• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,556
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Involuntary Bumping  https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Excerpts, see link for complete list of rights and procedures.

DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't. ....

• If you are bumped involuntarily and the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to get you to your final destination (including later connections) within one hour of your original scheduled arrival time, there is no compensation.
  • If the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to arrive at your destination between one and two hours after your original arrival time (between one and four hours on international flights), the airline must pay you an amount equal to 200% of your one-way fare to your final destination that day, with a $675 maximum.
  • If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, $1350 maximum).
  • If your ticket does not show a fare (for example, a frequent-flyer award ticket or a ticket issued by a consolidator), your denied boarding compensation is based on the lowest cash, check or credit card payment charged for a ticket in the same class of service (e.g., coach, first class) on that flight.
  • You always get to keep your original ticket and use it on another flight. If you choose to make your own arrangements, you can request an "involuntary refund" for the ticket for the flight you were bumped from. The denied boarding compensation is essentially a payment for your inconvenience.
  • If you paid for optional services on your original flight (e.g., seat selection, checked baggage) and you did not receive those services on your substitute flight or were required to pay a second time, the airline that bumped you must refund those payments to you.

Like all rules, however, there are a few conditions and exceptions:

• ... If you miss the check-in deadline, you may have lost your reservation and your right to compensation if the flight is oversold.

... no compensation is due if the airline arranges substitute transportation which is scheduled to arrive at your destination within one hour of your originally scheduled arrival time.

If the airline must substitute a smaller plane for the one it originally planned to use, the carrier isn't required to pay people who are bumped as a result. ... Airlines set their own "boarding priorities" -- the order in which they will bump different categories of passengers in an oversale situation. ..., some airlines bump passengers with the lowest fares first. Others bump the last passengers to check in. ...

... you have the right to insist on a check if that is your preference. Once you cash the check (or accept the free flight), you will probably lose the ability to pursue more money from the airline later on. However, if being bumped costs you more money than the airline will pay you at the airport, you can try to negotiate... ...You are always free to decline the check (e.g., not cash it) and take the airline to court to try to obtain more compensation. ...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

BTW the flight evidently was a less than two hour flight to Louisville, which would cap out the required  involuntery compensation offer at $800 Maximum. But were they ever foolish not to entice someone with a higher offer/incentive. 

Edited by Neighbor

4 hours ago, other one said:

You need to look at what one signs to get those tickets....  he will not win a suit unless United just decide to settle.  The guy was legally wrong.  Big shot doctor who put himself over all the other passengers...  you guys should not be backing him.

Hi, I don't back him. I back civility and reason. And am dumbfounded at how foolish the policy of the airline is. Don't they play out scenarios of what if's when they make policies and train their personnel? The way they handled their own error of overbooking and not planning seating for their own staff was pretty foolish. It was more than an overbooking they had not allotted seating for themselves. By taking away the seat of the paying passenger they separated a husband and wife to accommodate their own comfort. What if it had been a random selection that picked a parent of three young children, or a care giver for another passenger, would they  just drag them off if they protested being separated? Poorly thought out policy is my "opinion".

It was an economics driven policy, and a foolish stubbornness on the airlines part, to not find ways to entice people  when playing the game of we have to bump someone  because we overbooked. Actually they didn't overbook so much as did not allow  for the need or desire to transport their own staff. If they are that insensitive on that matter how insensitive are they to other issues?

As to the man bumped  being a big shot doctor, his big shot doctor's patients that needed him and were denied access to him will also have reason to bring a damages case against United Airlines.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Just saw the whole video on the news - the passenger hit his face on an armrest and was concussed.

The force of removal was out of line - that's obvious.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, other one said:

The guy was wrong for not leaving the plane.  The overlooking came from United employees needing to get to that location and the contracts you sign for the tickets say they can make you get off the plane....

The guy not only wouldn't leave  when forced to leave he actually returned and fought with the police.  He should be put in jail instead of being felt sorry for....   I might give him a tear had he done what he should have, but he didn't.   It was only a 4 hour drive to where he was going if it was really important.  I have made a drive in that situation in the past, but it was more like 11 hours...

You can't excuse what the man did.

The pasenger was in the right...once they let him board the plane they are stuck with him by contract....I hope he sues United Airlines into bankruptcy..they are totally incompetent and fraudulent.

1 hour ago, other one said:

It was the police who took him off not the airlines.  BTW not following the planes orders is a felony that could end up a serious problem.  Not following police orders gets you beat up if necessary and still in trouble.

This is not about not following airlines "orders"  it is about airlines stupidty and incompetence, overbooking the flight and then letting everyone on board....it is totally United Resposibility and I hope he sues them into bankruptcy.

5 hours ago, other one said:

You need to look at what one signs to get those tickets....  he will not win a suit unless United just decide to settle.  The guy was legally wrong.  Big shot doctor who put himself over all the other passengers...  you guys should not be backing him.

The passenger is not wrong..you are..again.

5 hours ago, Zemke said:

800 dollars and a hotel room and no takers. That's what baffles me. I have a friend that books specifically to get offers like that and he's pretty good at it. Highest traffic times and dates for holidays and He is booking. I guess everyone really needed to be where they were going.

Yes, I have been compensated  a few times myself. Made money a few times. Once I was put on another flight  arriving without minutes of the first to boot. Of course on the other side of these opportunities  was the time I was stuck at Dallas-Ft Worth for 7 hours without any help comfort or compensation, late flights from Tampa had been messed up, then when I did get out of Dallas  our plane arrived too late for the John Wayne night time curfew, we were diverted to Los Angeles International, were I found myself at 2:30 AM with no transportation to meet me, and no rental cars available at that  time. I hiked  to  a point where I did manage a taxi and paid for the driver to take me to Orange County after some negotiation.  

When I arrived at my destination  no one was there because they were at John Wayne trying to find out where I had ended up. No one knew. And so I had paid and dismissed the taxi, was outside  without a coat on a 40 degree night  in Yorba Linda. I walked to the little downtown such as it is  hoping to find something open, nothing was. So I hiked back and curled up  on the leeward side  of the house out of the wind until sunrise when my hosts returned from their all night ordeal of trying to find me.

It was not the best travel adventure.  But provided a new practice of  learning endurance toward patience- Hebrews 10:36 loosely applied

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

11 hours ago, Neighbor said:

A few quick thoughts on the video being shown of the passenger being forced off a United Airlines flight.

That is the death of United Airlines

The passenger is one rich man walking. Can you imagine any civil lawsuit jury not granting him a fortune  from United Airlines?

The man was traveling with his wife and he was dragged off. How nuts was that? 

What of the Chicago Airport police goons, did not one of them have better sense than to do that to a man?

And what of the other passengers, why would they be nuts enough to continue on that flight? All should have stood uptogether and said; get me off of here, I will not fly United Airlines.

But no one did much of anything, but let the selected lamb be slaughtered.

All passengers were held captive on the tarmac were threatened and were traumatized. United Airlines would not up their reward in United dollars above $800. They said they would not do it, though regulations evidently state up to $1300 can  or should be offered. instead United would play  a power game over their captive passengers and  would keep everyone on the ground until someone got off.

My guess is all on that flight will have a good lawsuit against United.

Seems we are coming to the point we do not use  basic courtesy, things quickly become escalated up to conflict.  It is time of the signs I guess.

Where's the link?

Don't think I'm allowed to post links to videos on Worthy Christian Forums. It can be found   by searching-  man removed from united Airlines flight Chicago.