Sister

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

I am going to paste the whole story so everyone can refresh, please read, it's not long,  and I will ask some questions at the end.

Genesis 38:1   And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.

Genesis 38:2   And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; and he took her, and went in unto her.

Genesis 38:3   And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er.

Genesis 38:4   And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name Onan.

Genesis 38:5   And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bare him.

Genesis 38:6   And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.

Genesis 38:7   And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.

Genesis 38:8   And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

Genesis 38:9   And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

Genesis 38:10   And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

Genesis 38:11   Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house.

Genesis 38:12   And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah's wife died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.

Genesis 38:13   And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father in law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep.

Genesis 38:14   And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered her with a vail, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him to wife.

Genesis 38:15   When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face.

Genesis 38:16   And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter in law.) And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me?

Genesis 38:17   And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock. And she said, Wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it?

Genesis 38:18   And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets, and thy staff that is in thine hand. And he gave it her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.

Genesis 38:19   And she arose, and went away, and laid by her vail from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.

Genesis 38:20   And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman's hand: but he found her not.

Genesis 38:21   Then he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot, that was openly by the way side? And they said, There was no harlot in this place.

Genesis 38:22   And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, that there was no harlot in this place.

Genesis 38:23   And Judah said, Let her take it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.

Genesis 38:24   And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.

Genesis 38:25   When she was brought forth, she sent to her father in law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff.

Genesis 38:26   And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

Genesis 38:27   And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins were in her womb.

Genesis 38:28   And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.

Genesis 38:29   And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.

Genesis 38:30   And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah.

So many unanswered questions?????

Why did Judah marry a Canaanite woman?  (This was a not allowed)

What was her name?

Why was Judah’s first son Er wicked?  What did he do?

What reason did Judah's second son Onan have for not wanting to give his brother “seed”.?

Why did Judah not keep his word and give his third son Shelah to marry Tamara?

When Tamara was delivering her twins, what did it signify that the first baby (Pharez) retreated back and the second (Zarah) came out first?

Was Tamar an Israelite or Caananite woman?

I was wondering if anyone can answer these questions?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

24 minutes ago, Sister said:

The only 'Israelites' at that time were his own brothers and sister. So in order to marry at all, he had to marry a woman of a different nationality. This was before the Law, so there was no rule against it.

What was her name?

We don't know. She's only ever called "the daughter of Shua"

Again, we're not told. It's left to the imagination.

What reason did Judah's second son Onan have for not wanting to give his brother “seed”.?

The rules of inheritance at that time were simple. The estate was divided into equal portions, which were shared between the sons. The eldest son got two portions. So if there were three sons (as in Judah's family), the eldest got half and the others got a quarter each. So if Onan had given Tamar a son, the son would have received Er's double portion and Onan would get a quarter. But if Tamar never had a son, only Onan and Shelah would be left to share Judah's inheritance - so Onan would get two-thirds and Shelah would get one-third. There';s quite a difference between one-quarter and two-thirds!

Perhaps he thought she had a curse on her. He only had one son left, and probably was reluctant to take any risks

When Tamara was delivering her twins, what did it signify that the first baby (Pharez) retreated back and the second (Zarah) came out first?

I'm not sure that it signifies anything. That's just what happened. 

Incidentally, the midwife must have been highly skilled to deliver both babies safely when the first one was a shoulder presentation.

Was Tamar an Israelite or Caananite woman?

See above. She can't have been Israelite because the only Israelites at the time were Jacob's own family.

I was wondering if anyone can answer these questions?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Sister said:

[1]  Why did Judah marry a Canaanite woman?  (This was a not allowed)

[2]  Why was Judah’s first son Er wicked?  What did he do?

[3]  What reason did Judah's second son Onan have for not wanting to give his brother “seed”.?

[4]  Why did Judah not keep his word and give his third son Shelah to marry Tamara?

[5]  When Tamara was delivering her twins, what did it signify that the first baby (Pharez) retreated back and the second (Zarah) came out first?

ANSWERS:

[1]  Intermarrying with Canaanites would not be forbidden by God until much later when the Law was given.  Was it the smart thing to do?  No.  It was already a problem with Judah's uncle, Esau.  And it would bring nothing but spiritual chaos.

[2] What did Er do?  We don't know.  The only important thing to consider is that God considered it deserving of immediate death.  Could it have been that he led a spiritually bankrupt life because of the influence of his Canaanite family?  Any attempt to make a guess is pure speculation.

[3]  Greed. 

[4]  He had no intention of keeping that word when he promised Tamar his son Shelah.  In his mind, she was responsible for Er and Onan's deaths and he was going to chance it with a third and last son.

[5]  I don't think that there is any significance in the birth order of the twins except to say that mankind placed EXTREME importance on birth order and God never did.

15 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

The only 'Israelites' at that time were his own brothers and sister. So in order to marry at all, he had to marry a woman of a different nationality. This was before the Law, so there was no rule against it.

Hi Deborah.

Thank you for answering.

Have you considered this scripture;

Genesis 24:1   And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things.

Genesis 24:2   And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh:

Genesis 24:3   And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

Genesis 24:4   But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

Genesis 24:15   And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.

Terah begat Abraham and Nahor

Genesis 22:20   And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor;

Genesis 22:21   Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,

Genesis 22:22   And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.

Genesis 22:23   And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham's brother.

All in the family!

Now Jacob

Genesis 28:1   And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.

Genesis 28:5   And Isaac sent away Jacob: and he went to Padanaram unto Laban, son of Bethuel the Syrian, the brother of Rebekah, Jacob's and Esau's mother.

Genesis 28:6   When Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob, and sent him away to Padanaram, to take him a wife from thence; and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan;

I am not sure why Bethuel is called the Syrian?  Was it because of where he lived? or was his mother Milcah a Syrian?

Going down the Rabbits hole

Genesis 11:29   And Abram and Nahor took them wives: the name of Abram's wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor's wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.

Genesis 11:26   And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran.

Genesis 11:27   Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot.

Genesis 11:28   And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.

Genesis 11:29   And Abram and Nahor took them wives: the name of Abram's wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor's wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.

Genesis 11:31   And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.

Genesis 11:32   And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.

Genesis 12:4   So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

Genesis 12:5   And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

Milcah is Lot's sister!

I think we get the picture.  It's all in the family, to keep the bloodline of Abraham, ...therefore marrying a caananite woman would contaminate their bloodline, and not only that, the women of Caanan were not serving the Living God but practiced different beliefs.

Edited by Sister

9 hours ago, Jayne said:

ANSWERS:

[1]  Intermarrying with Canaanites would not be forbidden by God until much later when the Law was given.  Was it the smart thing to do?  No.  It was already a problem with Judah's uncle, Esau.  And it would bring nothing but spiritual chaos.

Hi Jayne

Thanks for taking the time to answer also.

Please see my answer to Deborah on this question, how it stays in the family.

What was her name?

We don't know. She's only ever called "the daughter of Shua"

She does have a name, and there is a record kept of who exactly she was, but you wont find it in Genesis.

Again, we're not told. It's left to the imagination.

We are told, and there's a very good reason but you wont find it in Genesis.

12 hours ago, Jayne said:

[2] What did Er do?  We don't know.  The only important thing to consider is that God considered it deserving of immediate death.  Could it have been that he led a spiritually bankrupt life because of the influence of his Canaanite family?  Any attempt to make a guess is pure speculation.

We do know, ...not all of us, but some of us, and your answer is half right.  When it's clear, there will be no more speculation.

The rules of inheritance at that time were simple. The estate was divided into equal portions, which were shared between the sons. The eldest son got two portions. So if there were three sons (as in Judah's family), the eldest got half and the others got a quarter each. So if Onan had given Tamar a son, the son would have received Er's double portion and Onan would get a quarter. But if Tamar never had a son, only Onan and Shelah would be left to share Judah's inheritance - so Onan would get two-thirds and Shelah would get one-third. There';s quite a difference between one-quarter and two-thirds!

Maybe so, but that's not the only reason.

13 hours ago, Jayne said:

[3]  Greed. 

see above.

Perhaps he thought she had a curse on her. He only had one son left, and probably was reluctant to take any risks

That thought did cross his mind, the reason why he prolonged it, but something else stopped him.

[4]  He had no intention of keeping that word when he promised Tamar his son Shelah.  In his mind, she was responsible for Er and Onan's deaths and he was going to chance it with a third and last son.

see above.

I'm not sure that it signifies anything. That's just what happened. 

Incidentally, the midwife must have been highly skilled to deliver both babies safely when the first one was a shoulder presentation.

Isaiah 66:8   Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

Isaiah 66:9   Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD: shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God.

[5]  I don't think that there is any significance in the birth order of the twins except to say that mankind placed EXTREME importance on birth order and God never did.

Matthew 19:30   But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Genesis 38:29   And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.

Lamentations 2:13   What thing shall I take to witness for thee? what thing shall I liken to thee, O daughter of Jerusalem? what shall I equal to thee, that I may comfort thee, O virgin daughter of Zion? for thy breach is great like the sea: who can heal thee?

Isaiah 30:26   Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Isaiah 58:12   And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Excellent answers.

Though you might separate your answers from the quote box to distinguish them.

Laborious I know

quote the OP

then your reply then

the OP

your reply etc.

At first blush it appears you only quoted the OP but in fact you answered her quite thoroughly and brilliantly I might add.

Good job, Sister Deborah! ☺

Hi JohnD

Yes Deborah answered well according to the information given, Jayne also, but unfortunately the information given in Genesis is only small.  We get the main gist of the story, but unfortunately, we don't get the full story until the story behind the story is revealed.

There is more to this story, and many others mentioned in the OT.

You can read this one for yourselves.

And just to finish off, ...many unbelievers think that the OT was made up, just a fantasy written by man.  Moses wrote Genesis, but who can testify to what Moses wrote is true in this story?

I have 2 separate witnesses with the spirit of God in them testifying of Moses' story, and all together that makes 3 telling the same story.  As we go behind the scenes, a little more is revealed, then when we get to Judah himself, we get to hear his side of the story, the full story filling in all the blanks.

I will leave it up to the individual to judge.

JASHER

45:4   And Judah went at that time to Adulam, and he came to a man of Adulam, and his name was Hirah, and Judah saw there the daughter of a man from Canaan, and her name was Aliyath, the daughter of Shua, and he took her, and came to her, and Aliyath bare unto Judah, Er, Onan and Shiloh; three sons.

· 

45:23   And in those days Judah went to the house of Shem and took Tamar the daughter of Elam, the son of Shem, for a wife for his first born Er.

45:24 ·  And Er came to his wife Tamar, and she became his wife, and when he came to her he outwardly destroyed his seed, and his work was evil in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord slew him.

45:25  And it was after the death of Er, Judah's first born, that Judah said unto Onan, go to thy brother's wife and marry her as the next of kin, and raise up seed to thy brother.

45:26  And Onan took Tamar for a wife and he came to her, and Onan also did like unto the work of his brother, and his work was evil in the sight of the Lord, and he slew him also.

45:27  And when Onan died, Judah said unto Tamar, Remain in thy father's house until my son Shiloh shall have grown up, and Judah did no more delight in Tamar, to give her unto Shiloh, for he said, Peradventure he will also die like his brothers.

45:28  And Tamar rose up and went and remained in her father's house, and Tamar was in her father's house for some time.

45:29  And at the revolution of the year, Aliyath the wife of Judah died; and Judah was comforted for his wife, and after the death of Aliyath, Judah went up with his friend Hirah to Timnah to shear their sheep.

45:30And Tamar heard that Judah had gone up to Timnah to shear the sheep, and that Shiloh was grown up, and Judah did not delight in her.

45:31  And Tamar rose up and put off the garments of her widowhood, and she put a vail upon her, and she entirely covered herself, and she went and sat in the public thoroughfare, which is upon the road to Timnah.

45:32  And Judah passed and saw her and took her and he came to her, and she conceived by him, and at the time of being delivered, behold, there were twins in her womb, and he called the name of the first Perez, and the name of the second Zarah.

END OF CHAPTER

46:1    In those days Joseph was still confined in the prison house in the land of Egypt.

THE TESTAMENT OF JUDAH

1: 51 I was twenty years old when this war befell. And the Canaanites feared me and my brethren.

1:52  And I had much cattle, and I had for chief herdsman Iram the Adullamite.

1:53  And when I went to him I saw Parsaba, king of Adullam; and he spake unto us, and he made us a feast; and when I was heated he gave me his daughter Bathshua to wife.

1:54  She bare me Er, and Onan and Shelah; and two of them the Lord smote: for Shelah lived, and his children are ye.

2:10  And after these things my son Er took to wife Tamar, from Mesopotamia, a daughter of Aram.

2:11  Now Er was wicked, and he was in need concerning Tamar, because she was not of the land of Canaan.

2:12  And on the third night an angel of the Lord smote him.

2:13  And he had not known her according to the evil craftiness of his mother, for he did not wish to have children by her.

2:14  In the days of the wedding feast I gave Onan to her in marriage; and he also in wickedness knew her not, though he spent with her a year.

2:15  And when I threatened him he went in unto her, but he spilled the seed on the ground, according to the command of his mother, and he also died through wickedness.

2:16  And I wished to give Shelah also to her, but his mother did not permit it; for she wrought evil against Tamar, because she was not the daughters of Canaan, as she also herself was.

2:17  And I knew that the race of the Canaanites was wicked, but the impulse of youth blinded my mind.

2:18  And when I saw her pouring out wine, owing to the intoxication of wine I was deceived, and took her although my father had not counselled it.

2:19  And while I was away she went and took for Shelah a wife from Canaan.

2:20  And when I knew what she had done, I cursed her in the anguish of my soul.

2:21  And she also died through her wickedness together with her sons.

2:22  And after these things, while Tamar was a widow, she heard after two years that I was going up, to shear my sheep, and adorned herself in bridal array, and sat in the city Enaim by the gate.

2:23  For it was a law of the Amorites, that she who was about to marry should sit in fornication seven days by the gate.

2:24  Therefore being drunk with wine, I did not recognize her; and her beauty deceived me, through the fashion of her adorning.

2:25  And I turned aside to her, and said: Let me go in unto thee.

2:26  And she said: What wilt thou give me? And I gave her my staff, and my girdle, and the diadem of my kingdom in pledge.

2:27  And I went in unto her, and she conceived.

2:28  And not knowing what I had done, I wished to slay her; but she privily sent my pledges, and put me to shame.

2:29  And when I called her, I heard also the secret words which I spoke when lying with her in my drunkenness; and I could not slay her, because it was from the Lord.

2:30  For I said, Lest haply she did it in subtlety, having received the pledge from another woman.

2:31  But I came not again near her while I lived, because I had done this abomination in all Israel.

2:32  Moreover, they who were in the city said there was no harlot in the gate, because she came from another place, and sat for a while in the gate.

2:33  And I thought that no one knew that I had gone in to her.

2:34  And after this we came into Egypt to Joseph, because of the famine.

2:35  And I was forty and six years old, and seventy and three years lived I in Egypt.

3: CHAP. III.

1   AND now I command you, my children, hearken to Judah your father, and keep my sayings to perform all the ordinances of the Lord, and to obey the commands of God.

2  And walk not after your lusts, nor in the imaginations of your thoughts in haughtiness of heart; and glory not in the deeds and strength of your youth, for this also is evil in the eyes of the Lord.

3  Since I also gloried that in wars no comely woman's face ever enticed me, and reproved Reuben my brother concerning Bilhah, the wife of my father, the spirits of jealousy and of fornication arrayed themselves against me, until I lay with Bathshua the Canaanite, and Tamar, who was espoused to my sons.

4   For I said to my father-in-law: I will take counsel with my father, and so will I take thy daughter.

5  And he was unwilling but he showed me a boundless store of gold in his daughter's behalf; for be was a king.

6  And he adorned her with gold and pearls, and caused her to pour out wine for us at the feast with the beauty of women.

7  And the wine turned aside my eyes, and pleasure blinded my heart.

8  And I became enamoured of and I lay with her, and transgressed the commandment of the Lord and the commandment of my fathers, and I took her to wife.

9  And the Lord rewarded me according to the imagination of my heart, inasmuch as I had no joy in her children.

10  And now, my children, I say unto you, be not drunk with wine; for wine turneth the mind away from, the truth, and inspires the passion of lust, and leadeth the eyes into error.

11  For the spirit of fornication hath wine as a minister to give pleasure to the mind; for these two also take away the mind of man.

12  For if a man drink wine to drunkenness, it disturbeth the mind with filthy thoughts leading to fornication, and heateth the body to carnal union; and if the occasion of the lust be present, he worketh the sin, and is not ashamed.

13  Such is the inebriated man, my children; for he who is drunken reverenceth no man.

14  For, lo, it made me also to err, so that I was not ashamed of the multitude in the city, in that before the eyes of all I turned aside unto Tamar, and I wrought a great sin, and I uncovered the covering of my sons' shame.

15  After I had drunk wine I reverenced not the commandment of God, and I took a woman of Canaan to wife.

16  For much discretion needeth the man who drinketh wine, my children; and herein is discretion in drinking wine, a man may drink so long as he preserveth modesty.

17  But if he go beyond this limit the spirit of deceit attacketh his mind, and it maketh the drunkard to talk filthily, and to transgress and not to be ashamed, but even to glory in his shame, and to account himself honourable.

18  He that committeth fornication is not aware when he suffers loss, and is not ashamed when put to dishonour.

19  For even though a man be a king and commit fornication, he is stripped of his kingship by becoming the slave of fornication, as I myself also suffered.

20  For I gave my staff, that is, the stay of my tribe; and my girdle, that is, my power; and my diadem, that is, the glory of my kingdom.

21 And indeed I repented of these things; wine and flesh I eat not until my old age, nor did I behold any joy.

22 And the angel of God showed me that for ever do women bear rule over king and beggar alike.

23 And from the king they take away his glory, and from the valiant man his might, and from the beggar even that little which is the stay of his poverty.

24  Observe, therefore, my children, the right limit in wine; for there are in it four evil spirits--of lust, of hot desire, of profligacy, of filthy lucre.

25  If ye drink wine in gladness, be ye modest in the fear of God.

26  For if in your gladness the fear of God departeth, then drunkenness ariseth and shamelessness stealeth in.

27  But if ye would live soberly do not touch wine at all, lest ye sin in words of outrage, and in fightings and slanders, and transgressions of the commandments of God, and ye perish before your time.

28  Moreover, wine revealeth the mysteries of God and men, even as I also revealed the commandments of God and the mysteries of Jacob my father to the Canaanitish woman Bathshua, which God bade me not to reveal.

29  And wine is a cause both of war and confusion.

30  And now, I command you, my children, not to love money, nor to gaze upon the beauty of women; because for the sake of money and beauty I was led astray to Bathshua the Canaanite.

31  For I know that because of these two things shall my race fall into wickedness.

32  For even wise men among my sons shall they mar, and shall cause the kingdom of Judah to be diminished, which the Lord gave me because of my obedience to my father.

33  For I never caused grief to Jacob, my father; for all things whatsoever he commanded I did.

34 And Isaac, the father of my father, blessed me to be king in Israel, and Jacob further blessed me in like manner.

35 And I know that from me shall the kingdom be established.

36 And I know what evils ye will do in the last days.

37 Beware, therefore, my children, of fornication, and the love of money, and hearken to Judah your father.

38 For these things withdraw au from the law of God, and blind the inclination of the soul, and teach arrogance, and suffer not a man to have compassion upon his neighbour.

39 They rob his soul of all goodness, and oppress him with toils and troubles, and drive away sleep from him, and devour his flesh.

40 And he hindereth the sacrifices of God; and he remembereth not the blessing of God, he hearkeneth not to a prophet when he speaketh, and resenteth the words of godliness.

41 For he is a slave to two contrary passions, and cannot obey God, because they have blinded his soul, and he walketh in the day as in the night.

42 My children, the love of money leadeth to idolatry; because, when led astray through money, men name as gods those who are not gods, and it causeth him who hath it to fall into madness.

43 For the sake of money I lost my children, and had not my repentance, and my humiliation, and the prayers of my father been accepted, I should have died childless.

44 But the God of my fathers had mercy on me, because I did it in ignorance.

45 And the prince of deceit blinded me, and I sinned as a man and as flesh, being corrupted through sins; and I learnt my own weakness while thinking myself invincible.

46 Know, therefore, my children, that two spirits wait upon man-the spirit of truth and the spirit of deceit.

47 And in the midst is the spirit of understanding of the mind, to which it belongeth to turn whithersoever it will.

And the works of truth and the works of deceit are written upon the hearts of men, and each one of them the Lord knoweth.

49 And there is no time at which the works of men can be hid; for on the heart itself have they been written down before the Lord.

50 And the spirit of truth testifieth all things, and accuseth all; and the sinner is burnt up by his own heart, and cannot raise his face to the judge.