delade3

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fd/f2/ca/fdf2ca21ee17c380a0975a681d47c833.jpg

Of course i am not pointing to His blue eyes or light colored skin.. Many people can draw Him as they think.. But my concern is this...

1 Corinthians 11:7  "For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."    

What do you think?

Would that be a 'Holy' picture of Christ Jesus?  

Edited by delade3

Guest BacKaran

No one knows what Jesus looks like so any drawing is a guess. Same thing with people and their Mary statues.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I believe it comes from Jewish understanding that men cover their head during prayer (as a sign of mourning). But if I am right, there is no OT law for this. It is more of Jewish tradition. because Jesus was Jew, people assume He would have had head covering.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, delade3 said:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fd/f2/ca/fdf2ca21ee17c380a0975a681d47c833.jpg

Of course i am not pointing to His blue eyes or light colored skin.. Many people can draw Him as they think.. But my concern is this...

1 Corinthians 11:7  "For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."    

What do you think?

Would that be a 'Holy' picture of Christ Jesus?  

It helps a lot to put verse 7 in context of chapter 11 and all of 1 Corinthians.

Paul is speaking to the church at Corinth that is a church in a hot mess.  They are in such chaos that it is pathetic.  The single verse you have quoted is about men and women who are praying and prophesying in church.  Women were to do so in church with their heads covered as a benefit "for the angels" in the presence of corporate worship.

You see, it helps here to look at 1 Corinthians 11:1-16 as a whole, not just verse 7.

This is not about walking down the street or buying/selling in the marketplace or about eating dinner at night.

This command is about praying and prophesying in the corporate worship service at church.

So - about this picture.  Pictures are not holy.  But if we must, there is no problem with this picture other than the fact Jesus is presented as a Caucasian.  The "hood" over his head - I have no problem with.  Did men wear things on their heads?  Not in church - but surely they had something to cover themselves in the rain and heat.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, ravindran said:

I believe it comes from Jewish understanding that men cover their head during prayer (as a sign of mourning). But if I am right, there is no OT law for this. It is more of Jewish tradition. because Jesus was Jew, people assume He would have had head covering.

In decades of serving YHWH (GOD) by and thru faith in JESUS,  I never met anyone who thought JESUS had nor needed a head covering.   IF it was proper in synague or temple,  at the time, HE would have worn one, but I haven't heard or read one way or another about this.  

From sources long forgotten a couple decades ago,   the uniqueness of ecclesia - the called out ones chosen by YHWH and set apart by YHWH - was that the men did not wear a head covering and the women did -  which was not the practice of other groups at the time,  neither Jews nor greek (gentile),  but only the believers following Y'SHUA by faith.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I thought that was the reason. I am not sure very sure about it though. I have never done enough research on this myself. I have only done study on how it applies to us today :) I might have been completely wrong with my previous statement though