• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/24/1987

I was having a discussion recently with another Christian about what's happening in Syria and the Sarin gas attacks. They said that if anyone stood on God's word and used Psalm 91 that no harm would come to them. While I believe that God is obviously capable of miraculously protecting someone, does this psalm imply that He ALWAYS will spare us? This Christian is very adamant that this is exactly what it means. I feel like it's being misused here, because obviously Christians are dying everyday everywhere. They also believe God will ALWAYS spare Christians from plague or famine. All they have to do is "claim" this promise in Psalm 91.  I read the Psalm and I'm not sure how to explain why I don't think that's accurate. It's clear God does miraculously intervene at times but not all the time. So I mean... it can't mean that. Right? Does anyone have any insight into this Psalm that might help me understand?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I believe that is in reference to the second coming. The rapture of the Church has to take place first.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Pie said:

While I believe that God is obviously capable of miraculously protecting someone, does this psalm imply that He ALWAYS will spare us?

It doesn't say it, imply it, or even hint at it.

1 hour ago, Pie said:

Does anyone have any insight into this Psalm that might help me understand?

This is where we all start to seek the TRUTH:  (same as the disciples)
" Then opened HE their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,"

to be continured....

Guest shiloh357
4 hours ago, Pie said:

I was having a discussion recently with another Christian about what's happening in Syria and the Sarin gas attacks. They said that if anyone stood on God's word and used Psalm 91 that no harm would come to them. While I believe that God is obviously capable of miraculously protecting someone, does this psalm imply that He ALWAYS will spare us? This Christian is very adamant that this is exactly what it means. I feel like it's being misused here, because obviously Christians are dying everyday everywhere. They also believe God will ALWAYS spare Christians from plague or famine. All they have to do is "claim" this promise in Psalm 91.  I read the Psalm and I'm not sure how to explain why I don't think that's accurate. It's clear God does miraculously intervene at times but not all the time. So I mean... it can't mean that. Right? Does anyone have any insight into this Psalm that might help me understand?

Psalm 91 should not be construed as God's absolute, unqualified promise of physical protection, 24/7.  

It appears that the person you are referring to is part of the  "name it/claim it" community.

Their argument that if someone will "stand" on Psalm 91 they will be always be spared from harm really flies in the face of everything else the Bible says about persecution and the realities we face when it comes to the adversity and trials that befall us, even as Christians.   What about Paul and the abuse he received?  He was beaten, flogged, stoned and left for dead, shipwrecked, snake bit, put in prison, etc.   What about Stephen who was stoned to death for his testimony?   What about all of those who have had to give their lives for the sake of the Gospel?

I rest in God's faithfulness.  I trust that no matter what happens, I belong to the Lord.  That doesn't always shield me from problems or trials.   Granted, I don't live a self-destructive lifestyle and I make every effort to live in a sober and responsible manner.   I am careful to obey God's commands, but that God has never promised us that we will not have trials.  God HAS promised that he will never leave us or forsake us.   If we walk through the valley of the shadow of death,we are assured that He is there with us walking with us through it.

Psalm 91  is really more spiritual than it is physical.  You will note that it starts off talking about the  person  who is living in the secret place of God's presence.  Psalm 91 is not a set of propositional promises for us to "claim."  It is a general description of the person who abides daily in the secret place of God's presence.  It is talking about those who have made God their refuge and  live in that reality.    Psalm  91 is not really a set of promises per se, but a description of the person who has made  God their hiding place.  It is not a set of promises for people who think that by "claiming" the promises that they will be magically protected from harm.   God's promises are not magic words or incantations we repeat over and over.  

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/24/1987

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

Even David (or Moses) who penned the Psalm eventually died.

Yeah, they realize people die eventually. And they even realize someone can murder a Christian. But they take the psalm to literally mean no plague or pestilence will affect them based on
"For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence...
You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday....
no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. " 

I mean I can see how someone could read it that way. However, I realize it doesn't mean God is going to spare us from everything all the time. 

But then it ends with "With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation." So here, it does seem to be referring to the actual physical life being long.
I know it's hard to interpret the psalms sometimes though, because they share theological truths or worship  and praise, often in a symbolic/metaphorical manner simply because of the nature of the psalms being poetry. 

10 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It is not a set of promises for people who think that by "claiming" the promises that they will be magically protected from harm.   God's promises are not magic words or incantations we repeat over and over. 

This is definitely true. And I do see it used in this manner.  

10 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

You will note that it starts off talking about the  person  who is living in the secret place of God's presence.  Psalm 91 is not a set of propositional promises for us to "claim."  It is a general description of the person who abides daily in the secret place of God's presence.  It is talking about those who have made God their refuge and  live in that reality.    

Thanks for pointing this out because that does show that imagery is being used here. It's not someone who literally abides in the literal secret place or shadow of God. Because we know God doesn't have a literal shadow. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

9 minutes ago, Pie said:

But they take the psalm to literally mean no plague or pestilence will affect them based on
"For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence...
You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday....
no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. " 

I mean I can see how someone could read it that way. However, I realize it doesn't mean God is going to spare us from everything all the time. 

Have you read through Genesis and Exodus before ?

There was a time when God did protect them very majestically and perfectly from all the plagues and diseases.

At that time not one of them was sick.  Not even one.

Later,  when they made idols,  guess what happened ? (it was not good for them) 

Some groups of people around the world have only a small percentage of illness, while other groups even in the same country may have over 50% of the people getting sick. (restricted off-site topic) (the untied states government and profit mongers do not approve of God blessing HIS people with good health.  Likewise many groups oppose it today.

This is all subject to God's Sovereignty, as written in HIS WORD.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Have you read through Genesis and Exodus before ?

There was a time when God did protect them very majestically and perfectly from all the plagues and diseases.

At that time not one of them was sick.  Not even one.

Later,  when they made idols,  guess what happened ? (it was not good for them) 

Some groups of people around the world have only a small percentage of illness, while other groups even in the same country may have over 50% of the people getting sick. (restricted off-site topic) (the untied states government and profit mongers do not approve of God blessing HIS people with good health.  Likewise many groups oppose it today.

This is all subject to God's Sovereignty, as written in HIS WORD.

There are times when God does that, but some false teachers out there will take those instances and try to make doctrines out of them, saying that we should live in that supernatural reality  every day.   And it runs the risk of shipwrecking the faith of some who think they are failing God if they don't experience those things, every day.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

May I suggest the  study By John Piper on the subject? 

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/your-executioner-may-laugh-you-to-scorn-for-quoting-psalm-91  Within  it Piper quotes Satan using  Psalm 91 to try to ensnare Jesus And of course the response by Jesus to Satan.

And : http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/no-evil-shall-befall-you

But is it wrong or will it fail if we are led by the Holy Spirit  to extrapolate from the word of God?  https://world.wng.org/2012/09/powerful_inferences?

And a summary from http://fighterverses.com/blog-post/what-psalm-91-says-about-christian-suffering/

"Consider how Charles Spurgeon explains this same meaning:

It is impossible that any ill should happen to the man who is beloved of the Lord; the most crushing calamities can only shorten his journey and hasten him to his reward. Ill to him is not ill, but only good in a mysterious form. Losses enrich him, sickness is his medicine, reproach is his honor, death is his gain. No evil in the strict sense of the word can happen to him, for everything is overruled for good. Happy is he who is in such a case. He is secure where others are in peril, he lives where others die."

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

And from http://www.faithgateway.com/what-was-meant-for-evil-god-uses-for-good/#.WOi5sneZN0s

comes this excerpt for consideration:

Joseph
Son of Jacob
Graduate with honors from the University of Hard Knocks
Director of Global Effort to Save Humanity Succeeded

How? How did he flourish in the midst of tragedy? We don’t have to speculate. Some twenty years later the roles were reversed, Joseph as the strong one and his brothers the weak ones. They came to him in dread. They feared he would settle the score and throw them into a pit of his own making. But Joseph didn’t. And in his explanation we find his inspiration.

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive. — Genesis 50:20 NASB

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. — Genesis 50:20 NIV

But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. — Genesis 50:20 NKJV

In God’s hands intended evil becomes eventual good.

Joseph tied himself to the pillar of this promise and held on for dear life. Nothing in his story glosses over the presence of evil. Quite the contrary. Bloodstains, tearstains are everywhere. Joseph’s heart was rubbed raw against the rocks of disloyalty and miscarried justice. Yet time and time again God redeemed the pain. The torn robe became a royal one. The pit became a palace. The broken family grew old together. The very acts intended to destroy God’s servant turned out to strengthen him.

“You meant evil against me,” Joseph told his brothers, using a Hebrew verb that traces its meaning to “weave” or “plait.”

“You wove evil,” he was saying, “but God rewove it together for good.”  End of excerpt

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The Psalm never insinuates that we can be kept absolutely perfectly whole and experience no troubles.  It speaks of being delivered out of when in.  Jesus was being taken to be tossed off a cliff but he was able to walk out unharmed.  It wasn't until he laid his life down did anything have power to harm him.  

Joseph was tossed into a pit but God delivered him out.  Peter was tossed into prison and God delivered him out.

I have been teaching men how to live accordingly and see God's almighty deliverance.  I have experienced it as well.

Nobody can testify of the power of God to deliver who have not experienced it.  Stephan spoke in self defense and was stoned.  No marvel there.  He did not rely upon the hand of God to deliver.  Paul was shown what he would have to suffer for the name of God.  He reaped what he had sewn.  The man who drug Christians out of their homes, imprisoning some, whipping others and stoning others was himself drug out, whipped and stoned.

I am learning more everyday.  The name Jesus means the self existent one is salvation.  I work to rely upon God the Father to deliver me from my troubles.  I do not expect not to have them.  Jesus taught that though God promised to send his angels to bear him up that he was responsible for not putting God to the test. 

Many are the afflictions of the righteous but God shall deliver him out of them all.  Not to be confused with Gods ability to keep us from something that we not be touched by it.  He does that too.