Struggling with floaters in the eye

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone, I don't post here much, but I have a question for you guys. Have any of you ever had to deal with eye floaters?

For those who don't know, "floaters" are basically pieces of junk and protein that break off in your eyeball fluid, and you can see them floating around in your field of vision. A few years ago, I accidentally hit my left eye, and ever since then, I have a lot of them in my vision. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but those who have bad floaters know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've been to 3 doctors and they've all told me there's nothing they can do about it, and that I have to live with it for the rest of my life. It's very frustrating because I can't look at white surfaces or blue skies without seeing this junk and garbage flying around in my vision. Bright summer days are the worst. I'm still believing God for healing, but I am struggling and very frustrated. I've tried to talk to my family, but they think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I feel alone. Has anyone else ever had to deal with these awful floaters? How were you able to manage them?

Edited by Amore_Amibo

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I have them, I see them all the time.  I just have learned to live with them.  There is nothing they can do about them.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,874
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

13 minutes ago, other one said:

I did ask one of my doctors about surgery, actually. But he said they wouldn't be able to do so. They can't see the floaters in my eye (which are invisible in the fluid), and need to be able to see them in order to do the surgery. He also said they can't perform surgery because even though I hit my left eye, there's no actual damage to my retina. There needs to be some physical damage before they can take action. 

Guest BacKaran

Thanks for the info. I thought I read this year that it's a last ditch effort to do surgery for floaters 

I worked for five eye surgeons and got my first real floater last fall. I've had the stars one sees when in pain but floaters are a whole different animal!

Mine is huge and my focus point is blurry when I'm outside or it s against the cloud or white backgrounds.

I read that surgery could make your sight worse so until it effects my driving, I should be fine. But it is an annoyance as I see this circle with a spider web.... It was really baaaaaad the first two weeks I had it but it's stabilized now.

Eh, life, another thing my parents never told me about, lol?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,874
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My doctor told me they can fix floaters with the laser they have in their office.  Don't know if insurance would pay for it and under what conditions.

They took care of a couple of mine when we did cataract surgery.  That is a different kind of laser though

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

If you ever see floaters in a ring get to the ophthalmologist ASAP. That's something different than the typical floaters most people see.

Guest BacKaran

Hmmm, don't know about that Mea. If one sees lightening, that's retinal detachment. If it's like a shade closing up to down, that's an emergency to. Kirby Puckett, a MN Twins, had that. You can go blind if not treated so.

I'm going to ask my eye surgeon if they can do laser surgery for my floater then. I worked with Dr Irving Shapiro in mpls. He designed and created the Phillips eye institute with the Yag laser and a few others laser techniques back in the mid 80s-1990.

?

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

On 3/27/2017 at 5:43 PM, Amore_Amibo said:

Hello everyone, I don't post here much, but I have a question for you guys. Have any of you ever had to deal with eye floaters?

For those who don't know, "floaters" are basically pieces of junk and protein that break off in your eyeball fluid, and you can see them floating around in your field of vision. A few years ago, I accidentally hit my left eye, and ever since then, I have a lot of them in my vision. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but those who have bad floaters know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've been to 3 doctors and they've all told me there's nothing they can do about it, and that I have to live with it for the rest of my life. It's very frustrating because I can't look at white surfaces or blue skies without seeing this junk and garbage flying around in my vision. Bright summer days are the worst. I'm still believing God for healing, but I am struggling and very frustrated. I've tried to talk to my family, but they think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I feel alone. Has anyone else ever had to deal with these awful floaters? How were you able to manage them?

I had floaters years ago and it will go away on their own....they're a nuisance !

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

On 3/27/2017 at 3:43 PM, Amore_Amibo said:

My opthamologist treated me for a detached retina a couple of years ago and,yes, I had really bad floaters in my right eye.  I came close to blindness in that eye but the laser treatments my doctor performed have slowly returned my vision in that eye to nearly normal.  The floaters are almost gone so don't give up and just live with them.  Find another doctor because I'm living proof that something CAN be done.  Check all doctor's ratings on the Health Grades website before going to them.