• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

3 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Absolutely.  When we see how the gift of tongues is practiced across the board in churches it is very rarely done according to scripture, with interpretation ect.  In private that is another matter and it is between a man and his maker .   Much more to be said about this, but it will be repetitive just using different words, so i leave this topic here and pray that the Lord will enlighten his children in their walk as to his offerings.

I agree as there seems to be no more discipleship in our churches today.  Not many are taught how to properly apply scripture and gifts.  There is also no accountability when it comes to the gifts either.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Hi again Warrior12,

Send me a personal email requesting my testimony about how I was baptised in the Holy Spirit if you would like.  One of the results of this was that I began praying in tongues.  I, too, am leaving this thread as I can't add to what I have said already; however you may want further clarification on why I believe it is from the Lord.  Blessings to all.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

The reason there is confusion regarding "tongues" is because most people that talk about this subject, including most teachers, and including most ministers, do not understand what they are trying to explain, and thus, they are confused, and this confusion then continues .......... by being SPREAD by the confused.
After all, if the teacher is in the dark, then how great is the darkness for their students?
So, just understand one simple distinction regarding this subject  .....and you'll be instantly freed  from any previous confusion you might have had regarding this subject that was caused by the confused person who confused you:)
Simple..
1st.) There is  the "gift of speaking a foreign language",(Tongues)  ( that you are able to SPEAK > SUPERNATURALLY SO THAT those who are not of your common language can understand your message.
This is the "gift" of a  "tongue",....or the God given gift of being able to speak in a "TONGUE" (foreign language) that you have not learned. = THAT is the GIFT of TONGUES...or the miraculous ability to speak in a foreign language that you have never learned, studied, ect. ......  = This gift is for the purpose of helping the HEARER, and that is defined in Acts 2 as..."we HEARD THEM SPEAK in OUR OWN LANGUAGE".. or in another scripture it says...."they spoke with OTHER Tongues"...or "in other languages"........see it?
SO THEN, that is pretty simple to understand....isnt it?.....So where and how does the deep confusion come into play?   Well, its created by  anyone ,whomever, who tries to associate AS the SAME = THE "Gift of a speaking a foreign language"..(Tongues),  with a personal prayer language....

2nd) And there is a personal prayer language, that the bible, NT< defines as "groanings that cannot be uttered"......and in another place Paul describes it as being "edifying" to YOURSELF......and so, this is a personal thing  that is between you and GOD and CHRIST and the Holy Spirit, and is NOT a FOREIGN language GIFT speaking Ability .
This is what the Charismatic -Pentecostal teaching calls  "speaking in tongues"........but this is a cloudy way to describe a "prayer language", as when you use the word "Tongues", and are not careful to distinguish the "gift of a foreign language" that Peter was exhibiting in Act 2, with the occasional "infilling of the Holy Spirit" experience of speaking in a "prayer language"....... then that is exactly where the confusion starts and continues for so many.

As you see, these are 2 different situations....... One is a "Spiritual Gift" (one of the 9) , that is an supernatural  ability that God gives to some to speak a foreign language (Peter in Acts 2) so that the FOREIGN HEARER can understand the message in THEIR LANGUAGE that YOU HAVE NOT LEARNED if you are the one with this gift.   And this is not the same as a personal prayer language that one would "utter" to God in private or often within certain churches ,  that is mainly only a benefit to THEMSELVES.
So, keep those 2 situations separate....the "gift" from the "personal prayer language"....regarding  your theological understanding and you will be one of the very few who actually understands what you are talking about, if you were to discuss this topic.

But then there is the main thing....and the main thing is that this entire topic and the pursuit of it, is an extremely unimportant thing, and for many its a rabbit trail and they are lost in it.
It just isn't important.   What is important to you as a believer, is that you understand that you are going to meet Jesus The Christ, and He is going to ask you "what have you done for me", while knowing perfectly and completely what you have done or haven't during your lifetime.   And if the only thing you can say is....." i was a faithful church goer, and i spoke in a prayer language"....then .....
So, im  showing you.....there are things that truly matter to God, like witnessing, and soul winning and discipling, and giving to the poor, and being available to HELP,  and living a Holy Life, and being theologically doctrinally sound.....  and these truly matter to your Judgement Seat of Christ appointment, whereas this subject of "tongues" and the pursuit of it, is negligible.

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Because it is not Biblically practiced the whole point of whether or not tongues are for today is moot... disobedience is just that and to further oneself comes a Biblical warning

Ephesians 5:6-11 (KJV)

[6] Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

[7] Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

[8] For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

[9] (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

[10] Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

[11] And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Tongue speakers if in public arena and you are practicing with no interpretation you are reproved by God

1 Corinthians 14:26-28 (KJV)

[26] How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

[27] If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be  by two, or at the most by  three, and that  by course; and let one interpret.

[28] But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Love,  Steven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/15/2017 at 10:43 PM, hmbld said:

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers. (I Cor. 14:22a)

If tongues are for today, what would be God's purpose?  Scripture points out there should be an interpreter if tongues are spoken, yet in my limited experience around those who believe speaking tongues today, I have yet to hear someone interpret.  

Is this something some pray for and desire?  

The modern tongues movement is something which attempted to be untestable and uncorrectable, ideal for the modern church of today.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/15/2017 at 11:43 PM, hmbld said:

1 Cor 14:39  So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

Agreed, don't forbid genuine languages. But what if a person is faking it by babbling as happens in most cases? Ought we not to rebuke that abuse?

2 hours ago, Badjao33 said:

Actually it can be very important when it comes to witnessing to others.

I'm also sorry if this came across as a rant, but this is just one example of why the issue of tongues can't be dismissed as a minor issue. 

-

Well, i appreciate what you said...however, if you cant speak German, and you are invited to speak to a German only speaking congregation and there are no interpreters present, then yes, having the "gift of being able to speak a Foreign "tongues" (Peter in Acts 2) , is quite important........but otherwise, how many here are going to be trying to lead someone to Christ in the USA who does not speak your language?

So the "gift of Tongues"...is typical of everything that God does, in that its given based on need and necessity and not just for the benefit of those who are chronic seekers of  " spiritual gifts".

So, do you see my point? If so, let me make a few more to consider...

Also, i didnt "dismiss" the gift of tongues or having a prayer language as "minor issues"......I instead stated clearly that worrying about these 2 situations....pursuing them, or feeling that you are somehow not quite up to speed as a Christian if you are not praying in a prayer language as some type of "evidence of the infilling"....Is a waste of your time, is a waste of your Church's time, and a waste of time in general.... When instead you could be better serving your fellow man and your Holy God by studying Pauline Theology within your New Testament or learning how to effectively lead an Atheist to receive Jesus as their Savior..... etc.

And.......Just as an open ended question that is not directed at anyone here specifically..... = To anyone here who is captivated by "the infilling of the Spirit", and "the evidence of Speaking in tongues"........... Let me ask you if you have any neighbors who are living on your street who you can not say for certain go to church, or are saved?..... But this is ok?   Its ok to have neighbors on both sides of you who are going to go to hell like a bullet if they died today while you are more concerned with the "evidence of speaking in tongues" and arguing about it without a clue on a Christian Forum?   ..   Really?

Listen Saints...... the final proof that we have moved from the diaper-bottle stage of Christianity and into the (useful to God) stage, is proven by what we are most concerned about in our theology and in our personal lives.  And let me tell you this.....the most Carnal New Testament Church in the NT, was the Corinthian church......... as it was the ONLY NT church that was worried about "spiritual gifts" and "leadership positions"....and YET was the church that didnt even know they had the Holy Spirit in them, and is the only NT listed church that had a born again young man in it who was sleeping with his Father's Wife.   So, this is a "baby Christian" church, and babies are always worried about GIFTS, and never are they worried about SERVICE......so, keep that in mind, as it can be very enlightening..  if you are wondering about yourself and your church and what you are all doing THERE.

See, there are things that matter in the Body of Christ, that will matter to you when you hit the Judgment seat and meet Yeshua, but spending a lot of time concerned about the "evidence of the infilling" and wasting time with those who worry about this way too much, is NOT what you are going to be happy to discuss with Yeshua when you meet Him.

Fact.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

On 5/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, Guest said:

Are there any cases anywhere of validated tongues being spoken that were verified languages? Never heard of a single case. As far as the Holy Spirit giving people gifts of healing, yes I believe that is true, but tongues no, and raising people when they've been clearly dead for a while, like Lazarus, no. Those things only happened during Christ's time when the HS actually descended on the apostles and disciples. If you can find a valid case where this happened with a link I'll believe it. 

There is a study done where a doctor ran a catscan on people praying in tongues and verified that it doesn't come from the place in our brain we speak out of, you can find it on youtube pretty easily.

As far as Raising the dead, praying in tongues etc. There are many people who have experienced that I'm sure there is doctor verified evidence for that I just haven't done the research. I know Reignhard Bonnke, Heidi Baker, and many other ministers have experienced that especially in regards to missions.

I do know that Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever

1 hour ago, Joshua-777 said:

There is a study done where a doctor ran a catscan on people praying in tongues

-

Peter was not "Praying in tongues" in Acts 2....He was speaking in foreign languages (many) that he had never learned = the GIFT of being able to speak a foreign language you have not learned  = The GIFT of "tongues"..."tongues" is a bible word for "foreign languages", when its referring to this "spiritual gift".

A prayer language.....that is what you are referring to.....and is not the "gift of tongues", that Peter was exhibiting.

A Prayer language is a personal communion that is edifying to you, and the NT in one place says its "groanings that cant be uttered".

So, dont confuse the two.

They are not the same.

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

So, dont confuse the two.

They are not the same.

Lest we not forget the tongues spoken for edification or prophesying that requires another with the gift of interpretation......these are indeed all different