• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1967

40 minutes ago, SisterActs2 said:

For myself, in the scripture above (Mark 16:17-18).  However, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.  So, why wouldn't He (by the power of the Holy Spirit) give me the same gift He gave those at Pentecost?  I believe I have the same gifts from God as those in Acts 2, hence my name.

In order to use Mark 16 as a support passage it seems the other signs would be common today as well...but we don't see that happening today. We see some phonies trying to take people's money via fake miracles...but where are the genuine sign gifts?

Also, the tongues mentioned in Acts 2 (foretold in Mark 16) allowed people from all around the region to understand the Disciples' word in his/her own language. I don't put God in a box saying He never gives this gift to missionaries at times or whatever...but it is certainly not something done on a regular basis as a sign to unbelievers.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

3 hours ago, D-Dawn said:

Does anyone have Scripture to support their private prayer language? Acts 2 certainly doesn't describe anything like this. 

The Scripture that supports this (though probably doesn't prove it) is I Corinthians 14:18,19, where Paul writes:

"I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue."

If he spoke in tongues more than the Corinthians, he must have done an awful lot of tongue-speaking. But if that was rarely or never in a church meeting, then presumably it was in his private devotions.

8 hours ago, hmbld said:

Thanks.  I've only been around people who claim tongues, but no interpretation is given.  I've read the arguments that tongues have ceased, yet I'm not convinced.  Neither am I convinced that I ought to pray for this gift.  Someone prayed over me to receive it, and it was like my mouth was glued shut.  Unbelief?  lack of faith?  Or just for some people, not all?

It's only given to some people, not to all. We can ask (God likes us to ask for good gifts, after all!), but we can't dictate to the Holy Spirit how He will manifest Himself in our lives. This is why I'm very suspicious of those who claim they can 'teach' someone how to speak in tongues, or prophesy. There's no 'technique' to it. Either we are given the gift, or we aren't.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The greatest caution I have against todays proclamation of this gift of tongues is that it excludes the objective examination of Scripture and rest wholly in the subjective experience of the believer... this being a fact of self evident truth I draw this conclusion: Why would God set forth an objective source -written Word- and say this about it

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

and then bring about a gift that supports an entirely subjective -experiential- verification that it is from Him?
I say it doesn't add up in reasoning, which God expects us to do with Him in Scripture, and tends to weigh in on a fleshy level than s/Spiritual one...
Love, Steven 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

The Scripture that supports this (though probably doesn't prove it) is I Corinthians 14:18,19, where Paul writes:

"I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue."

If he spoke in tongues more than the Corinthians, he must have done an awful lot of tongue-speaking. But if that was rarely or never in a church meeting, then presumably it was in his private devotions.

Deborah,

is it possible paul meant that he speaks in "different languages" when he said he speaks in many tongues?  He did travel all over to people speaking different languages. 

16 minutes ago, Spock said:

Deborah,

is it possible paul meant that he speaks in "different languages" when he said he speaks in many tongues?  He did travel all over to people speaking different languages. 

But in a cosmopolitan world,  speaking different languages (as a result of learning them) was nothing unusual - a bit like India today, where most people speak two or three languages as a matter of course. And this is in the midst of a long passage dealing with supernatural gifts of the Spirit - including tongues (I Corinthians 12:28) - so I think it's unlikely that Paul is suddenly talking about an ordinary everyday skill.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9

I see there are two seperate works of God one reavealed in acts  then the two actually compaired by Paul. I give witness to both. 

I was proclaiming the salvation of God through Christ and a man from China who speaks very little english asked me afterwards how I learned Chinese? I told him i did not know any. He was in tears. He had heard the message in perfect Chinese and the Lord filled his heart with great Joy when he believed. That is the greater gift of interpretation Paul tells us to seek, the witness to non believers. Then there is the gift of heavenly language we "do not understand" when the Holy Spirit makes intersession. I see people ad english or their own laungage and understanding with this gift. I do not believe its revealing prophecy or mysteries of God. I believe its adding our prayers and our proclamations to the intercession of the angels and the Spirit.

I also think many false doctrins and many false spirits  and the will of people are given voice by the teaching that mysteries are revealed by interpretation of the tounges we ourself do not understand. 

Edited by Reinitin

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,129
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

15 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Thanks Marilyn for  your input to my wondering.   Well how does one get that infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit on their own.  Does it occur with prayer and fasting or does it occur automatically and you just know you have that gift ?.   I was baptized in a Pentecostal church and before that i attended the church for more than a year and i witnessed how the tongue movement took place there.  Let me just say, it is real spiritual force that is at work .  When i came out the pool, i sat with the others, there was lots of speaking in tongues, rolling and i know the people was  genuine and could not put on an act like that, just don't know if it was the real Holy Spirit though, as i did not speak in tongues ..  I asked the Lord in prayer ,as i was a bit unsure about this and i said Lord if this is for me, here i am , so i guess it was not for me.   Just a little insight about my experience .     

As a side note here.  I have been in many,many spiritual battles and I know what wicked spirits can do and they are master counterfeiter, as they first try to entice and seduce, when that fails, then warfare.   Let me say too, i am not painting anyone as having false convictions.  Every man has to be true to his walk and answer for his words and testimony and this is just mine.   Also, if the Bible says the gift has not ceased, then who am i to contradict.

Hi Wayne.

Glad you are so careful. Today`s Pentecostal churches are not the same as they were. Most have been exposed to the wrong `laying on of hands.` This shows with strange manifestations that are not of the Holy Spirit & how He works. These spirits influence a person subtly & over time get control of their thinking. People think they are obeying the Holy Spirit but in fact they are in control of an evil spirit. You have probably seen Andrew Strom`s video (on utube) talking & showing how these spirits have come into the church. Also Jessie Penn Lewis wrote a book `War on the Saints` which reveals how these spirits effect people.

Now as to desiring to speak in tongues, really that is the `cart before the horse.` We always desire to know more of the Lord & so we ask Him for an infilling of His Holy Spirit, & that can be done privately. You may need to seek the Lord over a period of time for this infilling. Then a manifestation of the Holy Spirit`s infilling is the speaking with other tongues.

The other `speaking with tongues,` called the gift of tongues, is for edifying the Body of Christ in a group situation. That gift is only given as needed to the body.

`...the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.` (1 Cor. 12: 11) 

Marilyn.  

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

15 hours ago, D-Dawn said:

In order to use Mark 16 as a support passage it seems the other signs would be common today as well...but we don't see that happening today. We see some phonies trying to take people's money via fake miracles...but where are the genuine sign gifts?

Also, the tongues mentioned in Acts 2 (foretold in Mark 16) allowed people from all around the region to understand the Disciples' word in his/her own language. I don't put God in a box saying He never gives this gift to missionaries at times or whatever...but it is certainly not something done on a regular basis as a sign to unbelievers.

Hence the tongue speaker's language schools for mission...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, enoob57 said:

The greatest caution I have against todays proclamation of this gift of tongues is that it excludes the objective examination of Scripture and rest wholly in the subjective experience of the believer... this being a fact of self evident truth I draw this conclusion: Why would God set forth an objective source -written Word- and say this about it

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

and then bring about a gift that supports an entirely subjective -experiential- verification that it is from Him?
I say it doesn't add up in reasoning, which God expects us to do with Him in Scripture, and tends to weigh in on a fleshy level than s/Spiritual one...
Love, Steven 

Jesus did not speak in tongues did He?