• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Willa said:

But one of my favorite movies is "Soul Surfer" which is about a girl whose arm was bit off by a shark while she was surfing, but how God gave her the ability to overcome and become a professional surfer.  It is based on a true story.  

I Love that movie. I just re-watched it last week.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

5 hours ago, Spock said:

Okay, but be careful here if you compare any activity with doing something for God.  Is playing golf a waste of time? Or bowling?  Or playing cards with friends?  

Anything good can be taken to a point where it can become a problem. Or an idol. Its a matter of striking a balance, and sometimes that's not all that easy. Example: I'm not going to tell anyone they can't watch TV if they're a believer. That's not my call. Speaking strictly for myself, the Lord worked things in my life in such a way that I realized I'm too easily drawn into the whole TV thing, movies, sports, all of that. So, the best thing for me at the time was to stay away from it. I've found that I can watch a program here and there in the years since, and it doesn't "take over" the way it used to. I guess the best way to describe it is that it doesn't have power over me any more, and that is because of what the Spirit has done to change me. It's nothing I've done.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

I really enjoy the real estate shows, but not too much "flippin houses".  It gets a bit much, like when I go to Op Shops too often.  I get a bit bored with it after a while.  My fave shows are "Gardening Australia" as I love gardening..... Escape to the Country (when I view that English countryside I dream of heaven).....Restoration Man (George Clark) etc.  I have stopped watching that amazing BBC drama.  I like mystery and intrigue, but there's too much stuff that's not uplifting.  My husband likes his Rugby (a long time ago he was a Kiwi).  It's our way of resting our weary bones.  He's in for a partial or total knee replacement soon.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

with hindsight i realise that the tv has not been something that i like much and then after college i got into it. i started to junk watch to ease the loneliness and got pulled into the need to video stuff so that i could watch it later in a bid not to have an empty night.

i got rid of the tv 7 years ago now and i dont miss it. however i have swapped one vice for another ta da the internet is the new tv. i am careful what i watch, read and listen to. when i started to be like this when i still had the tv the choice fell away to about half a dozen things that were suitable and then that further reduced hence the riddance of the tv

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

HE IS RISEN!

I don't like the stuff with bad language or a lot of sex and explicit violence or torture.  In fact I put child limits on my set so I won't turn a show on in the middle not realizing it was for mature audience or something.  The only thing I got hooked on in the 60s and had to quit was soap operas. When I found myself praying for the characters it was time to quit!  

I always cheer for the Kiwis when they play because often they are the underdog, but not so much when its an origin game.  And because long ago my next door neighbor was from New Zealand, and Mauri at that.  My neighbor used to complain because her mother would send her cactus smuggled between fine woolen clothing for gifts.  Then she had to remove all the spines from her clothes.  lol. fond memories.   

9 hours ago, SisterActs2 said:

I really enjoy the real estate shows, but not too much "flippin houses".  It gets a bit much, like when I go to Op Shops too often.  I get a bit bored with it after a while.  My fave shows are "Gardening Australia" as I love gardening..... Escape to the Country (when I view that English countryside I dream of heaven).....Restoration Man (George Clark) etc.  I have stopped watching that amazing BBC drama.  I like mystery and intrigue, but there's too much stuff that's not uplifting.  My husband likes his Rugby (a long time ago he was a Kiwi).  It's our way of resting our weary bones.  He's in for a partial or total knee replacement soon.

The real estate shows about Alaska and the Yukon are fun. 

I had a total knee replacement about 4 years ago and it is really marvelous.  Tell him to be sure to do all the exercises afterwards to speed the healing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

16 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I watch the show the walking dead. Does anyone feel this is wrong or sinful ? I seen every season. It's the only show I do watch as to me TV takes away from being with the Lord thanks.

The question is, is it wrong or sinful to you?

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Someone else's theology (meaning in this instance, how a Christian should live) cannot work for you. 

You must work out your own theology.

The Apostle Paul used the word "salvation" but the point is clear.

Philippians 2:12 (NASB95)
12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

1 Corinthians 10:23–33 (NASB95)
23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.
25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake;
26 for the earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains.
27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake.
28 But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake;
29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience?
30 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God;
33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved.

1 Corinthians 8 (NASB95)
1 Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.
2 If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;
3 but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.
4 Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one.
5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,
6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.
7 However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
8 But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.
9 But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
10 For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol’s temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
11 For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
12 And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
13 Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

Hence the fear and trembling part.

You are not your own you were bought with a price.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Hi Wayne222 and Willa

To Wayne - I have never watched the WalkingDead, so can't comment.  Don't know the content, but, judging from the name, it is probably not something I would watch.  Personal preference only!

To Willa - lol re the cactus story.  With our customs department on the lookout for all things foreign (thank goodness) I don't know if the lady would get away with it now.  Thank you for the helpful thoughts on post knee surgery exercises.  I read them out to him.  I also cheer for the underdog.

I am finding that, with the amount of Australians getting on board with the LGBT lobby, campaigning for "gay" (not same gender, which is the correct term) marriage in Oz, there is more and more acceptance of homosexuality and lesbianism on TV.  It is being promoted on a grand scale now, with the result that I am turning off more and more.

Added to this, I have to keep changing the volume depending upon which channel I am on. Also, the amount of repeated content, the amount of ads (our recorder does not work), the boring content etc., the repetition of news, the absolutely inane shows etc., means I give up and go to bed!  (After Escape to the Country of course!)

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

3 hours ago, SisterActs2 said:

Hi Wayne222 and Willa

To Wayne - I have never watched the WalkingDead, so can't comment.  Don't know the content, but, judging from the name, it is probably not something I would watch.  Personal preference only!

To Willa - lol re the cactus story.  With our customs department on the lookout for all things foreign (thank goodness) I don't know if the lady would get away with it now.  Thank you for the helpful thoughts on post knee surgery exercises.  I read them out to him.  I also cheer for the underdog.

I am finding that, with the amount of Australians getting on board with the LGBT lobby, campaigning for "gay" (not same gender, which is the correct term) marriage in Oz, there is more and more acceptance of homosexuality and lesbianism on TV.  It is being promoted on a grand scale now, with the result that I am turning off more and more.

Added to this, I have to keep changing the volume depending upon which channel I am on. Also, the amount of repeated content, the amount of ads (our recorder does not work), the boring content etc., the repetition of news, the absolutely inane shows etc., means I give up and go to bed!  (After Escape to the Country of course!)

Her mother in NZ sent them to her in USA, so our customs were missing them.  But that was in the 70s.  They are really on the look out for drugs now so they might not get into the states so easily. But it is a fond memory of her exasperation and grumbling as she had many containers of cactus around her drive way.  

When I was growing up we had neighbors that were Dutch, and their mom in Holland sent them tulip bulbs the same way, in packages of clothing.  But most tulips are grown in our state now and are distributed around the world, so chances are that they came from here to Holland and back again!  She did have magnificent tulip gardens.  

Oh dear.  I should have stayed on the derailing thread.:b:

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 4/15/2017 at 10:16 PM, Spock said:

My wife and I just finished watching Hacksaw Ridge.  Wow! I am speechless after viewing that.  When I saw Mel Gibson directed it, it made sense then. 

Desmond Doss, what a brother in the Lord.  To pull 75 injured people out of harms way in the manner that he did was simply astounding.  The Lord was most definitely in that. It was great seeing a man of God, prayer, and a man who never left home without his Bible portrayed like on the big screen.  It reminded me of Chariots of Fire. 

One caveat if you are thinking of seeing it- the war scenes were almost too real, very hard to view, especially for the weak of heart, like me. 

I did see "Conscientious Objector" a few years ago.  Didn't get to see this yet, but heard great reviews like this were many.