• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

23 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Actually, the original Greek word, eidos, in I Thess. 5:22, includes what is actually evil and the appearance of what is evil.   Hence, the nuanced characteristic of biblical Greek.   It includes both evil deeds and anything that could be seen as evil.

So in the context of this discussion, we are to avoid not only adultery, but anything that could appear to be adulterous in nature, anything that puts questions in the minds of others as to our conduct.

Everything could possibly be seen as evil, yet only sex ever gets the attention of this passage.  Why is that?  Why is it never applied to the appearance of greed or gluttony or slothfulness?   Any why is is only ever applied by what the person thinks others might find to appear evil, and not what people tell them appears evil?

Guest shiloh357
6 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Everything could possibly be seen as evil, yet only sex ever gets the attention of this passage.  Why is that?  Why is it never applied to the appearance of greed or gluttony or slothfulness?   Any why is is only ever applied by what the person thinks others might find to appear evil, and not what people tell them appears evil?

Who said it is not applied to any other context? 

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Who said it is not applied to any other context? 

I do as I have never seen it applied to any other context with the exception of someone drinking a beer. 

Where are the thread about it being wrong to drive an expensive car because it might give someone the appearance of greed?  

Why are their no threads by people talking about choosing to stay skinny so as to not give the appearance of gluttony or slothfulness? 

11 minutes ago, Davida said:

So you're asking people who are NOT Christians , taking a survey of those who are not followers of Jesus, who do not have the Holy Spirit to convict them if the Bible scripture is valid?  that says a lot right there. 

It also says a lot that you assume my entire office is filled with non-Christians.

But I did not ask them if the verse was valid, I asked them how they would feel if someone told them "I cannot ride with you to that school as someone might think we are having an affair if they saw us in the car alone together".  

I am not questioning the validity of the passage, I question the application of it by fallible humans. 

6 minutes ago, Davida said:

Oh pahleeze where do you think the rest of us work?  In the world. I would not ask my business associates to take a vote on the meaning or validity of scripture. Do what you want Gator but don't try to twist the meaning of scripture or invalidate it by deeming it archaic by group consensus.  The Bible will never fit by world standards.

So, there are no other Christians where the rest of you work?

8 minutes ago, Davida said:

If I have a scripture question or what a discussion I go to my Pastor or bring it up during Bible Study with those who have studied scripture & have Bible knowledge. I go to those who have been given authority by GOD to teach & shepherd.

I didn't have a scripture question, I asked for the reaction to a particular set of events.  

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

I do as I have never seen it applied to any other context with the exception of someone drinking a beer. 

Where are the thread about it being wrong to drive an expensive car because it might give someone the appearance of greed?  

Why are their no threads by people talking about choosing to stay skinny so as to not give the appearance of gluttony or slothfulness? 

Well, I go to church and so I am not out of the loop, and hear it applied to those issues when that Scripture is brought up.

Guest shiloh357
39 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

It also says a lot that you assume my entire office is filled with non-Christians.

But I did not ask them if the verse was valid, I asked them how they would feel if someone told them "I cannot ride with you to that school as someone might think we are having an affair if they saw us in the car alone together".  

I am not questioning the validity of the passage, I question the application of it by fallible humans. 

Well, there are "Christians"  and there are Christians.

9 minutes ago, Davida said:

The only reason you asked the question was because of this OP and the disagreement you got, and the application of the scripture " abstain from the appearance of evil".

Yes, I have a problem with the application of the scripture, not with the scripture itself.   

18 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Well, I go to church and so I am not out of the loop, and hear it applied to those issues when that Scripture is brought up.

i was "in the loop" when you were in diapers, so I know what is taught and what is not.