Can you reconcile science and religion

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  423
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

What do people feel on this topic. Do we see a lack of scientific knowledge to bolster religious views? Can science be incorporated into religion? Can we refute the scientific in favour of religious ideas?

Edited by Kevinb
Typo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Welcome to Worthy!  Please start a thread in the welcome forum to gain the 3 posts you need to post elsewhere.  After you gain the posts, I will approve this thread.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Kevin

Always an interesting Topic for me as science helped to lead me to research deeper into Bible Study which lead me to  more historical research which lead me to more archeological research which lead me.....lol  

It all began  with a "measure of FAITH" which is a Gift of God......from having Faith my "seeing " was blurred & my hearing became dull.....the more my knowledge & intellect increased (science) the more I tried to refute the Word of God because many things seemed to no loner "make sense.....I found ,for me personally,that the opposite held true,as I REceived Wisdom & Understanding by Revelation from God I began to see that God well Knew before Science was even a thought in the minds of men....this comes from a RElationship with God in Christ,not from reasoning,academics or study......and yes,I think science can be incorporated .......

Are you a CHristian?   We do have a" Science & Faith" Forum for wonderful discussions on this  very Topic                                 With love-in CHrist,Kwik

Thank you so much for replying. I don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the site yet...just been skimming through a few menus and posts as I've had a busy few days.

I live in the UK was brought up in a relaxed kinda way as a Christian...if that makes sense? I guess life ticks on by with the day to day but I've recently been thinking about everything again after people knocking the door talking about God and religion. I didn't quite get what domination they were but the ideas have peeked my interest. I don't really have anyone to talk to about things so have been looking on line and found you guys. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Many classical scientists were Christian, and in fact pursued science because they believed the world created by the Christian God would be an ordered, sensible place with laws and truths that would reflect God's nature.

Edited by OneLight
Youtube links are not allowed. If the video is worth watching, please start a thread in the appropriate video forum for approval.

Hello Gary. Thank you so much for posting here. Can I add I'm sorry for your loss.

I guess I'm coming from a position of not having to refute so much evidence. I don't think you need to do this to believe in God. I posted an evolutionary answer on another thread..can you track it? Apologies I'm so new here still getting to grips with how the site works.

I think science only endeavours to find answers..there is no agenda to I feel to hold to any answer.  It will only add weight to an understanding or disprove it. If it finds peer reviewed evidence of an alternative substantiated it will simply adjust or add to an understanding and this will be the new science. This is the process that's led to so much progress in the last few hundred years. 

For me it doesn't help the argument to source unsubstantiated alternatives from a more literal understanding for example Adam and Eve rather than evolution. As stated one doesn't have to look for ways to refute bodies of evidence from those where views have already been asserted then to attempt to dispose of this overwhelming evidence. Scientific understanding works the opposite way. People are able to incorporate a scientific knowledge and believe in God still...no less than evolution now accepted by the Vatican..arch bishop's and so many church leaders and theologians. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

"Religion" cannot exist without Science.

Science cannot exist without "religion"

They are codependent on each other.

The reason "Religion" is in quotation marks, is because the focus ISNT about "religion", but the SPIRITUAL, that of the SPIRIT, and Jesus is a Spirit as well as being man as well as being God. Religion is manmade, Spirit is eternal.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On 4/18/2017 at 3:37 AM, Kevinb said:

What do people feel on this topic. Do we see a lack of scientific knowledge to bolster religious views? Can science be incorporated into religion? Can we refute the scientific in favour of religious ideas?

I don't have any problem incorporating Science and the Bible....     I might add that I do have a problem incorporating science and evolution....   but that's a long story that should be discussed for months over coffee and donut mornings.   actually, for me,  "M" string physics takes much of the mystery out of the Bible as to how things can happen.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, BK1110 said:

Many classical scientists were Christian, and in fact pursued science because they believed the world created by the Christian God would be an ordered, sensible place with laws and truths that would reflect God's nature.

You're absolutely right about that, BK.  Modern science has its epistemological roots in Christianity.  Herbert Butterfield, in his book entitled The Origin of Modern Science, lists the following as the three main assumptions of modern science:

• the universe (world) is orderly;
  • this orderly universe can be known; and
  • there is a motive to discover the order.

He elaborates, saying that only the Christian worldview has these three assumptions.  The Greek and Romans religious beliefs focused on fickle gods whose motives and actions couldn't be figured out.  Hinduism involved equally capricious gods in a never-ending cycle of life that was unpredictable.  Islam considered God to be unknowable and his universe equally so. 

Those interested can read more about that here:

http://www.leaderu.com/science/helweg.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 4/18/2017 at 3:37 AM, Kevinb said:

There is immense evidence for God, Jesus Christ, and the Bible in all fields of study. I think it is not so much that the science doesn't exist that verifies God, but that it is not sought out and that the prominent atheist scientists have a very specific agenda and that is to refute the existence of God. It has actually gotten to the point that these scientists have had to make up the existence of an infinite amount of unseeable and unknowable universes to disprove a unseeing BUT KNOWABLE God. I know God because of the relationship I have with Him; it is very clear on so many levels that I know the voice of God, it is clear it's not my voice in my voice for it's purity and tone of love is unmatched by any human voice, and it is also clear that this voice is all knowing. There is also very clear power in the name of Jesus. The healing miracles I've seen are extraordinary. I have seen more physically impossible things happen in front of my eyes than I could imagine. And it doesn't hurt that every field of study also proves God, Christ, and the Bible. I have created a playlist of some of these videos here if any would like to check it out:

Search "Proofs of God, Christ, and the Bible playlist" on YouTube, there there is a bunch of these studies complied, but there are a lot more than just these! In this playlist alone there is everything from proof of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ to proof of the virgin birth of Jesus Christ and much more!!! Enjoy! :D

God bless you all, in Jesus' mighty name!
-Daniel

Edited by Daniel_Quartararo
clarity