shel

Photographers' Lounge (and more)

me last week

IMG_2018041.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, shel said:

OO any details you can share about the fire pics? 

Love the waterfall Simon.

they were taken in western Oklahoma either Saturday or Sunday by some old facebook friends....  as I remember where they live, it's south west of Seiling...

39 minutes ago, other one said:

they were taken in western Oklahoma either Saturday or Sunday by some old facebook friends....  as I remember where they live, it's south west of Seiling...

should we be praying for these people?

6 minutes ago, shel said:

should we be praying for these people?

Definitely.....       the only good thing about all the fires that I can find it that it is destroying millions of cedar trees.....   that is basically what the largest flames are.   But the price to get rid of the trees is way way too high.

42 minutes ago, other one said:

Definitely.....       the only good thing about all the fires that I can find it that it is destroying millions of cedar trees.....   that is basically what the largest flames are.   But the price to get rid of the trees is way way too high.

Why is destroying cedar trees good?

4 minutes ago, shel said:

Why is destroying cedar trees good?

because half the population is allergic to Red Cedar pollen......    it makes me almost deathly sick about three times a year.

Example:   here is a male red cedar tree trying to get the females in the area pregnant.  That isn't smoke, it's pollen from one single tree.   and we have them by the millions in Oklahoma......   and to add insult to injury they are not native, they were brought here to build wind breaks....       

maxresdefault.jpg

and the pollen blows up from southern Texas around Austin when the wind is out of the South......

Unfortunately it burns a lot more than just the trees though, but the really large flames are almost always from cedar trees or barns/houses.

Oh wow, I just read it's an invasive species in OK. I would think that smelling the smoke would wreak havoc as well. 

Cedars are very active trees and their wood is quite fragrant.

Not surprising to see how much pollen they put out.