Butterfly28

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus said, My yoke is easy and my burden is light? Kind off like Cast your cares on me? What does it mean exactly? An example would be helpful.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:30 (New International Version)

:sherlock:

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.

And his commandments are not burdensome.

For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:2-5 (English Standard Version)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” -- Matthew 11: 28-30

Oxen work as a pair. In ancient times, a new oxen would be teamed up with a "veteran" oxen, and that young oxen would actually learn how to do the work from the old one, emulating their movements and speed etc. The context of verse 27 and 28 is important; He's talking about salvation through Himself, Jesus, who is part of the triune Godhead. He then follows that with encouragement to do so because He will give you rest from your burdens; the burden of confusedly and wearily trying to go through life alone. Notice that He says his yoke is easy and burden is light, not that there is no burden or yolk with Him, so we should not expect zero trouble or hardship, but that He will aid us and guide us and lighten the load.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

this also as seen as the difference between The new covenant and the Old covenant the Jews had to obey the law and go through a series of sacrifices, worship of the Lord was an involved process, worship of God through salvation in Jesus is a fairly simple process-- trust Jesus for your salvation- and allow the Holy Spirit to work and lead in your life---

casting your cares--- Jesus knows what our needs are- we do not have to worry-- if he knows when a sparrow falls he knows what is gong on in our lives-- we can pray- share our burdens with Jesus-- he says he cares for us--- when Satan tries to make us worry about things we have shared ( or cast upon) the Lord we can just say-- Hey Devil-- go talk to Jesus- I gave that problem to him!

read all of those verses

1 peter 5 7-9

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

Satan wants to mess you up- but when you have trusted the Lord- you just have to be careful-- but the battle is the Lords

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

The divine perspective meant that the  cares of this world had no impact on Jesus .

This perspective can be ours when we cast all our burdens upon Him .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

On 3/26/2017 at 4:08 PM, woundeddog said:

this also as seen as the difference between The new covenant and the Old covenant the Jews had to obey the law and go through a series of sacrifices, worship of the Lord was an involved process, worship of God through salvation in Jesus is a fairly simple process-- trust Jesus for your salvation- and allow the Holy Spirit to work and lead in your life---

I have to go along with woundeddog and add to it because the heavy load Jesus was talking about can still happen today even in a church.

At that time the Jews were trying to follow the Law that was handed to them by God through Moses. They are commonly known as the 10 commandments although there were actually about 600 of them. They covered a lot of different things from how people behaved, how things were done in the temple to healthy eating.

What happened was that the religious leaders of the time had come up with over 30,000 additional laws to enforce the original ones..... rather daunting. In fact the load of knowing that was so great that only well educated people could possibly understand it. It resulted in the majority of people feeling it was hopeless to try and come into a relationship with God. 

As woundeddog said, Jesus, on behalf of God, ushered in a new covenant that did away with the need to follow the Law as a way to approach God. We now approach God through accepting a way to Him through the work of Jesus on the cross and nothing else.

Jesus ushered in a new Law (covenant) that basically says.....love one another. There's more to it than that, there is a yoke that we see Jesus demonstrate in his own life but the core is simply love one another.

I've heard of church's saying that vanilla cakes can not be brought into a church because there is alcohol in the vanilla...part of the yoke of a religious rule that alcohol is not to be consumed....and alcohol is not to be consumed because it may lead to drunkenness and drunkenness will lead to......!? That's a yoke that I think our wine drinking Lord would probably say is adding weight.

Always look at church rules through the lens of the love that Jesus demonstrates.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

Everyone has give excellent answers, but let me expand. The term "yoke' does, historically refer to teams of animals used for work. The key term here is "work". Most all of us have jobs (and even the unemployed have the "yoke" of finding work). Whether we like our work or hate our work, we are very rarely teamed up with someone exactly "equal" to us.  Sometimes our work mates are stupid, silly, ignorant or just plain lazy....so work really becomes a burden just to keep our job. Even when our job goes well, there are times when it becomes a burden that is really heavy to bear. Jesus is saying in this part of the verse that His yokes are easy. When we are burdened down by work issues, much of the time we can't see anything "easy" about work. What Jesus is saying is that IF we allow Jesus to help us, He will yoke with us in our work yokes and He will teach us how to work smarter, not harder; he will allow us to work with joy so we don't feel the heaviness of our burden. And Jesus, if we tie into Him fully will do more than that: He will allow you to be a witness for Him and even allow you to participate in miracles...yes, even at work!!!

Now, ALL  us us have burdens. All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. We ALL have burdens. We don't like burdens; most of what we consider burdens are heavy just because we don't know how to handle them. If we did know, we would solve them, drop them or do something to get someone else to carry them. Jesus is telling us in this portion of the verse is saying that HE will bear our burdens or He will send someone to help us. This is a very important point. IF you understand this verse completely, you begin to understand that Jesus WANTS bear our burdens--He wants us to carry "light" burdens!! Why? Think about it...if you are carrying a 500 lb. burden, how much joy are you going to have? But if Jesus makes that burden 5 lbs because He knows that is all you need to carry, how much joy are you going to have then? Much of the time, we choose how much of the burden we carry and most of the time we carry way too much because we don't ask Jesus to help us OR we don't allow Jesus to help us.

So the really summary of this verse is that Jesus is offering to help us with work AND with anything else that we will ask him to help us with. So, if we are smart, we will ask Jesus to carry it ALL and then be very thankful when He gives us very easy yokes and very light burdens.

I apologize if this is too simple an analogy. Jesus is still renewing my mind so I don't have to think hard or burden myself with things too hard to understand.....:laugh:

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Butterfly

I'm glad this Thread popped up again & hope to see you back soon......I'm sure your question has been answered sufficiently as all the replies here were well said.

The only think I wanted to add & I was surprised that no one mentioned it.....Personally,this is one of my favorite verses of Scripture   What has always left me in awe is that Jesus said HIS Burden is LIGHT......I am so taken back by how GREAT our God is,how BIG our God is...could you just imagine the weight of anyone elses burden added to your own & then another & another?Yet,Jesus said HIS BURDEN IS LIGHT......He is more than Willing to take ours and anyone else who  relinquishes their load....the entire world of people ,if only they would ask and then let go......and for Him,it is nothing,effortless   WOW!!!

The divine perspective meant that the  cares of this world had no impact on Jesus .

This perspective can be ours when we cast all our burdens upon Him .                                                 Unfailing Presence

Our burdens & cares are temporal,He is Eternal.....we are weighed down by situations & ciircumstance because we are carnal minded......He Abides in us,walking in Spirit & in Truth we are Eternal minded......we can access the Heart & Mind of Jesus by keeping our eyes on HIM....Glory to God,what a Mighty God we serve

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Luk 21:34 “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.

The weight of sin is incredibly oppressing.  The worries of this world, the word's finances, wars and rumors of wars, worries about jobs and the problems and hostilities we bear at work;  it is an endless list.  But we walk after the Spirit by giving Jesus our load, one piece at a time, and solving the problem according to His instructions in Scripture.  So He bears the burden and shows us the way of escape by doing it His way.  In doing so we also take His yoke upon us and learn of Him. We pray for those who scornfully use us.  We leave the rumors on the news in His hands, since we can't do anything about those but He can; many of them are false anyhow or blown out of proportion.  So those burdens He carries for us.  We carry His burden for the lost and tell them about forgiveness through Christ as He opens the doors.  Sometimes we just witness how He helped us and thereby sow some seeds.  We find that walking with Jesus is joyful and rewarding work, but not without difficulty.  It is an adventure to see what His plans for us are each day; the key is to remain flexible and consider life's interruptions as God's opportunities.    

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

On 3/25/2017 at 0:11 PM, Butterfly28 said:

Jesus said, My yoke is easy and my burden is light? Kind off like Cast your cares on me? What does it mean exactly? An example would be helpful.

I think Jesus spoke in this way because as in other of his wisdom teachings he couched his meaning in depictions the people could relate to. I think that is why he said he was the good shepherd, that he would make his disciples fishers of men, and so forth.

In this parable in Matthew I believe he wanted the people who were burdened with the labors of every day life, and those who were an agrarian culture to relate to the beasts of burden in their fields. The yoke being that which gave authority over them to the master at the reigns. God's commands, God, is the master. His commands are the rules for tilling the field that is the everyday life following the words and leading of God's purpose.

Therefore, to give solace to those who listened Jesus said his yoke was light. And the burden of it is light, meaning it is a righteous walk for those who are guided by the light of God's spirit that will find a home within them and illuminate the followers path in this dark world.

I think it especially comforting to the people of those times when Rome was a harsh task master and their yoke was at times unbearable and the burden to keep in step with the commands of Caesar lethal if transgressed. Jesus offered the mirror opposite of that. That's what I think.

• Thanks 1