HisFirst

Girl - unfortunate name.

15 posts in this topic

The unfortunate thing about some of these strange names that parents give their kids, is that the parents thing they are funny and aren't really receptive when their kids are teased and ridiculed in school.  Kids can be very, very cruel and some have even driven other children to kill themselves.

I can't find it now, but there was a story about a girl who was suing her own parents to have her name changed from Ophelia balls. They thought it funny and was against changing it. I'd have walked away from them, after I was 18 and never looked back. If they were unconcerned with what was going on in her life, why should she allow herself or any husband or children that she had to be victimized by these people.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

The unfortunate thing about some of these strange names that parents give their kids, is that the parents thing they are funny and aren't really receptive when their kids are teased and ridiculed in school.  Kids can be very, very cruel and some have even driven other children to kill themselves.

I believe the real problem is in people, not in the names.

It is like: "Oh, that one have a different name. Let's go and make fun out of that unfortunate soul."

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2

12 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It is absolutely true!  We had a pretty good laugh about it at work. 

What a name.

8 hours ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

I believe the real problem is in people, not in the names.

It is like: "Oh, that one have a different name. Let's go and make fun out of that unfortunate soul."

No, its not about "a different name" thats not Wrstern, but the connections with another word with an entirely different meaning or association - example, I work with children and its very multicultural where I work, so some of the names of these children from other cultures have names that are pronounced as a western derogatory words or a name that has a not so nice association in the west - so the article I posted wasn't mocking her name but was pointing out the connection to her names and the association of them in the West in this day and age.

I deliberately named my children easy to spell, simple, well known names that:

1.  No one could make anything derogatory out of;

2.  no one could make anything derogatory out of the initials (when put together), so that their journey through life could be easier.

I knew someone who named their child something like "Cherry Berry" or "Cherry Pie" or something like that.  Won't tell the real name as someone I know may see it and feel bad.

But I understand where you are coming from, HisFirst.  Hope things are going well, Banana Bender (from Sandgroper) lol

On Christ The Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.