• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

The first display of tongues was on the day of Pentecost;

Acts 2:1   And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Acts 2:2   And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Acts 2:3   And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Acts 2:4   And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:5   And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Acts 2:6   Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Acts 2:7   And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Acts 2:8   And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Acts 2:9   Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Acts 2:10   Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Acts 2:11   Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues
the wonderful works of God.

Acts 2:12   And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

Acts 2:13   Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

53 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Thanks.  I've only been around people who claim tongues, but no interpretation is given.  I've read the arguments that tongues have ceased, yet I'm not convinced.  Neither am I convinced that I ought to pray for this gift.  Someone prayed over me to receive it, and it was like my mouth was glued shut.  Unbelief?  lack of faith?  Or just for some people, not all?

Hi hmbld,

I would have closed my mouth too. The `speaking privately` & the GIFT of tongues is different.

Now the difference I see in scripture & was taught, that speaking in tongues is one manifestation of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, (or as some say the Baptism of the Holy Spirit). It is a private speaking, & for building up that individual in the Holy Spirit. Everyone who seeks the infilling/baptism will be able to/should be able to speak in tongues.

However the gift of tongues is another thing. Not every one who speaks in tongues has that gift. It is like prophecy but in a tongue, and is part of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit who distributes as He wills. (1 Cor. 12: 10) Also speaking forth with the gift of tongues is actually a lesser activity, & the person should be seeking to bring forth the message in the language that all will understand. So -

1. Speaking in tongues to God by your self is praising the Lord & building up your spirit. (It is not called the gift of tongues.)

2. The GIFT of tongues, is the Holy Spirit speaking through some one a message for the Body. It obviously needs to be interpreted. If some one was speaking forth a language that someone knew it would be a good sign to that person, that God is speaking through that person.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Like Mr. spock said, the Bible did not mention cessation, but through my Christian walk, my own conclusion is that it is not for today as it is very seldom seen practiced as the word outlined it.  My sister speak in tongues and she has been a believer for most of here sixty something years on this earth and i have had discussion with her about it.  I know her well, to say that she would not lie to me, especially about spiritual matters.   I have only one thing to be cautious about, and that is satan is a master manipulator and counterfeiter and does not pass up a chance to deceive.  We must test the spirits.

I have always wondered about this gift as the whole Fundamental Baptist and others do not believe and speak in tongues and they are the Lord children too.  This always bugs me. 

A question thought that kind of bugs me from what i have read about the history, is just after the apostle days, tongues was not spoken till the early ninteen century.  It started up again and some have attributed that to the last days of pouring out of the spirit or something to that effect.   True or false ?.

2 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Like Mr. spock said, the Bible did not mention cessation, but through my Christian walk, my own conclusion is that it is not for today as it is very seldom seen practiced as the word outlined it.  My sister speak in tongues and she has been a believer for most of here sixty something years on this earth and i have had discussion with her about it.  I know her well, to say that she would not lie to me, especially about spiritual matters.   I have only one thing to be cautious about, and that is satan is a master manipulator and counterfeiter and does not pass up a chance to deceive.  We must test the spirits.

I have always wondered about this gift as the whole Fundamental Baptist and others do not believe and speak in tongues and they are the Lord children too.  This always bugs me. 

A question thought that kind of bugs me from what i have read about the history, is just after the apostle days, tongues was not spoken till the early ninteen century.  It started up again and some have attributed that to the last days of pouring out of the spirit or something to that effect.   True or false ?.

Hi Warrior,

My thoughts are that people have always spoken in tongues down through the ages, but to the Lord in praise & adoration, privately. However I agree that publically in man`s organisations the infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit has not been common & was brought to light in the Pentecostal move of God & later across the Body in the Charismatic move. Of course with the truth there is always the counterfeit, so we must be very aware & careful.

Like your sister I have spoken in tongues, privately to the Lord for nearly 60 years & know that it builds up my spirit as I praise & worship the Lord.

regards, Marilyn.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

I was born again into a charismatic church in 1978.  Four months or so after that I was baptised in the Holy Spirit.  At that time, I began to speak in my own heavenly language to God, and this language has never changed.  When I cannot express myself deeply enough to God in English, I begin to pray to Him and it always uplifts me and has done for 39 years.  I am in a pentecostal church now, and all our leadership have the same gift (own tongue).  Mark 16:17-18 says "And these signs will accompany those who have believed: 'in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, {we do not test the Lord by doing this on purpose of course} and if they drink any deadly poison,{by accident of course} it shall not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.'"  I am completely comfortable about this and continue to follow the Lord and His commandments.  My pastor is a solid Word man and listens to the Word on his Ipod all the time.

I do not believe this is a salvation issue at all.  I have known a lot of beautiful Christian folk who do not speak in tongues and I have great respect for them, knowing that they are saved and serving the Lord, He is first in their lives and they love Him.  I remember encountering a group of people who believed that if you didn't speak in tongues you weren't saved.  They were in error.

10 minutes ago, SisterActs2 said:

I am in a pentecostal church now, and all our leadership have the same gift (own tongue).

Well this has been a troubling or should i say a stumbling block for me with this gift.   As i mentioned before in this post, the Fundamental Baptist and others  are huge church membership and fellowship and they don't speak or believe in the active speaking of tongues today.   How could the Holy Spirit not move in these churches and within those people.   Surely, if this gift is given to you, i am thinking that it cannot be refused as it would be the spirit pouring this gift unto your person and invoking [if i may use that word] the act of speaking in an unknown language.    Any explanation or thoughts about this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/23/1967

Does anyone have Scripture to support their private prayer language? Acts 2 certainly doesn't describe anything like this. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

For myself, in the scripture above (Mark 16:17-18).  However, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.  So, why wouldn't He (by the power of the Holy Spirit) give me the same gift He gave those at Pentecost?  I believe I have the same gifts from God as those in Acts 2, hence my name.

20 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

Well this has been a troubling or should i say a stumbling block for me with this gift.   As i mentioned before in this post, the Fundamental Baptist and others  are huge church membership and fellowship and they don't speak or believe in the active speaking of tongues today.   How could the Holy Spirit not move in these churches and within those people.   Surely, if this gift is given to you, i am thinking that it cannot be refused as it would be the spirit pouring this gift unto your person and invoking [if i may use that word] the act of speaking in an unknown language.    Any explanation or thoughts about this.

Hi warrior,

I think the confusion comes when we think that speaking in tongues as an initial sign of the infilling/baptism in the Holy Spirit gets mixed up with one of the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit. The first one is personal & the second, the gift is for a message to the Body of Christ. Quite different purposes there.

Everyone can speak in a heavenly language but only some are given the gift of tongues- message for the Body. (1 Cor. 12: 7 - 11)

`Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels...` (1 Cor. 13: 1)

`I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all.` (1 Cor. 14: 18)

regards, Marilyn. 

4 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi warrior,

I think the confusion comes when we think that speaking in tongues as an initial sign of the infilling/baptism in the Holy Spirit gets mixed up with one of the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit. The first one is personal & the second, the gift is for a message to the Body of Christ. Quite different purposes there.

Everyone can speak in a heavenly language but only some are given the gift of tongues- message for the Body.

regards, Marilyn. 

Thanks Marilyn for  your input to my wondering.   Well how does one get that infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit on their own.  Does it occur with prayer and fasting or does it occur automatically and you just know you have that gift ?.   I was baptized in a Pentecostal church and before that i attended the church for more than a year and i witnessed how the tongue movement took place there.  Let me just say, it is real spiritual force that is at work .  When i came out the pool, i sat with the others, there was lots of speaking in tongues, rolling and i know the people was  genuine and could not put on an act like that, just don't know if it was the real Holy Spirit though, as i did not speak in tongues ..  I asked the Lord in prayer ,as i was a bit unsure about this and i said Lord if this is for me, here i am , so i guess it was not for me.   Just a little insight about my experience .     

As a side note here.  I have been in many,many spiritual battles and I know what wicked spirits can do and they are master counterfeiter, as they first try to entice and seduce, when that fails, then warfare.   Let me say too, i am not painting anyone as having false convictions.  Every man has to be true to his walk and answer for his words and testimony and this is just mine.   Also, if the Bible says the gift has not ceased, then who am i to contradict.