us, but about God. It is a way to be drawn closer to God. A way to listen to His voice more clearly. A way to focus on Him without any distractions. And putting our petitions to Him is part of that. I am not saying it is not there at all. It is not the only thing.

How we do fast? We keep ourselves separated from sources of distraction. Food is one such distraction. Any fasting (or skipping meals) without time of prayer and meditation on Word of God is not of much use. Bible does not say prayer and fasting should be done together. But we see all through the Bible that Prayer and Fasting are always done together.

I would suggest to start skipping morning breakfast. Most of us are used to this! And then spend the entire morning in prayers and Bible reading. You can do this alone or with someone else. Or even in small group. Prepare on what you are going to pray about.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,424
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

The  human  anatomy for each person will vary and while some can fast with ease, others will have  restrictions.    For instance, i like coffee, especially the Tim Hortons we have here in Canada. I usually have two or three small cups a day and i am comfortable with that. When i go to the caribbean for two or three weeks i don't drink coffee at all and i don't miss it at all.  You on the other hand has some issue if you withdraw for a day.  The Lord looks at your heart and the intent of the act.  Fasting, is one way of putting aside the desire of the flesh to give special attention to the spiritual part of your being in an act of worship to your creator, if i can put it that way.   It is denying the cravings of one of the three parts of man to satisfy or please the other part, that is denying the flesh to satisfy the spirit which has its groaning's too.    And we know the spirit of man is where our communication with the Lord is engaged.   Hope i am making sense.

When i have to go do blood test for physical checkup, we need to fast for 12 hrs.  I do that with ease, and i have never really tried to do a day or couple of days fasting, as my flesh likes to be satisfied too much.  Have to work on that.