• Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

20 hours ago, enoob57 said:

How do you know it is from God Marilyn?

Hi enoob,

Haven`t talked with you for a while. So `how do I know it is from God?` Well as scripture says - `you will know them by their fruit.` When I received the infilling of the Holy Spirit with praising the Lord in tongues, I have been drawn more and more to the Lord, and have been convicted daily, and with the Holy Spirit`s guidance being made like unto Christ. Thus I believe the Holy Spirit `s infilling to me (back in the early `60s in the highlands of NZ) is to me of the Holy Spirit.

If it was NOT of the Holy Spirit, (which much is nowadays) then the fruit would be drawn to idolatry, religiousity, worldly interests and activities.

Hope that explains what I believe, Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Beware, beware.

If you claim to speak in tongues and nobody can understand what you are saying then you're NOT speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues may be a gift from God, but understanding tongues is for everybody, believer and non-believer alike. The reason for being given the gift of tongues is so that you can speak to everyone, regardless of what language they speak and they will be able to understand you.

When the apostles travelled around preaching the gospel, they visited many different nations and each nation spoke a different language, so they would not have been able to understand what the apostles were saying. This is why God gave the apostles the gift of tongues.

Cretes, and Arabians: we heard them speak in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.

Acts 2:11

The above verse means that everybody there understood what was preached. They heard it in their own language, so the Cretans heard it in Greek and the Arabs heard it in Arabic.

Anybody can make a claim that they have the gift of tongues and speak any old gibberish, but if it sounds like gibberish, that's exactly what it is - gibberish!

God does not give anybody special gifts to be used in private. Any gift from God such as prophecy for example, is meant to serve God's purpose and that is to teach others. Tongues is NOT a special language that you use to speak with God during your intimate time with him. God does not need a special language to communicate with, he understands all languages.

Bear in mind when you read the Bible the word 'tongue' can also mean 'language' and this is where confusion lies. For example:

And to another the operations of great works: and to another, prophecy: and to another, the discerning of spirits: and to another, diversities of tongues: and to another, the interpretation of tongues.

1st Corinthians 12:28

Why would there be a 'diversity' of tongues if this verse is not referring to language? If 'tongues' is meant to be a language from God then why are there different ones? In this case diversity of tongues means different languages (English, French, Aramaic etc.) and is not referring to the language called 'tongues' that is a specific miraculous language and a gift from God.

Anybody who claims to speak tongues is being deceived, unless the language they speak is universally comprehensible. Anybody who speaks gibberish that sounds incomprehensible to others, may have a gift of some sort but it doesn't come from God. Anybody who sits alone in the dark praying in tongues, believing they have some special gift is being deceived by malevolent spirits.

I'm not even convinced that anybody has the gift of tongues today - we don't need it. We have interpreters, translators and if its on TV we have subtitles. Besides, English is fairly universal anyway.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi enoob,

Haven`t talked with you for a while. So `how do I know it is from God?` Well as scripture says - `you will know them by their fruit.` When I received the infilling of the Holy Spirit with praising the Lord in tongues, I have been drawn more and more to the Lord, and have been convicted daily, and with the Holy Spirit`s guidance being made like unto Christ. Thus I believe the Holy Spirit `s infilling to me (back in the early `60s in the highlands of NZ) is to me of the Holy Spirit.

If it was NOT of the Holy Spirit, (which much is nowadays) then the fruit would be drawn to idolatry, religiousity, worldly interests and activities.

Hope that explains what I believe, Marilyn.

thanks!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

On 6/27/2017 at 3:12 AM, OakWood said:

Beware, beware.

If you claim to speak in tongues and nobody can understand what you are saying then you're NOT speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues may be a gift from God, but understanding tongues is for everybody, believer and non-believer alike. The reason for being given the gift of tongues is so that you can speak to everyone, regardless of what language they speak and they will be able to understand you.

When the apostles travelled around preaching the gospel, they visited many different nations and each nation spoke a different language, so they would not have been able to understand what the apostles were saying. This is why God gave the apostles the gift of tongues.

Actually Greek was the common language because of Rome, there was one common language that was spoken through out the land, which is the just about all of where the apostles ministered. They didn't need tongues for communication. Paul makes pretty clear the purpose of the gift of tongues, and there is a reason why interpretation of tongues is a gift of the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:13-17
Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

On 27/06/2017 at 10:12 PM, OakWood said:

Beware, beware.

Cretes, and Arabians: we heard them speak in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.

Acts 2:11

The above verse means that everybody there understood what was preached. They heard it in their own language, so the Cretans heard it in Greek and the Arabs heard it in Arabic.

Anybody can make a claim that they have the gift of tongues and speak any old gibberish, but if it sounds like gibberish, that's exactly what it is - gibberish!

God does not give anybody special gifts to be used in private. Any gift from God such as prophecy for example, is meant to serve God's purpose and that is to teach others. Tongues is NOT a special language that you use to speak with God during your intimate time with him. God does not need a special language to communicate with, he understands all languages.

Bear in mind when you read the Bible the word 'tongue' can also mean 'language' and this is where confusion lies. For example:

And to another the operations of great works: and to another, prophecy: and to another, the discerning of spirits: and to another, diversities of tongues: and to another, the interpretation of tongues.

1st Corinthians 12:28

Why would there be a 'diversity' of tongues if this verse is not referring to language? If 'tongues' is meant to be a language from God then why are there different ones? In this case diversity of tongues means different languages (English, French, Aramaic etc.) and is not referring to the language called 'tongues' that is a specific miraculous language and a gift from God.

Anybody who claims to speak tongues is being deceived, unless the language they speak is universally comprehensible. Anybody who speaks gibberish that sounds incomprehensible to others, may have a gift of some sort but it doesn't come from God. Anybody who sits alone in the dark praying in tongues, believing they have some special gift is being deceived by malevolent spirits.

I'm not even convinced that anybody has the gift of tongues today - we don't need it. We have interpreters, translators and if its on TV we have subtitles. Besides, English is fairly universal anyway.

Amen!

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

On 16/04/2017 at 9:43 AM, hmbld said:

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers. (I Cor. 14:22a)

Ahh, you hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

Its a sign for WHOM? 

UNBELIEVERS.

IE: you give them the gospel in THEIR language that they and you KNOW you DONT know.