• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

9 hours ago, Neighbor said:

The got Questions ministry- What is it about, why would one quote them as a stand alone authority for a position on Bible, on theology in general?

As someone posted,  it is easier, many times, because they use clear, concise SCRIPTURE and stick with SCRIPTURE more than the oft repeated traditions of men. e.g. so they are much more reliable, SCRIPTURALLY, than other sources that do not rely on SCRIPTURE.

Some things "MIGHT" turn up in error, on purpose or by 'accident', on got questions,  but they are tested and proven every day by hundreds or thousands of BIBLE BELIEVERS. So it's uncommon to find an error.

It is NOT a stand-alone authority by any means (I do not know if they claim to be; I don't think so),

but they stand on the authority of the SCRIPTURES, the WORD OF GOD, as GOD has revealed to men.

(instead of standing on man's ways of thinking, and instead of man's traditions which contradict GOD and HIS WORD.)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Spock said:

I agree with Shiloh on this one. If I'm in a discussion, I'm not upset if someone, wanting to support their position, cuts and pastes Got Questioms. Usually that is not long.  I may not feel warm and fuzzy over lomggggggggg sites. 

The issue i have with that is, if a supporting statement from the poster  does not accompany the Got question  quote, then i feel like i am talking with got question.  A person can summarize the  got question article and if someone challenges his summary, he can simply place the entire quote from got question.   As Patriot said, put a little effort into your post and not just cut and paste, especially long paragraphs.  

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Neighbor said:

The got Questions ministry- What is it about, why would one quote them as a stand alone authority for a position on Bible, on theology in general?

The ministry itself states the 4300 articles come from multiple sources, and are anonymous for reason.

Basically they are all opinion, opinions of men, and perhaps women too. The ministry states one should use it as an aid  then search the Bible. From this "resource" comes this guidance:

...(5) We would rather our answers not be accepted or rejected based on who wrote them. We want people to compare our answers with Scripture and accept or reject what we publish based on that comparison.

(6) An author’s byline is unnecessary. The reference information given on our citation page is sufficient without the author’s name in virtually every setting, academia included.

Ultimately, as the president and CEO of the ministry, S. Michael Houdmann is accountable for the content of our website.

I am repeating my opening  post above.

Let me state  I think again, that I use Got Questions!!!!! That said, it is the very reason I  posed my questions, my thoughts, and my opinion.

I wish to generate conversation about this resource - for my own benefit mostly.  I would like to learn what others know about the ministry! I ask questions because that is one good way  for me to learn, least sometimes. Please  don't assume a rant or agenda other than curiosity is afoot. I am pretty blunt and sometimes terse, if I have an agenda it will not be hidden. It will be right out there for all to see.

I am not on a rant against Got Questions. I wonder about the ministry, am seeking information about it, including who it is, who is responsible for what is in their catalog of information.

My opinion of disappointment is only in the anonymity of the individual authors; and that I do not buy into the explanation given by  Got Questions. When I read an especially astute response, whether I agree with it or not, I would like to find more from the author, so that I may learn  about them  and get a better sense of what they are trying to communicate  in their writings.

I do not care one way  or another whether someone posts G A's entire answer, and does so without adding personal  comments or thoughts. If that is all a person has to offer, well okay, but I would really  be much more interested in the personal conclusions reached by the person posting the Got Answers response. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

I agree with Patriot and Neighbor on this one. If I come to a post that is nothing but an article from got questions, with nothing else added...I don't even read it but just skip to the next post.

Edited by Logan

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Would you rather see my opinion or the Word of God? I see a lot of opinions on Worthy with no Scripture what so ever. Some answers just calls for my Christian opinion and some a solid Ministry.  Most of the people who have a problem with "Got Questions" is because their belief does not line up with what "Got Questions" believes. It is a sound Ministry or I would not post them. :)

I do often times read and appreciate the Got Questions articles.  As long as Worthy allows anyone to contribute without restrictions, I think it is a great addition.  Those who don't want to read, can easily skip over.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Found an interesting ( to me ) interview with the founder of Got Questions at http://www.gotquestions.org/S-Michael-Houdmann.html

About the only thing I find a personal disappointment is the reasoning given (elsewhere) for not giving name credit to the resource they are using (The authors). I don't buy that they do cannot remember their sources and are afraid for their sources well being  if named and that thye cannot get  permission to use names of authors- that just doesn't read right to me. It seems pretty lame in fact. But it is what it is. As to the man's seminary background that too may give some insight into whose commentaries are presented and whose may not be. That is not a sinister thing it is just helpful to know who is in charge and what  motivates them.

Question asked and answered in the interview:"What is your education?

Answer; "I received a Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies from Calvary University and a Masters of Arts in Christian Theology from Calvary Theological Seminary. During college and seminary, I did not feel a clear calling from God into any of the traditional forms of ministry. So, the degree programs I chose were somewhat general. Looking back, they were the perfect programs to prepare me for answering questions at GotQuestions.org. They provided me with a strong foundation in understanding the Bible and Christian theology, and in knowing how to teach it to others. "

So,  I will now like to know more about Calvary Theological Seminary, anyone have information? Experience?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

their sources well being  if named and that thye cannot get  permission to use names of authors

This is true all over the world.

The sources are often (and their families, friends and neighbors and church) targeted(for harm/ death/ harassment)

, just like a political figure and their family is targeted, when they are a public figure,  especially Christians.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

What I like about them is a lot of their answers can now be listened to as well as read. This may be something new bc I don't remember it a year or so ago. So it's a quick easy way to hear an opinion on a topic I'm unfamiliar with. What I don't like is the design of the website makes it look like it's authoritative which it isn't. But I'm still glad it's there, it's a useful tool.