• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  4,329
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

Mark 6:14-29King James Version (KJV)

14 And king Herod heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad:) and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.

15 Others said, That it is Elias. And others said, That it is a prophet, or as one of the prophets.

16 But when Herod heard thereof, he said, It is John, whom I beheaded: he is risen from the dead.

17 For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her.

18 For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife.

19 Therefore Herodias had a quarrel against him, and would have killed him; but she could not:

20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.

21 And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, high captains, and chief estates of Galilee;

22 And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee.

23 And he sware unto her, Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom.

24 And she went forth, and said unto her mother, What shall I ask? And she said, The head of John the Baptist.

25 And she came in straightway with haste unto the king, and asked, saying, I will that thou give me by and by in a charger the head of John the Baptist.

26 And the king was exceeding sorry; yet for his oath's sake, and for their sakes which sat with him, he would not reject her.

27 And immediately the king sent an executioner, and commanded his head to be brought: and he went and beheaded him in the prison,

28 And brought his head in a charger, and gave it to the damsel: and the damsel gave it to her mother.

29 And when his disciples heard of it, they came and took up his corpse, and laid it in a tomb.

Mark 6:14-29 - John the Baptist Beheaded

Edited by Walter and Deborah
less info.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

your post is a tad confusing.  Is there a individual part of this passage that you would like to discuss?  Otherwise it seems to be  pretty benign chapter that gives some details on the actions of Jesus during his ministry on earth. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Yes, being more specific would be nice.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42

14 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

Mark 6:14-29King James Version (KJV)

14 And king Herod heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad:) and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.

15 Others said, That it is Elias. And others said, That it is a prophet, or as one of the prophets.

16 But when Herod heard thereof, he said, It is John, whom I beheaded: he is risen from the dead.

17 For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her.

18 For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife.

19 Therefore Herodias had a quarrel against him, and would have killed him; but she could not:

20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.

21 And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, high captains, and chief estates of Galilee;

22 And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee.

23 And he sware unto her, Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom.

24 And she went forth, and said unto her mother, What shall I ask? And she said, The head of John the Baptist.

25 And she came in straightway with haste unto the king, and asked, saying, I will that thou give me by and by in a charger the head of John the Baptist.

26 And the king was exceeding sorry; yet for his oath's sake, and for their sakes which sat with him, he would not reject her.

27 And immediately the king sent an executioner, and commanded his head to be brought: and he went and beheaded him in the prison,

28 And brought his head in a charger, and gave it to the damsel: and the damsel gave it to her mother.

29 And when his disciples heard of it, they came and took up his corpse, and laid it in a tomb.

Mark 6:14-29 - John the Baptist Beheaded

What was the mission of 

Jonh the Baptist. 

Why he had to be born in a different way , 

What did JESUS say about Jonh. 

Do you think it was from God that Herod's daughter asked for the death of Jonh and in this peculiar way. 

Do you think it was part of Jonh's mission to die before JESUS CHRIST? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

From my observations from other posts the OP has done the OP is not really trying to discuss anything. All the posts I have seen them post are just scripture passages and that is about it. I don't think they are trying to post a discussion. Just my observations. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

The SCRIPTURE,  the WORD OF YHWH is TRUTH, is edifying, is like good seed .....

the discussions are usually not.  

So posting the WORD OF YHWH (THE BIBLE),  AT LEAST might give someone a chance to hear the TRUTH.

That's just my observation.

10 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

What was the mission of 

Jonh the Baptist. 

Why he had to be born in a different way , 

What did JESUS say about Jonh. 

Do you think it was from God that Herod's daughter asked for the death of Jonh and in this peculiar way. 

Do you think it was part of Jonh's mission to die before JESUS CHRIST? 

By reading the scriptures I find the below answers to your questions:

1. What was the mission of 

John the Baptist?

A. The Mission of John the Baptist (3:1–20)

Once again Luke sets his story in the context of world history (vv. 1-2). He then declares John to be the person expected to prepare the way for the Lord. With his concern for the church's universal mission, Luke extends the quotation fromIsaiah 40:3-5 as far as the statement that all humanity will see God's salvation(vv. 4-6).

At the heart of John's message was the call to a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins (v. 3). This baptism symbolized both initiation and cleansing. It was used as a rite of initiation for gentile converts to Judaism, and the Jews practiced frequent ritual washings to cleanse themselves from defilement. The Baptist's claim that God could raise up from stones children to Abraham (v. 8) suggests that he regarded baptism as an initiation into a spiritual Israel. He also saw it as a symbol of cleansing from moral defilement. He put great emphasis on judgment and the need to bear fruit in conduct (vv. 7-9). He addressed social questions, including the sharing of clothes and food, honesty among tax collectors, and avoidance of injustice by soldiers (vv. 10-14). His denunciation of Herod Antipas for marrying his brother's wife and for other unnamed evil things was his most provocative ethical teaching. It was this denunciation that led to the Baptist's imprisonment and death (vv. 19-20; see Mt 14:1-12; Mk 6:14-29).

The Baptist prophesied the coming of one more powerful than himself who would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire (vv. 16-17). This baptism took place at Pentecost and, of course, on subsequent occasions.

Spirit baptism may be accompanied by outward manifestations, but, being spiritual, it is essentially an inward change. It is described as a baptism with fire, says Clarke (1:53, on Mt 3:11), because the Spirit is “to illuminate andinvigorate the soul, penetrate every part, and assimilate the whole to the image of the God of glory.” The Spirit, says John Wesley (Notes, 24, on Mt 3:11), inflames people's hearts with the “fire of love.” The image of fire is often used for divine judgment. But insofar as judgment effects purification, it is not separate from baptism with the Spirit; it is part of the Spirit's work of inward change.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/asbury-bible-commentary/Mission-John-Baptist

2. Why John The Baptist had to be born in a different way? To prepare the way of the Messiah, making his path straight. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Isaiah 40:3 

3. What did JESUS say about John?

I say to you, no one among those born of women is greater than John; yet the least ... that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist

Luke 7:28 

4. Do you think it was from God that Herod's daughter asked for the death of John and in this peculiar way? Yes I do think that it was in the plan of God for the end of John The Baptist ministry: 

1At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus, 2And said unto his servants, This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead; and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.

3For Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife. 4For John said unto him, It is not lawful for thee to have her. 5And when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.

6But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. 7Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. 8And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger. 9And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath's sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. 10And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. 11And his head was brought in a charger, and given to the damsel: and she brought it to her mother. 12And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus. Matthew 14:1-12. 

5. Do you think it was part of John's mission to die before JESUS CHRIST? 

Yes I do think that God plan of John the Baptist mission was set to end before Jesus Christ. By reading the above full scriptures. Thanks. Now, what is your reason for asking?

Edited by Walter and Deborah
More info.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

17 minutes ago, Walter and Deborah said:

John the Baptist?

Once again Luke sets his story in the context of world history (vv. 1-2). He then declares John to be the person expected to prepare the way for the Lord. With his concern for the church's universal mission, Luke extends the quotation fromIsaiah 40:3-5 as far as the statement that all humanity will see God's salvation(vv. 4-6).

At the heart of John's message was the call to a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins (v. 3). This baptism symbolized both initiation and cleansing. It was used as a rite of initiation for gentile converts to Judaism, and the Jews practiced frequent ritual washings to cleanse themselves from defilement. The Baptist's claim that God could raise up from stones children to Abraham (v. 8) suggests that he regarded baptism as an initiation into a spiritual Israel. He also saw it as a symbol of cleansing from moral defilement. He put great emphasis on judgment and the need to bear fruit in conduct (vv. 7-9). He addressed social questions, including the sharing of clothes and food, honesty among tax collectors, and avoidance of injustice by soldiers (vv. 10-14). His denunciation of Herod Antipas for marrying his brother's wife and for other unnamed evil things was his most provocative ethical teaching. It was this denunciation that led to the Baptist's imprisonment and death (vv. 19-20; see Mt 14:1-12; Mk 6:14-29).

The Baptist prophesied the coming of one more powerful than himself who would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire (vv. 16-17). This baptism took place at Pentecost and, of course, on subsequent occasions.

Spirit baptism may be accompanied by outward manifestations, but, being spiritual, it is essentially an inward change. It is described as a baptism with fire, says Clarke (1:53, on Mt 3:11), because the Spirit is “to illuminate andinvigorate the soul, penetrate every part, and assimilate the whole to the image of the God of glory.” The Spirit, says John Wesley (Notes, 24, on Mt 3:11), inflames people's hearts with the “fire of love.” The image of fire is often used for divine judgment. But insofar as judgment effects purification, it is not separate from baptism with the Spirit; it is part of the Spirit's work of inward change.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/asbury-bible-commentary/Mission-John-Baptist

It had nothing to do with "John the Baptist's mission and plan for himself" it was all about what God's plan and purpose was for John the Baptist's mission and death.

16 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It had nothing to do with "John the Baptist's mission and plan for himself" it was all about what God's plan and purpose was for John the Baptist's mission and death.

The scriptures are saying the same as above. It is not worth any disagreement, If a person would have an open mind about what the scriptures are really saying, because they are spiritually discerned. 

1 Corinthians 2:14 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42

2 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

John the Baptist?

2. Why John The Baptist had to be born in a different way? To prepare the way of the Messiah, making his path straight. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Isaiah 40:3 

3. What did JESUS say about John?

I say to you, no one among those born of women is greater than John; yet the least ... that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist

Luke 7:28 

4. Do you think it was from God that Herod's daughter asked for the death of John and in this peculiar way? Yes I do think that it was in the plan of God for the end of John The Baptist ministry: 

1At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus, 2And said unto his servants, This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead; and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.

3For Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife. 4For John said unto him, It is not lawful for thee to have her. 5And when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.

6But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. 7Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. 8And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger. 9And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath's sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. 10And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. 11And his head was brought in a charger, and given to the damsel: and she brought it to her mother. 12And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus. Matthew 14:1-12. 

5. Do you think it was part of John's mission to die before JESUS CHRIST? 

Yes I do think that God plan of John the Baptist mission was set to end before Jesus Christ. By reading the above full scriptures. Thanks. Now, what is your reason for asking?

Thank you very much, for  taking the time , and answering the questions. 

God bless