• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

Did you miss us firing 59 missiles into a sovereign nation a week ago?  How is that false, or did it really not happen?

No, I didn't miss it; it was on t.v.  What is the point of the question?

2 hours ago, Running Gator said:

We invaded a sovereign nation that was no threat to us in the slightest.   You can call it whatever you like, but I can promise you if Russia decided to "liberate" us from our government you would have an issue with it.

We're not talking about Russia OR me.  We liberated Iraq and it's government ran away.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

23 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

We're not talking about Russia OR me.  We liberated Iraq and it's government ran away.

We did not liberate anyone, we invaded with a military force and took over the country, and we did so in defiance of international law.   That is the very definition of a rogue nation.  

27 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

No, I didn't miss it; it was on t.v.  What is the point of the question?

What international law gave us the right to do so?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

International law is really just something cooked up in the past century that allows powerful nations to tell other nations what to do. It's not really binding on anyone who has the strength to defy it. I don't really view it as any sort of thing to look at as far as what is going to happen or what is happening, insofar as nations will defy it if it suits them and they think that some other powerful nation will not attack them as an 'enforcement' of the law.

1 minute ago, Steve_S said:

International law is really just something cooked up in the past century that allows powerful nations to tell other nations what to do. It's not really binding on anyone who has the strength to defy it. I don't really view it as any sort of thing to look at as far as what is going to happen or what is happening, insofar as nations will defy it if it suits them and they think that some other powerful nation will not attack them as an 'enforcement' of the law.

Yet it was used in this thread to define what a rogue nation is, a nation that doesn't see itself as being bound by international law.  I found that definition lacking as the US fits that definition on a regular basis.  

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

23 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Yet it was used in this thread to define what a rogue nation is, a nation that doesn't see itself as being bound by international law.  I found that definition lacking as the US fits that definition on a regular basis.  

I think what really matters is how "rogue nation" is used in daily vernacular. It generally means a nation that is unwilling to adhere to the normatives that the international community believes it should adhere to. Whether or not this is right or fair is a different question. The international community in general does not want north korea to have nuclear weapons, so they are sanctioned and isolated as a result. In that way they fall into the category of rogue nation. The international community may also not wish for russia or the united states to have nuclear weapons, but are generally unwilling to attempt to totally isolate or sanction those two nations, probably primarily because those two nations have teeth. It's really all pretty relativistic at the end of the day. Russia pretty much invaded and annexed part of ukraine and basically got a wrist slap by the EU and US (the UN couldn't because of an what would have been an obvious veto by Russia itself lol). If North Korea attempted to invade and annex part of south korea it would result in a very violent, but probably quick, all out war, probably involving multiple nations who have no real national interests in anything to do with the korean peninsula.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

11 hours ago, worthy said:

This is starting to sound like Muammar Gaddafi before they bombed Libya. He went silent after they bombed his palace . . . stayed quiet too, for the most part. Just like most bullies who've gotten a bloody nose.

15 hours ago, Running Gator said:

We did not liberate anyone, we invaded with a military force and took over the country, and we did so in defiance of international law.   That is the very definition of a rogue nation.  

Not true; we liberated Iraq and then turned it over to it's people.  But it's interesting to see another American's low opinion of this country.  That's what happens when someone  believes  leftist propaganda though. 

15 hours ago, Running Gator said:

The law of 'my missiles are better than your missiles' apparently.  No civilians were killed; what your problem with taking out a murderous dictator's planes?  I think it's awesome.  All Americans should applaud giving Assad a black eye.