IGNORED

Victorian g'vt - teach kids not to be sexist.

HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/03/28/07/25/victorian-government-respectful-relationships-teach-kids-not-to-be-sexist

The Victorian government (Australia) will tell foundation teachers not to use phrases such as "boys will be boys" as part of a $3m plan to eradicate sexism in pre-schoolers.

According to The Australian, 4000 early years state educators will receive training about gender stereotypes in the classroom. A government tender released last week says children as young as three or four are aware of "gender expectations" and try to "fit within these gendered norms" as they start school.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  312
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/05/1998

I'm not sure how effective this program is going to be with preschoolers, but at least the motives are in the right place. Bad behavior shouldn't be excused because of someone's gender (like the phrase "boys will be boys" often does), and reducing the pressure of gender expectations placed on kids is definitely a positive thing. 

Guest shiloh357
46 minutes ago, Tea Ess said:

I'm not sure how effective this program is going to be with preschoolers, but at least the motives are in the right place. Bad behavior shouldn't be excused because of someone's gender (like the phrase "boys will be boys" often does), and reducing the pressure of gender expectations placed on kids is definitely a positive thing. 

Who is pressuring kids with "gender expectations?"   And how is that even done?

It's pretty common. "Pink is for girls."

"Don't run around like that, it's not ladylike." 

It could be something like pressuring boys to play sports, or pressuring girls into homemaking. Basically any time people are expected to confrom to specific gender roles. It's not just limited to public schools, either. I saw this all the time as a homeschooled kid. 

Keep in mind that this is not the same thing as saying it's bad to be masculine/feminine. The goal is for people to not be forced into masculinity or feminist- or be pressured into doing things seen as masculine or feminine- because of their gender. Kids should be able to be themselves. 

Guest shiloh357
35 minutes ago, Tea Ess said:

It's pretty common. "Pink is for girls."

"Don't run around like that, it's not ladylike." 

It could be something like pressuring boys to play sports, or pressuring girls into homemaking. Basically any time people are expected to confrom to specific gender roles. It's not just limited to public schools, either. I saw this all the time as a homeschooled kid. 

Keep in mind that this is not the same thing as saying it's bad to be masculine/feminine. The goal is for people to not be forced into masculinity or feminist- or be pressured into doing things seen as masculine or feminine- because of their gender. Kids should be able to be themselves. 

Does expecting boys to use boys' bathrooms and girls to use girls' bathrooms also fit into that?

30 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Does expecting boys to use boys' bathrooms and girls to use girls' bathrooms also fit into that?

That's an interesting question. Based on my personal understanding, I don't believe so. Gender roles are societal expectations of behavior for men and women, not having separate restrooms for different genders. 

Guest shiloh357
56 minutes ago, Tea Ess said:

That's an interesting question. Based on my personal understanding, I don't believe so. Gender roles are societal expectations of behavior for men and women, not having separate restrooms for different genders. 

That last thing we need are little boys playing with dolls and easy bake ovens.  In fact, I don't think anyone pressures kids to be what they are, gender-wise.  That is just another liberal myth.

6 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

That last thing we need are little boys playing with dolls and easy bake ovens.  In fact, I don't think anyone pressures kids to be what they are, gender-wise.  That is just another liberal myth.

Aaannnd there it is. This perspective is exactly why this program exists, and it definitely contributes to the pressure kids face to confrom to gender roles. If a boy wants to play with dolls or an easy bake oven, let him. If a girl wants to play sports, let her. 

Guest shiloh357
12 minutes ago, Tea Ess said:

Aaannnd there it is. This perspective is exactly why this program exists, and it definitely contributes to the pressure kids face to confrom to gender roles. If a boy wants to play with dolls or an easy bake oven, let him. If a girl wants to play sports, let her. 

Sports are not a problem.   Letting little boys turn into little girls is a huge problem.  Should we let them wear nail polish and dresses? 

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Sports are not a problem.   Letting little boys turn into little girls is a huge problem.  Should we let them wear nail polish and dresses? 

Good.

Cooking or playing with a doll won't 'turn a boy into a girl.' My parents gave me a doll before my sister was born so I could learn how to hold a baby. Cooking is an important skill, and pretty much everyone should know how to do it. I personally like cooking. Do you think I'm a woman, Shiloh? 

Yes, if it's safe for them to do so.  Unfortunately they would probably face a lot of bullying. 

Out of curiosity, why is it okay for girls to wear pants and play sports, but not for boys to bake and wear dresses?