What do you do?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

What do you do when you go to a church that teaches a lot of what you think is false doctrine, even though that false doctrine is held by almost all churches?

I don't believe in eternal torment, or that a person goes directly to heaven/hell right after dying, or that the soul is separate from the body, or the rapture (Christians being taken up before the second coming of Christ). And by the way, none of these are up for debate here. I continually research these subjects, and if I find sufficient biblical evidence to change my views, I do just that. 

Anyways, the church I currently go to teaches all these things and I'm not sure what to do. Should I keep going to that church? If you think I should look for another church, what if there are no churches that teach what I believe in? 

Just a side note, I know the church is the body of Christians. But, you know what I mean. 

Edited by Paper mache

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings paper mache

Welcome to Worthy.....body of Christians? I imagine you mean "The Body of Christ"

Romans 12:5
so in Christ we who are many are one body, and each member belongs to one another.
1 Cor 12:27
Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

I'm not sure if you are talking about  the "church" you are presently attending or the "Church" ......so, I'm wondering because if you Believe the Church you are going to is the Body of Christ then I can only say"No,I don't know what you mean by that bit of info"

This would be a good discussion to have with you but this is an "answer only " Forum so I can't even ask you any questions......Before I could really answer your questions I would like to know what you DO believe,you only shared with us what you DON'T believe......      With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,674
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

my answer, is turn to the Bible! and compare what the Bible teaches to what the church teaches! if what the Bible teaches disagrees with what the church teaches, then the church is in error and keep looking! however, if what the Bible teaches lines up with what the church teaches, then it is your own doctrine that is in error and you should correct it. :D

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

There are many questions each of us have.  I have some of the same you do, so don't feel alone.  When I search for a place to call home, I don't look at their doctrine as much as I do how they live out scripture.  Are they helping those in the community who are in need?  Are they inclusive within the body or are there cliques? Are they active in His Body or are they asleep?

All I can suggest is go with where He leads you.  If you follow His leading, you will be just fine.  If you follow how He leads me, you would be just as lost as you are now, if not more lost.  Each of us has our own path in Christ.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

18 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

my answer, is turn to the Bible! and compare what the Bible teaches to what the church teaches! if what the Bible teaches disagrees with what the church teaches, then the church is in error and keep looking! however, if what the Bible teaches lines up with what the church teaches, then it is your own doctrine that is in error and you should correct it. :D

Correct.  If you can't back it up in scripture it's wrong.  I would suggest you read your Bible.  Welcome to Worthy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shiloh357
On 3/25/2017 at 3:22 PM, OneLight said:

There are many questions each of us have.  I have some of the same you do, so don't feel alone.  When I search for a place to call home, I don't look at their doctrine as much as I do how they live out scripture. 

And that completely depends on doctrine.  And if their doctrine is not rooted firmly in Scripture, what they live out (be it good or bad) won't be living out Scripture. 

If more people chose a church based on doctrine, people like Joel Osteen would be selling shoes.