zorgblar

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

In acts 23:6-9 what does the word spirit mean?

I forgot if I have posted this before.So sorry if I have.:(

11 minutes ago, zorgblar said:

Some say the spirit they are talking about is jesus.Is that true?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

no. it wasnt the Lord, and its not the Holy Spirit because its spirit, not Spirit--- no caps-- it just means some sort of spiritual insite - remember the Pharisees knew a lot-- but not everything about how the Lord works~~

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

25 minutes ago, zorgblar said:

I forgot if I have posted this before.So sorry if I have.:(

Yes.  The same question was posted here:

And the basic answer is, yes. Here's a part of the answer from the other thread:

"We are not to suppose that the Pharisees had become the friends of Paul or of Christianity. The true solution of their conduct doubtless is, that they were so inflamed with hatred against the Sadducees that they were willing to make use of any argument against their doctrine. As the testimony of Paul might be turned to their account, they were willing to vindicate him. It is remarkable, too, that they perverted the statement of Paul in order to oppose the Sadducees. Paul had stated distinctly Acts 22:17-18 that he had been commanded to go by the Lord, meaning the Lord Jesus. He had said nothing of "a spirit or an angel."

Yet they would unite with the Sadducees so far as to maintain that he had received no such command from the Lord Jesus. But they might easily vary his statements, and suppose that an "angel or a spirit" had spoken to him, and thus make use of his conduct as an argument against the Sadducees. Men are not always very careful about the exact correctness of their statements when they wish to humble a rival."

They, being enemies of the cross, would not admit the TRUTH.  (that Y'SHUA MESSIAH had taught Paul)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

7 hours ago, zorgblar said:

Acts 23:6-9 - But when Paul percieved that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council,  Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.  And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees:  and the multitude was divided.  For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit:  but the Pharisees confess both.  And there arose a great cry:  and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part rose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man:  but if a spirit or angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God (the whole text should be Acts 22:30-23:1-11)

Paul had been brought down before the Sanhedrin and earnestly standing before them began to say to them that he lived with a good conscious before God until that day.  Ananias who was the high priest there commanded those who stood by Paul to smite him in his mouth for saying he was not guilty of breaking the law.  Then Paul spoke back to Ananias and said God would smite him and then called him a whited wall because he sat in the council to judge him after the law and commanded that he be smitten for saying he was innocent of breaking the law.  Those that was around Paul told him Revilest thou God's high priest, speaking of Ananias.  Paul then said I wist not brethren that he was the high priest: for it is written Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Paul came to realize in the midst of this that one part of the council before him was part Sadducees and the other part of the council were Pharisees.  Whenever Paul realized that he cried or yelled out in the council that he himself was a Pharisee, he was the son of a Pharisee who believed also in the hope of the resurrection of the dead and for that belief he was called in for question. 

Of course that caused a stir between the two groups as well as the rest of the crowd there.  The Sadducess believed that there was no resurrection, neither believed in the spirits of angels nor did they believe that we have a spirit living within our fleshly body.  They don't believe in the bodily resurrection or spirits of any kind.   The Pharisees on the other hand did believe in both the bodily resurrection and in the spirits of angels and people.

When the word "spirit" is used in verse 8 it is referring to the spirit of a person or the life of a person.

We are made up of body soul and spirit.