IGNORED

'We're Becoming Second-Class Citizens': Huge Implications of Year's Biggest Religious Rights Case

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

'We're Becoming Second-Class Citizens': Huge Implications of Year's Biggest Religious Rights Case

When a church preschool was denied state funds for making its playground safer....

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017/april/were-becoming-second-class-citizens-huge-implications-of-years-biggest-religious-rights-case

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, nebula said:

When a church preschool was denied state funds for making its playground safer....

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017/april/were-becoming-second-class-citizens-huge-implications-of-years-biggest-religious-rights-case

At a time when Islamic schools are increasing and American Muslims are opting more and more to put their children into them, yes more than just this case alone makes this interesting.

I'm not so sure winning a case like this and having the government pay for these things isn't actually a case of losing. I know there is a bigger picture and many arguments about rights and blah blah blah but every where I turn there is a right fight. Can't the Christian school raise the funds to make a play ground safer, why tax payers ? It use to be local business owners and churches would build, fix, maintain playgrounds for the community, now we fight to make the government pay? Just seems like everything becomes a fight anymore and it is simply out of hand.

Law ends up cancelling law and we all lose. History of the world. Fight for the right and soon there are none.

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

8 hours ago, nebula said:

WB NEB!!

This will be very interesting.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Someone please show me the word seperation in the constitution.  It is not worded the way many believe it is

Guest shiloh357
10 minutes ago, Bill16652 said:

Someone please show me the word seperation in the constitution.  It is not worded the way many believe it is

Yes, separation of church and state is not in the constitution, and not even implied. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, Bill16652 said:

Is this any different than those people that go "show me the word "rapture" in the Bible", or some other such thing. 

So, while the word separation is not in the constitution, I think it is clear they did not want a marriage between religion and the government. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I remember an argument a few months ago about churches being sued for taking apart in political discussions because that right was tied to us being tax-free. I argued then that if tax-free means we can't lend our voices to the political struggle then that makes our tax-free status a chain around our necks and a muzzle over our mouths. I submitted then that we should give up the Tax-free status ti ensure that we weren't getting the benefit of that, while giving up something more sacred. The right to free speech.

Shouldn't this be another reason for giving up our tax free status?  If we want to be treated the same we need to be the same.

Edited by Churchmouse

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

35 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Is this any different than those people that go "show me the word "rapture" in the Bible", or some other such thing. 

So, while the word separation is not in the constitution, I think it is clear they did not want a marriage between religion and the government. 

They did not want a state religion that would deny other religions the right to exist.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

1 hour ago, Zemke said:

At a time when Islamic schools are increasing and American Muslims are opting more and more to put their children into them, yes more than just this case alone makes this interesting.

I'm not so sure winning a case like this and having the government pay for these things isn't actually a case of losing. I know there is a bigger picture and many arguments about rights and blah blah blah but every where I turn there is a right fight. Can't the Christian school raise the funds to make a play ground safer, why tax payers ? It use to be local business owners and churches would build, fix, maintain playgrounds for the community, now we fight to make the government pay? Just seems like everything becomes a fight anymore and it is simply out of hand.

Law ends up cancelling law and we all lose. History of the world. Fight for the right and soon there are none.

This is a tough case, but I think I'd come down on the side of the church NOT getting the government money.

One thing people forget is that with 'government money' comes 'government strings'.  Is the church in question here really ready to accept the government regulations that I'm sure will not just be limited to playgrounds?

History shows that The Church is more effective in its mission when it is no friend (or beneficiary) of government.

Blessings,

-Ed