HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.9news.com.au/World/2017/04/12/13/19/high-risks-in-going-to-war-with-north-korea?amp=1

North Korea is likely to "go early and go nuclear" in its military response to any US-led attack, warns an Australian-based security expert.

Euan Graham, a security analyst with the Lowy Institute for International Policy in Sydney, told nine.com.au that while the rogue state would be overwhelmed in terms of conventional forces, it could be forced to deploy its nuclear and chemical arsenal.

And if North Korean leader Kim Jong-un feels a "decapitation" strike is imminent by the US and its allies, he could choose to move first.

Mr Graham said recent North Korean missile tests were really military exercises preparing for the rapid use of the warheads.

"These aren't missile tests, they are military exercises. North Korea knows the missiles work. What the military units are doing now practising, practising for a nuclear war."

He added that "going early and going nuclear" is part of the North Korean strategy.

Mr Graham explained that any American assault would entail a one to two-month bombardment of key military and nuclear installations by aircraft and sea-launched missiles

Overwhelming air power would quickly dispose of North Korea's ageing air force and its few anti-aircraft missiles.

Although North Korea has one of the largest armies in the world of about 1.2million men, it is a mixed bag of capabilities.

"They have about 100,000 special forces and crack units loyal to Kim. They have also managed to upgrade some of their armour despite sanctions," said Mr Graham.

But he said the real risk for the US would be a widening of the conflict.

The North Koreans have artillery along the border with the south that is capable of reaching Seoul. If that happened, South Korea which has a strong military would be compelled to get involved."

"Their nuclear missiles can also reach US bases in Japan and South Korea."

Western leaders would also have to take into account China's reaction which has a treaty with North Korea dating back to the 1960s.

"There are big strategic risks in any war with North Korea," Mr Graham said.

His warning came as a US naval strike group headed toward the Korean peninsula, a show of force that prompted the nuclear-armed North to declare it was "ready to react to any mode of war desired by the US."

The US strike group - which includes the Nimitz-class nuclear powered flagship aircraft supercarrier USS Carl Vinson - turned toward the Korean peninsula this weekend in response to what a top White House official called a "pattern of provocative behavior."

Guest shiloh357

History will condemn us if we don't take out his nuke capability and take it out now.   They now have 30 kiloton warheads.  For perspective, the bombs that were dropped on Japan in WW2 were 15 kiloton.

Take out North Korea's command and control as well as air bases, runways, and missile launch sites in the first few strikes.  Leave them deaf, dumb and blind, gain complete air superiority at the start and then hit the factories and facilities used to make and test the missiles and nuclear war heads.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Considering Kim Jong-un is crazy kid by our standards I don't think we should attack them unless they attack us. We shouldn't start a world war bc if turns nuclear no one will win.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

According 6o Pravda they have evacuated more than a half  million people from the capital because there weren't enough bomb shelters for them.  We had activity just off our west coast in the last few days by our navy's sub hunter/killer planes....  I would not take any of this lightly.  Who knows what might hsppen.....   if we are going to have another Pearl Harbor, let's direct them to San Francisco at least. That would teach them to give us Nancy Pelosi.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

On 4/12/2017 at 1:52 AM, HisFirst said:

http://www.9news.com.au/World/2017/04/12/13/19/high-risks-in-going-to-war-with-north-korea?amp=1

North Korea is likely to "go early and go nuclear" in its military response to any US-led attack, warns an Australian-based security expert.

Euan Graham, a security analyst with the Lowy Institute for International Policy in Sydney, told nine.com.au that while the rogue state would be overwhelmed in terms of conventional forces, it could be forced to deploy its nuclear and chemical arsenal.

And if North Korean leader Kim Jong-un feels a "decapitation" strike is imminent by the US and its allies, he could choose to move first.

Mr Graham said recent North Korean missile tests were really military exercises preparing for the rapid use of the warheads.

"These aren't missile tests, they are military exercises. North Korea knows the missiles work. What the military units are doing now practising, practising for a nuclear war."

He added that "going early and going nuclear" is part of the North Korean strategy.

Mr Graham explained that any American assault would entail a one to two-month bombardment of key military and nuclear installations by aircraft and sea-launched missiles

Overwhelming air power would quickly dispose of North Korea's ageing air force and its few anti-aircraft missiles.

Although North Korea has one of the largest armies in the world of about 1.2million men, it is a mixed bag of capabilities.

"They have about 100,000 special forces and crack units loyal to Kim. They have also managed to upgrade some of their armour despite sanctions," said Mr Graham.

But he said the real risk for the US would be a widening of the conflict.

The North Koreans have artillery along the border with the south that is capable of reaching Seoul. If that happened, South Korea which has a strong military would be compelled to get involved."

"Their nuclear missiles can also reach US bases in Japan and South Korea."

Western leaders would also have to take into account China's reaction which has a treaty with North Korea dating back to the 1960s.

"There are big strategic risks in any war with North Korea," Mr Graham said.

His warning came as a US naval strike group headed toward the Korean peninsula, a show of force that prompted the nuclear-armed North to declare it was "ready to react to any mode of war desired by the US."

The US strike group - which includes the Nimitz-class nuclear powered flagship aircraft supercarrier USS Carl Vinson - turned toward the Korean peninsula this weekend in response to what a top White House official called a "pattern of provocative behavior."

The writer makes some good points here, yet I am sure that the US is already considering these points.  Take the border as an example.  If the US ever decided it is necessary to remove NK's ability to use nuclear weapons, I highly believe they would not just target the nuke sites, but any means of retaliation ability NK has, including wiping our their boarder weaponry so SK would suffer far less damage by bombardments.

As for any missile NK could fire, they are slow enough to be intercepted by US anti-missile technology.

That said, I am sure the US is not going in to start a fight, but to monitor NK's activities.  It would be wise to be at the ready just in case NK does try to lob missiles into SK or even the task force.  What I am more concerned about is if they do try testing more missiles in the direction of Japan, will the US shoot them down?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

55 minutes ago, other one said:

According 6o Pravda they have evacuated more than a half  million people from the capital because there weren't enough bomb shelters for them.  We had activity just off our west coast in the last few days by our navy's sub hunter/killer planes....  I would not take any of this lightly.  Who knows what might hsppen.....   if we are going to have another Pearl Harbor, let's direct them to San Francisco at least. That would teach them to give us Nancy Pelosi.

Half a million people from where?  Moscow?  What is 60 Pravda?  How do you know about sub hunter/killer plane activity off the coast?  What that reported somewhere?  And, really, I wouldn't want to see San Francisco, or any American city, targeted.  I don't take a casual attitude toward American casualties.

4 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Half a million people from where?  Moscow?  What is 60 Pravda?  How do you know about sub hunter/killer plane activity off the coast?  What that reported somewhere?  And, really, I wouldn't want to see San Francisco, or any American city, targeted.  I don't take a casual attitude toward American casualties.

60 provda is the russian news paper that is printed for Russians.....   not the propaganda that is put out for us....   I read it and three others at least once a week.   The sub activity was from either a tv station in LA or the LA times web site.    Keep up with things MG.     half a million people from the capitol of North Korea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=600%2C000+evacuated+from+PYONGYANG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&gws_rd=ssl

take your pick

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

4 hours ago, other one said:

60 provda is the russian news paper that is printed for Russians.....   not the propaganda that is put out for us....   I read it and three others at least once a week.   The sub activity was from either a tv station in LA or the LA times web site.    Keep up with things MG.     half a million people from the capitol of North Korea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=600%2C000+evacuated+from+PYONGYANG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&gws_rd=ssl

take your pick

Well I thought I WAS keeping up with things.  I've heard nothing on the news about people being evacuated from Pyongyang or any sub activity.  I don't watch or read anything from L.A. OR Russia so.....?  Why would anyone read a Russian newspaper?

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

2 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Well I thought I WAS keeping up with things.  I've heard nothing on the news about people being evacuated from Pyongyang or any sub activity.  I don't watch or read anything from L.A. OR Russia so.....?  Why would anyone read a Russian newspaper?

For the same reason many of us in the military read them during the cold war: to hear the story from the other guy's point of view. Also the lame stream media in the US is so busy Trump bashing that they are not reporting on a lot of things including North Korea.

8 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

You get a lot of stories that is only covered here locally and to understand what they are being told basically what we are.  Get a bit of insight as to why they do the things they do and sometimes a glimpse of what's coming.  I don't trust our government or our news people so I just want to get a glimpse of the other side. The English versions are put out for US consumption. But those in Russian are a different story.  I also spend some time looking through Arabic sites both from here in the US and the Middle East.  Muslim Brotherhood sites are completely different in arabic.