IGNORED

Music soothes the troubled mind/soul/spirit

I'm looking for verses where it is mentioned that music soothes the troubled mind/soul/spirit. We all know about David playing the harp for Saul in 1 Samuel 16. Can anyone else find any other? There are passages in the Psalms about praising Him with music, but I'm looking specifically for verses or passages pertaining to comfort through music.

Thanks! :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

It all depends on what kind of music. What are the lyrics?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, JesusGivesLifeMeaning said:

I'm looking for verses where it is mentioned that music soothes the troubled mind/soul/spirit. We all know about David playing the harp for Saul in 1 Samuel 16. Can anyone else find any other? There are passages in the Psalms about praising Him with music, but I'm looking specifically for verses or passages pertaining to comfort through music.

Thanks! :)

Well yes of course, the Song Of Songs.

The Lord Is My Shepherd

A Psalm of David ( 23rd Psalm ).

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

There are videos online; might listen to Dolly Parton speak it or Keith Green sing it.

There are 150 songs of comfort for the mind, body, and soul,  in the book of Psalms. The nation Israel sang them as they marched to the census taking by Rome.

To put flesh upon the thought, Mary and  Joseph would have sang those Psalms too as they marched. And if memory serves at all well the tribes were compelled to travel to attend three festivals as well, and the travelers would have joined in singing Psalms, presumably a comfort as they journeyed.

Our Lord Jesus would have in his time  journeyed and sang the Psalms too. What might He have sung at the Passover and the last supper? Might want to see Zola Levitt Presents -look for  Psalms and songs, Zola was a fine musician and also a composer of songs and musicals.

Anyway  just some thoughts and ideas for finding songs of comfort and references to them within the Bible-

Edited by Neighbor

43 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It all depends on what kind of music. What are the lyrics?

I should have explained myself clearer, my apologies. I'm not looking for songs/lyrics, but scripture references that mention music soothing a troubled situation, such as my example of David playing for Saul when he was under spiritual attack. 

Not "praise and worship" in song verses, rather verses pertaining to being uplifted by the sounds of music, or even dance...

Hi Yowm,

As an instrumentalist, I respectively disagree with your post, lol., as I'm sure many other instrumentalists would as well. I believe God will use any and all gifts to comfort, uplift or minister to a person. From my perspective, I would say that music and lyrics would be equally important...unless of course, you are Amish, lol.

17 minutes ago, JesusGivesLifeMeaning said:

I should have explained myself clearer, my apologies. I'm not looking for songs/lyrics, but scripture references that mention music soothing a troubled situation, such as my example of David playing for Saul when he was under spiritual attack. 

Not "praise and worship" in song verses, rather verses pertaining to being uplifted by the sounds of music, or even dance...

I think many Psalms are self referencing, in that they explain as part of the opening stanza the soothing purpose of the song already being sung within the introductory passage.

3 minutes ago, JesusGivesLifeMeaning said:

Hi Yowm,

As an instrumentalist, I respectively disagree with your post, lol., as I'm sure many other instrumentalists would as well. I believe God will use any and all gifts to comfort, uplift or minister to a person. From my perspective, I would say that music and lyrics would be equally important...unless of course, you are Amish, lol.

Or a member of the Church of Christ. Funny thing, the CoC group I associated with used a pitch pipe to get everyone started. I always got a bit of a kick out of that .

11 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Funny thing, the CoC group I associated with used a pitch pipe to get everyone started. I always got a bit of a kick out of that .

LOL...As a lifelong musician, I remember those days well...;)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

47 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Or a member of the Church of Christ. Funny thing, the CoC group I associated with used a pitch pipe to get everyone started. I always got a bit of a kick out of that .

Not all CoC churches are acapella, my church have a lot of people from a CofC background and we sing some hymns without instruments, but most we sing with a band. We don't claim to be a Church of Christ congregation but I know the Hills Church between Dallas and Fort Worth are CofC and are instrumental. The Church of Christ is such a broad movement that you can go into one church of Christ and it would be complacently different from another.