• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

6 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I have always been fascinated by the term "rouge nation".  just what makes on a "rogue nation"?   Seems that invading sovereign nations that are no threat to you,  interfering in the free elections of countries, sending missiles into countries that are no threat to you...all sound like the actions of a rogue nation. 

So, by your definition, who IS a rogue nation?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, MorningGlory said:

So, by your definition, who IS a rogue nation?

I think the term is ridiculous personally.  At this point "right" is determined by "might".   There is no moral high-ground left for any country today.  It is all all about nothing but who has the most power.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

Guest shiloh357
54 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I have always been fascinated by the term "rouge nation".  just what makes on a "rogue nation"?  

A rogue nation is a nation that doesn't see itself as being bound by international law, and/or poses an international threat or potential threat.   Iran, North Korea, Cuba Libya are examples of what are known as rogue nations

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

I think the term is ridiculous personally.  At this point "right" is determined by "might".   There is no moral high-ground left for any country today.  It is all all about nothing but who has the most power.

I'm not really sure there's a time in history where this hasn't applied though.

1 minute ago, Steve_S said:

I'm not really sure there's a time in history where this hasn't applied though.

I cannot argue about that.  I think in the past we used to try and take the moral high ground.  

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

Just now, Running Gator said:

I cannot argue about that.  I think in the past we used to try and take the moral high ground.  

Well, there have been times when the US was probably at least partially justified in doing so. Sitting here thinking off the top of my head, I can recall no nation that has attained power comparable to the US that hasn't went totally imperialist. Imagine if the US behaved like rome? This would be an entirely different conversation. While there is an argument as to whether or not the US is meddling or whether or not north korea is a valid threat - if the US were at all imperial minded, it would've likely used nuclear weapons on china when they entered the korean war and everything on probably the whole korean peninsula would be a vassal state or a province.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Way back in boot camp our DI said something that's stuck with me nearly fifty years later: "If someone says they want to kill you, believe them."

35 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

Well, there have been times when the US was probably at least partially justified in doing so. Sitting here thinking off the top of my head, I can recall no nation that has attained power comparable to the US that hasn't went totally imperialist. Imagine if the US behaved like rome? This would be an entirely different conversation. While there is an argument as to whether or not the US is meddling or whether or not north korea is a valid threat - if the US were at all imperial minded, it would've likely used nuclear weapons on china when they entered the korean war and everything on probably the whole korean peninsula would be a vassal state or a province.

I believe there was a time when it was a legit thing for our country to do.  Those days are long since gone.

You are right that we are not really imperialist, if we were Okinawa would be a great vacation spot!   lol

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

A rogue nation is a nation that doesn't see itself as being bound by international law, and/or poses an international threat or potential threat.   

Does the US not feel that it is not bound by  international law?  We invaded countries in violation of international law, we kill people with drones in violation of international law, we lob missiles and drop bombs in countries in violation of international law.  We have combat troops on the ground in Syria against that countries wishes, is that not in violation of international law.