• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/27/1965

I have struggled on and off with watching TV for many years. My wife and I agreed to literally throw away our TV early in our marriage. But when TV became available on disks and then via the internet we started watching it some again. Overall, I feel TV is a bad influence and most Christians would benefit from watching less of it.

A year ago, I wrote a blog post where I share my own experience and some thoughts on this topic.  You can see it here:  Should Christians Watch TV?

Here are two graphics from that blog post:

Should Christians watch.jpg

Should Christians watch TV 2.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/15/2017 at 6:30 PM, Wayne222 said:

I watch the show the walking dead. Does anyone feel this is wrong or sinful ? I seen every season. It's the only show I do watch as to me TV takes away from being with the Lord thanks.

Bottom line. We all know what we see on TV is more harmful than good. And very subtle.  When the kids were young about twenty five years ago, we threw the TV away for a few years. When I saw later was then shown on TV it freaked me out, how much it had changed. In just a few years, twenty five years ago! Small doses, over a long period. The agenda militants are as wise as a serpent. I admit I do watch a lot of junk, as it's a cheap entertainment. (I'm cheap) We try to be selective, but even with Netflix, and old black and whites,  it's getting hard. I remember a scripture, and thought it might also  refer to what we allow into our home, for us and our kids (or grand kids) to see, and listen to.

2Jn 1:9  Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, (even on TV?) neither bid him God speed:
2Jn 1:11  For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Mat_18:6  But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,016
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,292
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 4/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, Wayne222 said:

I watch the show the walking dead. Does anyone feel this is wrong or sinful ? I seen every season. It's the only show I do watch as to me TV takes away from being with the Lord thanks.

I also watch The Walking Dead.   I was flipping channels one day and happened across it.   I don't have cable so now get the more current seasons at our library.

The reason I like it is that it is not just zombies and gore....rather it is about some people who find each other, band together and like a concerned  family try to survive together in an apocalyptic world. 

I think watching the show is a matter of conscience....if it is against your conscience, then don't watch it.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

13 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Bottom line. We all know what we see on TV is more harmful than good. And very subtle.  When the kids were young about twenty five years ago, we threw the TV away for a few years. When I saw later was then shown on TV it freaked me out, how much it had changed. In just a few years, twenty five years ago! Small doses, over a long period. The agenda militants are as wise as a serpent. I admit I do watch a lot of junk, as it's a cheap entertainment. (I'm cheap) We try to be selective, but even with Netflix, and old black and whites,  it's getting hard. I remember a scripture, and thought it might also  refer to what we allow into our home, for us and our kids (or grand kids) to see, and listen to.

the media imo have from the very start been slowly eroding moral decency. no one seems to bat an eye about much if anything these days. i dread to think what children will turn out like being slowly programmed to accept immoral things. i see it in society and gee the radio has to be heard to believe the absolute filthy rags it is churning out as 'entertainment'

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

1 minute ago, existential mabel said:

the media imo have from the very start been slowly eroding moral decency. no one seems to bat an eye about much if anything these days. i dread to think what children will turn out like being slowly programmed to accept immoral things. i see it in society and gee the radio has to be heard to believe the absolute filthy rags it is churning out as 'entertainment'

I would not say "from the very start" as you claim.  I remember TV being a whole lot different.  Not sure how old you are, but in the 50's TV was a whole lot different.  Today it is somewhat of a cesspool.  I pick and chose very carefully what I watch.  Still, it is only a tool and how one uses the tool determines what they get from it.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

I don't watch the walking dead and mostly avoid all the Zombie junk

But I watched other programs like Criminal minds. I get pricks about it and I am now trying to stay away from things that would influence others. It is a bad witness. I won't watch shows that show nudity or ones the use the GD word I turn them off as soon as they do. I am offended by it no matter how much I want to see the show. Can a Christian ignore these things for the sake of entertainment. If I do I feel I have said these things myself. TV is a stronghold. The Lord has given me victory over many bad habits that were also strongholds.  Is it not a stronghold?

I try to watch more of the news programs like the love Trumps and the hate Trumps. personally they all are fake news. It's all so boring, but we must keep up today for the very reasons said in other posts on this site. I say strongly that we should not be politically minded, yet not ignorant either. Time is short and how will we be judged. It's time to examine our selves. time is short