• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, JTC said:

I'm not a typical man. I never was. But after I was born again at 30 I couldn't do what most guys do. If I tried the guilt was beyond belief. And as I've gotten older I want to sin less and less. At this point all I want is companionship, and I've always preferred female friends. I don't have family so I'm lonely. It's hard to have friends bc I always want to talk about things that pertain to God. He's always on my mind.

Are you going to church at the moment? 

Maybe try one that has a mature singles group? 

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Comments after reading the  posts on this thread:

Ha this is a bit of a riot. I have had some chuckles reading so far, and thoughts for possible replies, but so many might be just a tad unacceptable in this forum.

Yet, to sample I'll give the old punchline from the tale of  the old man that married the 19 year old. After hearing his friend tell him it could be fatal. The punchline?  He said,"If she dies she dies".

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I have married as both a very young man and a rather old one. My first child bride was called to be with our creator after 48 years of our marriage. I was satisfied to  think well- that is that; but God had another plan.  After some five years I am now married, my bride being some 12 years younger than I.                                                                             

You have a funny sense of humour Neighbour!! :)

Love hearing about long lasting marriages (48 years!!) - they are nearly a thing of the past these days.

Your present wife is 12 years younger than you. But see, that's not so unusual when it's the guy who's older.

The reverse is sometimes looked upon as the man needs a mummy figure. 

7 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes, marriages were generally not made for romantic reasons, but for practical reasons.  Having offspring was more important than romantic love.  They had a totally different mindset than we do today.

So times have changed -(Western society anyway).

In other cultures, marrying for money, status, etc isn't such a bad thing after all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

You have a funny sense of humour Neighbour!! :)

Love hearing about long lasting marriages (48 years!!) - they are nearly a thing of the past these days.

Your present wife is 12 years younger than you. But see, that's not so unusual when it's the guy who's older.

The reverse is sometimes looked upon as the man needs a mummy figure. 

Well,... it would be hard to find a bride 12 years older than me, least this side of the grass, that can say in one breathe "I do", and remember it the next day.

But thanks, thanks for appreciating my quirky humor gene.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

So times have changed -(Western society anyway).

In other cultures, marrying for money, status, etc isn't such a bad thing after all.

If someone isn't looking for love, then I guess they would be satisfied with simply marrying for money or status.   The problem is that if that is basis for their marriage, what happens when that money and status is no longer there?   I mean, in other parts of the world where marriages are arranged for those reasons, all kinds of natural disasters tend to pretty much wipe out material wealth.   Those who are lucky enough to survive a tsunami, are left with nothing but the shirt on their back and nothing else, no matter how wealthy they are.   There are other ways that one's wealth and status can be lost, and if that is what marriage is based on, what's left? 

It's kind of like people here in the west who get married for nothing but money and sex.   If the money runs out or the other person can no longer perform due to injury or illness, then what?  Suddenly the rustling of divorce papers can be heard.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Did you all  know that the rustling of divorce papers occurs prior to marriage, within an prenuptial agreement? (  I didn't )- Hard way to start a union. But, with the older couple a bit of a necessity  for all the family's concerns - and the couple's too.

Of course a young marriage couple burn inside of desire! They  have no experience of love as a couple that has built life together grows to know. And seldom does the young couple have assets at hand more than a couple of nickels each to rub together. Yet physical emotions grow and grow deep with the scars of life shared in a union.

Divorce is always an option, and sometimes a need  because of the hardness of us.

It is very difficult to surrender to make marriage survive through the hardest of times together. But the memories are worth the pains, even the final pains of death separating bride from groom. It all serves to reveal our Lord to us in our daily life's experiences. It is grand, the adventure we are given by God.

Just now, shiloh357 said:

If someone isn't looking for love, then I guess they would be satisfied with simply marrying for money or status.   The problem is that if that is basis for their marriage, what happens when that money and status is no longer there?   I mean, in other parts of the world where marriages are arranged for those reasons, all kinds of natural disasters tend to pretty much wipe out material wealth.   Those who are lucky enough to survive a tsunami, are left with nothing but the shirt on their back and nothing else, no matter how wealthy they are.   There are other ways that one's wealth and status can be lost, and if that is what marriage is based on, what's left? 

It's kind of like people here in the west who get married for nothing but money and sex.   If the money runs out or the other person can no longer perform due to injury or illness, then what?  Suddenly the rustling of divorce papers can be heard.

In Western society, lust is often confused with love - its a blurry line for many.  The thought of going clubbing to find Mr Right leaves me in a cold sweat (nowadays), yet this is what Western society sees as normal place to meet . It's sad.

You are right though - if its not for love, then what? When the other "attractions" wear off or are gone completely, there's nothing left standing.

I don't think that some cultures see love through Western lens . I could be wrong but many other cultures that are not influenced by the West do not show outward affection toward one another (from what I've observed).

Guest shiloh357
13 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Did you all  know that the rustling of divorce papers occurs prior to marriage, within an prenuptial agreement?

Pre-nups usually only happen in marriages where one or both spouses are wealthy and want to preserve their assets.   But a pre-nup is basically admitting to failure even before the marriage gets off the ground. 

Just now, Neighbor said:

Did you all  know that the rustling of divorce papers occurs prior to marriage, within an prenuptial agreement? (  I didn't )- Hard way to start a union. But, with the older couple a bit of a necessity  for all the family's concerns - and the couple's too.

Of course a young marriage couple burn inside of desire! They  have no experience of love as a couple that has built life together grows to know. And seldom does the young couple have assets at hand more than a couple of nickels each to rub together. Yet physical emotions grow and grow deep with the scars of life shared in a union.

Divorce is always an option, and sometimes a need  because of the hardness of us.

It is very difficult to surrender to make marriage survive through the hardest of times together. But the memories are worth the pains, even the final pains of death separating bride from groom. It all serves to reveal our Lord to us in our daily life's experiences. It is grand, the adventure we are given by God.

Marriage isn't easy is it? Its a lot of hard work - even in the good times.

You have to plant and water those seeds during the good times to carry you through the hard times - otherwise you're drawing on empty.

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

In Western society, lust is often confused with love - its a blurry line for many.  The thought of going clubbing to find Mr Right leaves me in a cold sweat (nowadays), yet this is what Western society sees as normal place to meet . It's sad.

You are right though - if its not for love, then what? When the other "attractions" wear off or are gone completely, there's nothing left standing.

I don't think that some cultures see love through Western lens . I could be wrong but many other cultures that are not influenced by the West do not show outward affection toward one another (from what I've observed).

I think "clubbing" has given way to online dating sites, which to me are questionable.   

Yes, many other cultures are definitely devoid of outward displays of affection.   And I think by western standards are pretty cold-hearted toward their spouses.   I see people from other cultures in my town and the man is walking down the street pretty fast and wife is behind him struggling to keep up and he acts like he really doesn't care about her at all.