LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Have you ever had the Holy Spirit take over your church service? This happens a lot in my church. There have been times when the pastor has a sermon all ready to go, then like a wave people start coming  up to the alter for payer or start popping up all over giving testimonies about this or that. Then the whole order of the service changes. The pastor at times has put away his sermon and just let the Spirit flow.  Praises to God break out all over.  Or there have been times when the service takes a direction that the pastor says "well I was going to preach on this topic, but I am being lead to put that away and talk about something else." I just wonder if anyone else has  experience this?

Yes. This happens in our church as well. It is all too common for many people to reject this, however. Many are afraid of Holy Spirit when He shows up.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

"All things should be done decently and in order." 1 Cor. 14 applies to this as well.  1Co 14:26  How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 

1Co 14:32  and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 1Co 14:33  For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. 

1Co 14:37  If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 1Co 14:38  If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.  1Co 14:39  So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 1Co 14:40  But all things should be done decently and in order.

I have had the pastor preach on something else, and have seen people stay after church to come forward for prayer.  But the importance of the preaching of the Word should be respected.    Normally praise and worship occurs at the beginning of a service. But I don't see anything wrong with spontaneous praise and worship that doesn't interrupt.   However, some churches such as the old time Brethren or Quakers had spontaneous contribution as the norm of order.  

What I do object to is fleshly demonstrations of people claiming to be under the power of the Holy Spirit.  Or even confession that is given to draw attention to self.  In time it is easy to discern whether it glorifies God or not, and what things are for the edification of all. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

That's how the Vineyards were when they first started out. Look where they ended up.

I don't know who the Vineyard are?   And I guess I should add that the service isn't chaotic. No one is running around  while someone else is jumping up and down while rolling on the floor. There is still an order to things. If you walked in off the street you would be able to follow what is going on and not think we have all gone crazy.  Its like "well we were going to sing this song, but I feel lead to sing different song and have a call to prayer instead." Stuff like that.   Which leads me to think that this is from the Holy Spirit. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

16 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Have you ever had the Holy Spirit take over your church service? This happens a lot in my church. There have been times when the pastor has a sermon all ready to go, then like a wave people start coming  up to the alter for payer or start popping up all over giving testimonies about this or that. Then the whole order of the service changes. The pastor at times has put away his sermon and just let the Spirit flow.  Praises to God break out all over.  Or there have been times when the service takes a direction that the pastor says "well I was going to preach on this topic, but I am being lead to put that away and talk about something else." I just wonder if anyone else has  experience this?

I no longer attend a "church" as church is known in this country, but do have a group of believers who come together to study the word and lift God and each other up.   What you describe is our normal meeting, we always have a plan, but rarely stick to it.  Things change during the time since the last meeting and we need to be flexible and change as needed. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

My wife and I have visited the church my daughter attends. Very solid church.  Much larger than our church. She met her husband to be there. Several times while visiting a regular service, the choir singing was so moving prior to the sermon, as it flowed from one hymn to another, you could sense a real moving of God's presence. I'm not ashamed to admit  I was moved to tears. The pastor came up to the pulpit several times while the music was still going, and several times he went back and sat down. He had no problem sharing the pulpit.  I had never seen this before. As for the Holy Spirit taking over the service, I cannot comment. There was order, but there was also a real sense of worship. A lack of judgemental thoughts watching a "different" church service, more of feeling as part of their members/fellowship. And plenty of joy. As far as I'm concerned, though, there was no doubt about this having been a true worship service, as the spirit of God was very evident. And I miss it. And Yes! There was emotion. Plenty. But very Respectful.

That sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing that with us. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

14 hours ago, Willa said:

"All things should be done decently and in order." 1 Cor. 14 applies to this as well.  1Co 14:26  How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 

1Co 14:32  and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 1Co 14:33  For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. 

1Co 14:37  If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 1Co 14:38  If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.  1Co 14:39  So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 1Co 14:40  But all things should be done decently and in order.

I have had the pastor preach on something else, and have seen people stay after church to come forward for prayer.  But the importance of the preaching of the Word should be respected.    Normally praise and worship occurs at the beginning of a service. But I don't see anything wrong with spontaneous praise and worship that doesn't interrupt.   However, some churches such as the old time Brethren or Quakers had spontaneous contribution as the norm of order.  

What I do object to is fleshly demonstrations of people claiming to be under the power of the Holy Spirit.  Or even confession that is given to draw attention to self.  In time it is easy to discern whether it glorifies God or not, and what things are for the edification of all. 

Seeing how the knowledge of The Scripture comes with promise

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I believe I will hold to the study of God's Word and the doing of what it says... this is correct Willa what you have said and the spirits of this simply have not passed the test of Scripture as that from God....
Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, LadyKay said:

THAT is the way that the Spirit really acts in the church. Not the Charismatic type of nonsense with people laughing like drunken idiots, babbling nonsense, or whatever else pops up in these churches.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, LadyKay said:

Sounds like a bit like The Day of Pentecost with The Apostles of Christ and everyone hearing their own native tongues, over 3,000 people from all around from surrounding places heard the Gospel being spoken in their native tongues by the Apostles who were of Israel.  Acts 2:1-12   http://biblehub.com/kjv/acts/2.htm

Edited by delade3