Annette

samson and delilah;
They Did Not Know... It Was of the Lord

8 posts in this topic

:rofl:   Samson seems to have a love/hate relationship with the Philistines; loving them :emot-heartbeat:(or the beautiful woman) and killing them too!:noidea:

There was no love lost between Samson and the Philistines, as a people. How awful it must have been to have his eyes taken out, to be betrayed and to know that the Lord's had left him.:broken_heart:It doesn't come as a shock to me, that he was betrayed because prior to him telling Delilah the truth, she tried all other tricks to control him.:fryingpan:

What stood out to me, was early on, when Samson found a Philistine woman that he liked, he would not listen to reason.:sneaking:And then there is a verse that I stood out to me. Judges 14:4 "But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the LORD..."

Do you think that today God still allows us to get into situations because He has plans for us in those situations? 

I believe that GOD uses the foibles of humans to accomplish HIS purposes. I don't believe that GOD causes bad things to happen to people; that is what Satan and his minions do. But, through HIS perfect foreknowledge, GOD uses that bad for good.

God doesn't allow you to get into ANY unsavory situation. His word is the way. Anything other than the best in life, is merely a deviation from God's word.

Just because God's word is freedom, doesn't mean mankind listens to God's word. Samson was trying to win the love of the Phillistine Delilah. Phillistines were a tribe against God. Wouldn't work. Same logic applies to animal sacrifices and adherence to the Levitical Law given by Moses.

To answer your question: No, God doesn't allow ANY grievous situations, especially since he sent Jesus to die for our sins. WE bring our own misery upon us. The word frees us.

GOD does allow people to get into unsavory situations. It's called "consequences." HE allowed Job to be destroyed by Satan to prove his faith. HE allowed it because of Job's self-righteousness. Scripture is full of examples of GOD allowing humans to enter unsavory situations. But HE uses those situations to increase their faith or to accomplish HIS purposes.

God can not live with sin and evil. God loves us. God gives us consequences for the sinful choices that we make because He is a loving Father.

16 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

I believe that GOD uses the foibles of humans to accomplish HIS purposes. I don't believe that GOD causes bad things to happen to people; that is what Satan and his minions do. But, through HIS perfect foreknowledge, GOD uses that bad for good.

I know that God can use the bad for good. And I am so glad that He does.

14 hours ago, Sight said:

God doesn't allow you to get into ANY unsavory situation. His word is the way. Anything other than the best in life, is merely a deviation from God's word.

Just because God's word is freedom, doesn't mean mankind listens to God's word. Samson was trying to win the love of the Phillistine Delilah. Phillistines were a tribe against God. Wouldn't work. Same logic applies to animal sacrifices and adherence to the Levitical Law given by Moses.

To answer your question: No, God doesn't allow ANY grievous situations, especially since he sent Jesus to die for our sins. WE bring our own misery upon us. The word frees us.

I like what you said about God's Word being the way; and it being up to us to choose to obey it. 

Blessings 

13 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

GOD does allow people to get into unsavory situations. It's called "consequences." HE allowed Job to be destroyed by Satan to prove his faith. HE allowed it because of Job's self-righteousness. Scripture is full of examples of GOD allowing humans to enter unsavory situations. But HE uses those situations to increase their faith or to accomplish HIS purposes.

Romans 8 vs 28 right? 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

Blessings