• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers. (I Cor. 14:22a)

If tongues are for today, what would be God's purpose?  Scripture points out there should be an interpreter if tongues are spoken, yet in my limited experience around those who believe speaking tongues today, I have yet to hear someone interpret.  

Is this something some pray for and desire?  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,787
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

50 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers. (I Cor. 14:22a)

If tongues are for today, what would be God's purpose?  Scripture points out there should be an interpreter if tongues are spoken, yet in my limited experience around those who believe speaking tongues today, I have yet to hear someone interpret.  

That's because it could be examined by Scripture an possibly fail to be recognized of God...

3 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

That's because it could be examined by Scripture an possibly fail to be recognized of God...

Not clear on your intention, does this mean you believe those who speak in tongues today are in error?

1 Cor 14:39  So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,787
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

7 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Not clear on your intention, does this mean you believe those who speak in tongues today are in error?

It is never to be done without interpretation...
Who can discern this! It is not interpreted  and thus Scripture cannot be used to verify the spirit of the occurrence!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I do not believe that tongues are for today. I am a cessationist. All gifts of tongues have ceased.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

This is one subject I am perplexed by.  I do not want to come out and say they have ceased because I know scripture doesn't come out and say that.  In fact, it says the opposite.  I have been at one church- church of God- where it is done and the minister gives interpretation.  I have discussed this with ministers, and even they are divided. I know John McArthur thinks they have ceased but I just don't know. 

Without sounding blasphemous, that Church of God service sounded scripted and hokey to me, but again, I am not dogmatic and I could be completely off base, so Lord, please don't shoot me down for saying that. 

I just don't know......

but, I lean toward this- tongues may not be gibberjabbish, but may be another language just like at Pentecost. 

I just don't know.....

Edited by Spock

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

2 hours ago, hmbld said:

Hi hmbld,

Well I grew up with tongues, prophecy, etc. being exercised. I personally received the gift of tongues at a young people`s camp in New Zealand in the `60`s. I have continued to speak in tongues to praise the Lord, privately. However in a group situation of believers, there is a different gift of tongues, in that it is a message for the body. Some one needs to interpret that message for the edification & building up of the Body of Christ.

So - one is for private praying, & the other is for the Body, a message of edification.

regards, Marilyn.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

1 minute ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi hmbld,

Well I grew up with tongues, prophecy, etc. being exercised. I personally received the gift of tongues at a young people`s camp in New Zealand in the `60`s. I have continued to speak in tongues to praise the Lord, privately. However in a group situation of believers, there is a different gift of tongues, in that it is a message for the body. Some one needs to interpret that message for the edification & building up of the Body of Christ.

So - one is for private praying, & the other is for the Body, a message of edification.

regards, Marilyn.

You are correct Marilyn. One is for a sign to unbelievers.  And another for our blessing.

1 hour ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi hmbld,

regards, Marilyn.

Thanks.  I've only been around people who claim tongues, but no interpretation is given.  I've read the arguments that tongues have ceased, yet I'm not convinced.  Neither am I convinced that I ought to pray for this gift.  Someone prayed over me to receive it, and it was like my mouth was glued shut.  Unbelief?  lack of faith?  Or just for some people, not all?