spiderman1917

No one ever hated their own body

28 posts in this topic

Today I opened my Bible to 

Ephesians 5: 29 no one ever hated their own body, but they nourish and care for their bodies, just as Christ does the church

I have known people who hate their body.  I passionately hate my flesh and think being human is gross.  If I could be delivered from this body and be a spirit today, I would do so, and I pray it happens.  I have also known people who starve themselves, induce vomiting, whip themselves,  burn themselves, cut themselves, and abuse their bodies in all sorts of ways.

This Scripture verse bothers me because yet again I have come across a verse in Scripture that appears completely false.  I would like to tell people that Scripture is reliable and doesn't contain falsehood, but I can present multiple Scripture verses that don't mean what they say.  

It bothers me because people constantly use Scripture to rebuke people and assume various people are condemned to the "Lake of fire", yet how do we know when the Scripture actually means what it says?  Very often Scripture doesn't mean what it says...like John 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Blessings Spiderman

King James Bible
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Ephesians 5:29

It seems that you look for independent,singular verses of Scripture to find fault for some reason,I must ask why is it that so often you do not read the entire context?This is about  Christs love for His Church,in the same way husbands should love their wives......the way a man would feed himself and love himself  ,he should love & take care of his wife.....no ,no one hates themselves....not anyone that is not oppressed .....when a man is hungry,he eats...'..in Ephesians 6th chapter you see that it is not flesh & blood we wrestle with......demons will surely give a person the thought they should starve themselves,God did not create man that way......

Gods Word is not speaking about anyone oppressed or possessed ..... The Word of God also says"The same way men ought to love their wives".....for that matter there are plenty of men who love men,are there not?....those are oppressed    

Spiderman, I so identify with you.  I can think of every exception to the rule.  So when I was taking a test in high school, I would waste time arguing with the test.  Sometimes I would defiantly put down the wrong answer knowingly, just standing on my principals.  Stupidity!  

Well, it was even more stupid of me to argue with God!.  And, yes, I did that as well.  I was so much happier and blest when I lay all my questioning and arguments down at the feet of Jesus and completely surrendered to Him, once and for all.  That was the final area of my life that I had not surrendered to Him.  But He filled me with such joy when I finally did it, that I would awake early in the morning for weeks with my heart overflowing.  Going outside by myself and reading the Psalms searching for an expression of the joy and thanksgiving that overflowed my heart, there was nothing in the Bible that could express what I wanted to tell God.  So I would just weep.  

Just saying, old friend, that I keep thinking of St Paul being bucked off his horse and struck blind, as God asked him "doesn't it hurt to kick against the goads?"

Willa

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, spiderman1917 said:

Ephesians 5: 29 no one ever hated their own body, but they nourish and care for their bodies, just as Christ does the church

I have known people who hate their body.  I passionately hate my flesh and think being human is gross.  If I could be delivered from this body and be a spirit today, I would do so, and I pray it happens.  I have also known people who starve themselves, induce vomiting, whip themselves,  burn themselves, cut themselves, and abuse their bodies in all sorts of ways.

This Scripture verse bothers me because yet again I have come across a verse in Scripture that appears completely false.  I would like to tell people that Scripture is reliable and doesn't contain falsehood, but I can present multiple Scripture verses that don't mean what they say.  

It bothers me because people constantly use Scripture to rebuke people and assume various people are condemned to the "Lake of fire", yet how do we know when the Scripture actually means what it says?  Very often Scripture doesn't mean what it says...like John 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

We are created finite beings, flesh and bones, created in God's image and likeness. When we die we will retain our flesh and bone bodies, only difference will be that our bodies will be "glorified. " like Christs body, which is glorified flesh and bone. After He was resurrected by the Father Christ appeared before the disciples in a closed room. They were frightened and thought they had see a ghost. He told them not to be frightened and said;

Luke 24:37-39,, But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

v, 38, And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

v, 39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Jesus also carries the scares of His torture and crucifixion for eternity to remind us and future beings of what He did for us.

Zec. 13:6, And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

On 4/9/2017 at 5:40 PM, spiderman1917 said:

You are misinterpreting the intent of the verse.

All this is saying is that people [in context, here, husbands] take care of basic needs and more to preserve and take care of themselves.  It's instinctive to protect yourself.  It should be instinctive for the husband to care for his wife in the same manner since they are one flesh.

Examples of this instinctive self "love".

• When we are hungry we are going to eat, tired - we will rest, dirty - we will eventually bathe.
  • If we accidentally walk through a spider-web and it gets on us - we become ninja masters.
  • If our noses detect that the milk we are about to drink is soured - we don't drink it.
  • If we see a piece of glass or other sharp object in our path - we avoid it.
  • If we hear a noise in the night while in our beds - we become instantly alert and go straight into fight-or-flight mode until we ascertain that it was just the cat knocking over the lamp.

This isn't talking about any sort of emotional or inward conflict about ourselves that could be spiritually linked or linked with depression (et. al.).

No one should hate themselves, we are fearfully and wonderfully made, in God's image.  God tells us to love our neighbours as we love ourselves, not to hate ourselves.  We are to hate sin and corruption, and deny the flesh its corrupted nature; but God doesn't make any junk or something that's broke. We do that by choice, albeit with such ignorance, for we think we know it all and then it turns out... duh, we don't.  Doesn't mean we should hate ourselves, just means we need to learn and grow in love, especially for others.  That's the better thing to focus on, rather than the self.

God bless :)

On 4/11/2017 at 0:28 PM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Spiderman

It seems that you look for independent,singular verses of Scripture to find fault for some reason,I must ask why is it that so often you do not read the entire context?This is about  Christs love for His Church,in the same way husbands should love their wives......the way a man would feed himself and love himself  ,he should love & take care of his wife.....no ,no one hates themselves....not anyone that is not oppressed .....when a man is hungry,he eats...'..in Ephesians 6th chapter you see that it is not flesh & blood we wrestle with......demons will surely give a person the thought they should starve themselves,God did not create man that way......

Gods Word is not speaking about anyone oppressed or possessed ..... The Word of God also says"The same way men ought to love their wives".....for that matter there are plenty of men who love men,are there not?....those are oppressed    

I read the entire context.  It still didn't make sense to me.  Some people hate their bodies.

It also doesn't make sense to me that God will sentence anyone to suffer forever and ever just for not believing in him.  I wouldn't have my worst enemy tortured forever.  Am I more merciful than God?

On 4/12/2017 at 11:31 PM, spiderman1917 said:

I read the entire context.  It still didn't make sense to me.  Some people hate their bodies.

It also doesn't make sense to me that God will sentence anyone to suffer forever and ever just for not believing in him.  I wouldn't have my worst enemy tortured forever.  Am I more merciful than God?

You said :

Am I more merciful than God?

What do you think ,are you a better   person then God?

What does the Bible says about man? 

On 4/9/2017 at 5:40 PM, spiderman1917 said:

People don't hate their bodies as much as they love a vision of perfection that their bodies don't reflect. Hate is a very powerful and intense emotion that should not be used when a more appropraite word should be used. Something like displeased would be closer to the mark. 

People who use language in such a casual  and intellectually lazy manner are easily misunderstood by those who are trying to understand them.

The KKK and the Hezbollah hate. Do you think they want to alter the thing they hate as those people who say they hate their bodies do or do you think they want to wipe out the target of their hatred?

People who talk about hating their bodies, usually have an image brought to them, by and outside source that they use to condemn themselves for not being.  It is not hatred as much as it is remorse for not being that which they deem perfect. A lot of these people would do themselves a great deal of justice if they would work in the inside instead of insisting on dreaming of looking different.

This is apart of the onslaught of Satan's attack on the imagery of reality and the fashion industry, the cosmetic industry and the body alternation industry are his willing partners in this, because they profit by the misery of others self image, the most.

Hi Spiderman

Now you have stated this before & got quite a bit of feedback on that,If I remember correctly you started a Thread on the Topic.....yet you still ask the very same question?What do you think?If your asking me I would say  is quite irreverent to dare to compare yourself to God as being "more than" in any way,,shape or form.....Do you keep the earth in its orbit or the sun shining so man  can continue to live on this planet,in spite of rejecting Him...simply by His NEW MERCY each & everyday,.....you need to get a little gratitude there my friend,did you not wake up this morning? How do you thank that happened?He continues to let the rain fall for not only the just but he unjust as well.....     You? What mercy do you have?Mostly you speak of the 'victim" ,the poor this one & poor that one or the unbeliever & how you think it is not their choosing but they just don't know any better,they are blind     Okay,lets talk about the serial killer,the rapist,the child molester.....would you be tortured,flogged,spit on,beaten be5yond recognition for hours on end &* die for one of those? Or if someone did all that to your own child would you love them?    You need t7o think about the words you speak when comparing yourself to the Creator of the Universe

'    If you take on Gods Character is that He sentences people to suffer forever because they don't believe in Him then I must say you do not know my Heavenly Father personally,Throughout the entire Bible we see Gods Love,Mercy,Compassion,Forgiveness,Understanding,Patience,Long Suffering,Kindness,Gentleness.....what are you reading?