arphaxad

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I respect the Christian decisions and morals and values  you are making in your life and in your marriage and to your wife. I do not think that Satan likes it and he may let you know that. I also think you will get a lot of negative feedback from our world regarding the decisions that you have made. You are making the right choices in the eyes of God.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, arphaxad said:

I work in a common office cubicle environment. There are more women than men, and most of our leadership teams reflect that. I manage a small team under the supervision of a female director. When I was first promoted to be her team manager I told her I would prefer to not meet outside the office alone with her. When traveling to outside meetings, we travel separately unless a third person is with us. I explained it has nothing to do with her, but it is my standard to make sure no one ever has a reason to question my relationship with her.

I carry this same philosophy into my personal life. I've been married to the same women for over 20 years. Not once have I met with another women alone in a private environment. I have not been tempted to have an affair, but I've also not wanted to give anyone, especially my wife, a reason to question my relationship with her.

Am I over reacting? Do I go too far?

What I wonder is, why would someone meet privately with a member of the opposite sex when it could cause someone to question their action? Why risk your husband or wife to waver in their trust for you? Or, should the spouse just blindly trust them no matter what?

I'm fully willing to agree I'm over cautious and that my standard is too much for most people. I'm reaching out to you, my Christian family, for God's wisdom in this matter. I pray to God for guidance and will continue to seek His glory in all I do.

I admire and respect your respect and Christian character as reflects your own covenant with our Lord. And the commitment you have to your wife as well.

You may remember our Vice President Pence has this same philosophy in his own relationship with his Christian faith and his beloved wife. VP Pence said he would not dine alone with a woman not his wife. He wouldn't give those prone to gossip mongering the opportunity to assault his character , his faith, or his commitment to his wife.

VP Pence was assailed in the MSM by those who could not comprehend such a thing. Some even went so far to report it as sexist. Are we surprised? Respect for one's wife is sexist.

I respect and admire your commitments. Be not persuaded by those who are not brother. Let those who have the ears to hear, the eyes to read, and the heart committed to our Lord and Savior remain constant in their faith and righteous resolve to deny the world. And hold fast to righteousness. A rare thing in these times brother. As you will learn as the years go by.

Guest shiloh357
21 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

That is it ok for a male to eat a meal alone or drive in a car alone with a male but not a female.   One standard for a woman, one for man.  Classic double standard.

No, that is not a "classic" double standard. :rolleyes:  It's called being wise. 

A double standard is a moral principle that is applied unevenly.   A double standard would be that it is wrong for a married man to be alone with a woman who is not his wife, but it is okay for a married woman to be alone with a man who is not her husband.   So, this not a double standard, not by a longshot.

Guest shiloh357
15 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

We are known by the company we keep and the people we support.  If you support someone of low moral standards then you open yourself up to the appearance that you approve of those low moral standards.  Seems much worse than eating lunch with a co-worker. 

I don't keep company with Donald Trump and I don't support any of his immoral decisions or actoins.    I don't support Trump unconditionally.  So supporting Trump isn't giving the appearance evil. 

Can't say the same for supporting the legalization of prostitution.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I don't keep company with Donald Trump and I don't support any of his immoral decisions or actoins.    I don't support Trump unconditionally.  So supporting Trump isn't giving the appearance evil. 

I do not cheat on my wife. I do not support anyone else cheating on their spouses.  So, eating a meal with a woman not my wife isn't giving the appearance of evil. 

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I do not cheat on my wife. I do not support anyone else cheating on their spouses.  So, eating a meal with a woman not my wife isn't giving the appearance of evil. 

Supporting Trump isn't supporting his immoral actions.   Otherwise, supporting any elected official would amount to supporting every immoral thing they have ever done. 

Supporting a politician for what you think he can do for the country isn't giving the appearance of evil.   Eating alone with someone who is not one's spouse, if one or both are married, is compromising with Scriptural standards of holiness.

55 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Supporting Trump isn't supporting his immoral actions.   Otherwise, supporting any elected official would amount to supporting every immoral thing they have ever done. 

Supporting a politician for what you think he can do for the country isn't giving the appearance of evil.   Eating alone with someone who is not one's spouse, if one or both are married, is compromising with Scriptural standards of holiness.

And after this nice long discussion, we are back to what is "the appearance of evil" is basically nothing more than a personal opinion based upon a person's biases and what they have been taught.   You have zero scriptural support for the idea that having lunch with a woman other than your spouse is against the biblical standards of holiness. 

1 hour ago, Willa said:

Often pastors ask that another female be in the room when counseling women.  Sometimes they don't shut the door if one is not present.  We don't always know what the other persons' temptations might be.  Most men are clueless to women's wiles, but a wife can spot them immediately.  Things like a little flattery can start things going the wrong way.  Men with impure motives do the same thing.  

Setting the "boundaries" at the beginning is smart.  We are to be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves.  You are keeping everything professional and not allowing office friendship to become personal.  

Some businesses don't emphasize such things as professionalism anymore.  It is sad.  We call them ethics.  

I think you will find that more and more companies are doing away with any "one on one" type of counseling between Supervisors and their subordinates.  Now there is almost always a 3rd person in the room irregardless of the genders of the people involved.   I know at my agency it is required that there is a 3rd person (at a minimum) whenever a supervisor speaks with a subordinate in an office behind closed doors.   There is no exception for people of the same gender. 

Professionalism is removing gender stereotypes and the archaic idea that men and women cannot coexist without sex being involved. 

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Running Gator said:

And after this nice long discussion, we are back to what is "the appearance of evil" is basically nothing more than a personal opinion based upon a person's biases and what they have been taught.   You have zero scriptural support for the idea that having lunch with a woman other than your spouse is against the biblical standards of holiness. 

No, it is not a matter of opinion. Avoiding the very appearance of evil is a practical application of holiness.  Avoiding the appearance of having an affair is a practical application of the commandment to be holy.  We are to guard God's word and our testimony from being defiled.  Holiness doesn't have a sliding scale.  It is something we are called to, not something we can define on our own terms.   If holiness matters, it matters all of the time, in the big things and the small things, and if there is something that could compromise it, we should set up a guard to keep that from happening, rather than make excuses about why we thought it was okay to thumb our nose God and do what we want.  

One of the problems with modern Christianity is that we define it by the culture.   We are often more or less as "holy" as those around us.  We measure by what is or is not acceptable in the culture, not by what is acceptable to God, or worse yet we project on to God what we think is acceptable or not.

Guest shiloh357
19 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I think you will find that more and more companies are doing away with any "one on one" type of counseling between Supervisors and their subordinates.  Now there is almost always a 3rd person in the room irregardless of the genders of the people involved.   I know at my agency it is required that there is a 3rd person (at a minimum) whenever a supervisor speaks with a subordinate in an office behind closed doors.   There is no exception for people of the same gender. 

Professionalism is removing gender stereotypes and the archaic idea that men and women cannot coexist without sex being involved. 

So why is it sexist and treating people as second class to have a third person in a restaurant?