Mike 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

Recently I have had this awareness of groups of people referring to the Holy Spirit as just Holy Spirit.

It discomforts me, I don't know why, maybe it's because I don't see just plain Holy Spirit being referred to in the bible.

It is always preceded by "the" or "His".

Plus it seems that taking "the" away changes the intended meaning to something else.

We don't see "the Jesus", just Jesus. Adding "the" changes the meaning of Jesus. Removing it also changes the meaning.

Anybody else get that feeling?

Is referring to "the Holy Spirit" as just "Holy Spirit" biblical?

Edited by Mike 2

Guest Teditis

It's difficult for me to say either way.

A lot of times on Worthy (or any forum) I see a lot of misspellings, typos and poor grammar, so I tend to overlook missing words and such.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I usually see it as "the Holy Spirit".Some relations such as the RCC say "the Holy Ghost". :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

43 minutes ago, Mike 2 said:

Recently I have had this awareness of groups of people referring to the Holy Spirit as just Holy Spirit.

It discomforts me, I don't know why, maybe it's because I don't see just plain Holy Spirit being referred to in the bible.

It is always preceded by "the" or "His".

Plus it seems that taking "the" away changes the intended meaning to something else.

We don't see "the Jesus", just Jesus. Adding "the" changes the meaning of Jesus. Removing it also changes the meaning.

Anybody else get that feeling?

Is referring to "the Holy Spirit" as just "Holy Spirit" biblical?

No

I say both. It depends on what the context of the sentences is.

When your speaking to a person about how the word holy spirit derived.  You would say the word holy spirit comes from ect  ect. You wouldn't say the word the holy spirit comes from ect ect.

When you are speaking to someone about how the holy spirit operates. You would say the holy spirit operates like this and that. You wouldn't say holy spirit operates like this and that.

Adding or taking away the word The doesn't change the word.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Without capital letters, 

suppose 12 men who are holy , born again of GOD,  given a new and holy spirit (their own spirit) by the FATHER,

and

someone asked a messenger to give a beef brisket (or a fish) to the robed man with the holy spirit,

"the" does not then separate one of the twelve from the others - it does not identify one of them "specifically" different or apart from the others.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

27 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Without capital letters, 

suppose 12 men who are holy , born again of GOD,  given a new and holy spirit (their own spirit) by the FATHER,

and

someone asked a messenger to give a beef brisket (or a fish) to the robed man with the holy spirit,

"the" does not then separate one of the twelve from the others - it does not identify one of them "specifically" different or apart from the others.

What about if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with the holy spirit.

Would that be like if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with Bob?

In that case Bob is clearly someone with the robed man.

However, if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with the Bob, is he no longer referring to someone but something?

This is why I am concerned about that one little word, a word that is used consistently throughout the bible.  Its use seems to give meaning.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

4 minutes ago, Mike 2 said:

What about if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with the holy spirit.

Would that be like if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with Bob?

In that case Bob is clearly someone with the robed man.

However, if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with the Bob, is he no longer referring to someone but something?

This is why I am concerned about that one little word, a word that is used consistently throughout the bible.  Its use seems to give meaning.

Ooops - consider instead -  12 robed men with Bob -

"However, if he is asked to give a beef brisket to the robed man with... Bob"

Not "something" - "the robed man with Bob" is a person, a man, robed.  "the robed man with Bob" could be any of the twelve.  Likewise "a robed man with Bob" , could be any of those robed, with Bob...

Your concern is noted - and the solution/ the answer/ the revelation/ is with GOD.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The is an article.   We may say The Christ or we may address Him, Christ Jesus, come.    It is semantics.  We may say: "Bless You, Holy Spirit, for leading me to Jesus.  Thank You, Jesus, for revealing the Father to me.  Thank You, Father, for making me Your own.  

The just designates a particular being.  A is a general article.  Our God is not just a god.  He is the Living God and is like no other.