Lent

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

I honestly consider lent to be the most ridiculous time of the year.  People who normally care little for God rules  and will do things he for boss all of a sudden get so pious and stop doing something he didn't forbid (eating chicken) for 40 days while still sometines sinning. What's worse is lent isn't even a biblical precedent

FB_IMG_1492619366329.jpg

FB_IMG_1491343161876.jpg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Such is the difference between religion and a relationship with God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak."  

Do we do well  to find fault with those that  try to honor their creator by abstaining from consumption  of something, as part of their own discipline in worship and submission to Christ Jesus for a period of time, whether it be the abstaining from foods,   marital privilege for a time of prayer, or really anything at all ?  

Seems to me we are told by God very directly not to sin against Him by wounding the conscience of a brother or sister in Christ in such matters.

Though  I might have superior knowledge of my freedom in a matter, I should not cause my "weaker" brethren to stumble by challenging their sense of restriction. I will not eat in their presence that which they still find an offense- I will do that  for their sake and to honor my Lord- and in a sense that is a restrictive fast of my own.

Edited by Neighbor

As I think it through a bit more, I am struck that I could benefit from a period of higher awareness and  discipline in my own sanctification! It is nice for God to be doing all the work, but perhaps I could follow His lead in my life a  tiny bit better if I set aside a period for reflection upon what He wills for me.

A period of say 40 days might work out well.  It is not so short as to be lacking in seriousness of purpose, and not so long that this weak flesh may not possibly  attain the increase desired. That number of days also seems to have Biblical precedence. 

Perhaps if I pray about that, God will guide me into some forty day program of benefit to me in honoring His will for my life too. 

Hmmm, maybe this lent thing has some merit, 40 days plus or minus, not counting Sundays. Perhaps, and then also  I might find good purpose in having some sort of marker or reminder, maybe  fasting from some food item, just something to help keep me focused on the goal of being far more aware of my creator, and in even study of His Holiness that I may  in emulation at least be holier too.

For I am holy as He is Holy, should be  more of a reality than a slogan. Yet, I don't think  I am up to forty days in the desert like my Lord was. Hey! Could it be that the Lutheran Methodist, Presbyterian, Anglican, Roman, and Eastern  churches  have a little something going for them there?

Edited by Neighbor

Just for fun  please allow me this excerpt: ( It is from a catholic resource so we might want to read it with just one eye, but it is interesting, - to me anyway.

Biblical Background:

According to the Synoptic Gospels, Jesus spent "forty days" in the desert before beginning his public ministry (see Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2). Matthew's Gospel even specifies that it was "forty days and forty nights" (Matt 4:2). Whether or not this period of Jesus' life was precisely forty days is irrelevant theologically, since the number "forty" is highly symbolic in all biblical literature, representing "a long time," especially a time of trial or testing. Consider the following examples:

Forty Days:

• In the story of Noah and the Great Flood, it rains for "forty days and forty nights" (Gen 7:4, 12, 17; 8:6).
  • It takes a full forty days to embalm the body of Jacob, according to Egyptian practice (Gen 50:3).
  • Moses spends "forty days and forty nights" on Mount Sinai when receiving the Law from God (Exod 24:18; cf. Deut 9:9-25).
  • Moses spends another "forty days and forty nights" on the mountain, encountering God a second time (Exod 34:28; cf. Deut 10:10)
  • The Israelite spies scout out the Promised Land for forty days (Num 13:25, 34); but due to their lack of faith, God requires the Israelites to wander in the desert for forty years (see below).
  • The Philistine Goliath taunts the Israelite army for forty days before David fights him (1 Sam 17:16).
  • The prophet Elijah travels  forty days and forty nights to Mount Horeb to encounter God (1 Kings 19:8).
  • The prophet Ezekiel lies on his right side for forty days to symbolize the sins of the people of Judah (Ezek 4:6).
  • The prophet Jonah preaches in the Assyrian capital, "Forty days more, and Nineveh shall be overthrown" (Jonah 3:4).
  • After his resurrection, Jesus appears to his disciples for forty days, before ascending into heaven (Acts 1:3).

And then there is "Forty Years" too  http://catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/40-Days-Nights.htm 

Oh oh, I think I just wandered myself into doing yet another study of scripture numerics. Ah the rabbit trails, hope they lead to Gestalt. ( That great city on a hill of fact and application where all is conclusively proper and fitting) .

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Fasting is what scripture calls for, not lent.  Lent cannot be found in scripture as it is man made and a religious practice to make one good enough and acceptable to God.  Have you considered Isaiah 58?