HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/03/30/14/26/brexit-campaigner-nigel-farage-reportedly-fundraising-for-calexit-campaign

Former UK Independence Party leader and Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage has reportedly been hired by US Republican operatives who want to split the state of California into two.

Mr Farage and his major financial backer, Arron Banks, have raised an initial $1 million for the 'CalExit' campaign.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I'm all for splitting California into two separate states, would make the elections far more equal. The 55 electoral votes they have that always goes to the democrats is ridiculous.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I'm not sure how splitting California into two states is an 'exit' of any kind or how it would benefit Republicans.  That state is pretty much a loss for the Rs in every election.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

5 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I'm not sure how splitting California into two states is an 'exit' of any kind or how it would benefit Republicans.  That state is pretty much a loss for the Rs in every election.

Actually believe it or not from what I hear northern California is far more conservative then southern, the problem is the population center is in the southern half. If you split California in two, sure most of the electoral votes would stay with southern California, and they would likely stay liberal, but not all of them, some would go to northern California, and there is a chance the right republican could take northern California. It would even the tables ever so slightly. 

I fully expect the stiffest opposition to this to come from the democrats, for that very reason.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  312
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/05/1998

12 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Actually believe it or not from what I hear northern California is far more conservative then southern, the problem is the population center is in the southern half. If you split California in two, sure most of the electoral votes would stay with southern California, and they would likely stay liberal, but not all of them, some would go to northern California, and there is a chance the right republican could take northern California. It would even the tables ever so slightly. 

I fully expect the stiffest opposition to this to come from the democrats, for that very reason.

This is the case in literally every state. Areas with high population density usually lean Democrat, and more rural areas usually lean Republican. Going by our current winner-takes-all method of distributing states' electoral votes, a certain portion of the population in every state is going to get overruled, like Republicans in California, or Democrats in Texas. 

I'm not necessarily against large states being split up, but I'm very against it when the main purpose is to mess with the electoral votes. There's no way that it's going to be executed in a logical and fair manner. Splitting a state would be a logistical nightmare even if it wasn't highly politicized. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Seems to me that this is just another case of gerrymandering and it shouldnt be allowed

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

5 hours ago, Tea Ess said:

This is the case in literally every state. Areas with high population density usually lean Democrat, and more rural areas usually lean Republican. Going by our current winner-takes-all method of distributing states' electoral votes, a certain portion of the population in every state is going to get overruled, like Republicans in California, or Democrats in Texas. 

I'm not necessarily against large states being split up, but I'm very against it when the main purpose is to mess with the electoral votes. There's no way that it's going to be executed in a logical and fair manner. Splitting a state would be a logistical nightmare even if it wasn't highly politicized. 

I think it should be the decision of the citizens of California.  But I seriously don't see the advantage for either party or for Californians.

1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

I think it should be the decision of the citizens of California.  But I seriously don't see the advantage for either party or for Californians.

Same here. Splitting California could definitely benefit Republicans, however, depending on the new borders. It would be gerrymandering on steroids. 

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Let's just let them secede like they want.  Just make CA a country all its own and then cut all them off.   I mean, we'll lose Hollywood, but who cares about them?

13 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Let's just let them secede like they want.  Just make CA a country all its own and then all them off.   I mean, we'll lose Hollywood, but who cares about them?

I guarantee you the vast majority of Californians don't want to secede. It would also be a pretty major loss to the rest of the US. That's a lot of missing tax revenue.