MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

It seems it never ends.  These are some good tips on avoiding this scam.  Best ide: if you don't recognize the number don't answer, let it go to voice mail.  They won't leave a message most likely and you should then block the number.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fcc-warns-consumers-yes-phone-scam-233916329--abc-news-topstories.html

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

We are not even safe anymore just picking up the phone when it rings ,

Just this morning i got a call and was near to the phone so by reflex, I picked up the receiver with a pleasant hello. then there was a delay and then the young voice on the other line asked if I was so and so and then I asked them  to whom am I speaking with, then they started speaking some kind of sales pitch... i  just put down the receiver and said to myself, I will never again just pick up the phone receiver when it rings and just let my answering service pick up my calls from now on.

Now we are not even free to say -yes- when we pick up the phone.

We have to be careful of so much swindling possibilities, coming out from everywhere...

There is now way to much fraud going on everywhere.   :(

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Just wondering, do they use the simple 'yes' to make voice prints so they can imitate your voice in other sentences or is it just a 'yes' recording of your voice that is used? If the first, then a more natural 'hello' that you use when you first answer the phone woul be better.

They record it when they ask 'can you hear me' and you say 'yes'.  How they use this I'm not sure but, if the FCC is warning about it, it's serious. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

I just now erased my very own voice mail message and now just have a pre recorded message from the answering service.

I always was against pre-recorded messages, thinking they were way to cold and impersonal, but now with all the scams going on, it just doesn't seem safe anymore to have even your own voice recorded greeting on your own phone anymore. Sad indeed.

29 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Right, it said, " "The caller then records the consumer's 'Yes' response and thus obtains a voice signature."  ..so I was wondering what a 'voice signature' consisted of and it's possible use.

Well, if I pay my cable bill over the phone, it asks me to state my name.  I'm not sure aboout the signature but apparently the scammers can use it.

1 minute ago, 1to3 said:

I just now erased my very own voice mail message and now just have a pre recorded message from the answering service.

I always was against pre-recorded messages, thinking they were way to cold and impersonal, but now with all the scams going on, it just doesn't seem safe anymore to have even your own voice recorded greeting on your own phone anymore. Sad indeed.

I use the recording that came with my IPhone and always have.  It is a sad world indeed when you have to stay one step ahead of scammers.  I would also suggest that, when you get a new debit card, you go to the bank and pick it up.  My new one disappeared after it was mailed to me and I had to go in and cancel everything because the new card had been activated.  They didn't get anything though.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

17 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

It seems it never ends.  These are some good tips on avoiding this scam.  Best ide: if you don't recognize the number don't answer, let it go to voice mail.  They won't leave a message most likely and you should then block the number.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fcc-warns-consumers-yes-phone-scam-233916329--abc-news-topstories.html

I heard about this a while ago. It is not safe to answer a telemarketer call. I am sure glad for caller ID.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  573
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

17 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

A few years ago a scammer called me so as to add insurance on my credit card. They tried like crazy to get me to say yes. Asking if the weather was lovely where I was. It was but I just answered, it is beautiful. After about five minutes of listening to this effort so as to learn the lengths personally that I'd been told scammers shall go to I hung up. 
The next month a charge was on my card for, yes you guessed it, insurance. I telephoned and got a supervisor. I took down their name, explained the problem. They said that the call had been recorded and I answered that I knew that. Never answering yes even in that call. The next statement there was the credit for my former insurance charge. :laugh: That's right mister! Not one "yes" in the entire five minute conversation on my side. 

There's a man on You Tube that records the comedy side of his scripts he delivers to telemarketers. I love his work. He gets them so flustered they end up hanging up on him. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  573
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Are you sure about that?

Absolutely. 
I have a tape recorder too. ^_^