• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I will not ride alone with a woman, nor should a woman invite shame upon herself and me by doing so. It is not a small thing, but instead an extremely important thing to be very wary as a witness for Christ Jesus. The enemy attempts deceit at all times, even taking joy in mocking the saints, - even for their awareness of his snares. 

What is shameful about two co-workers going someplace in a car on a business related matter?  Why is that shameful?   It can only be shameful if you believe that a man and a woman cannot coexist without having sex. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

What is shameful about two co-workers going someplace in a car on a business related matter?  Why is that shameful?   It can only be shameful if you believe that a man and a woman cannot coexist without having sex. 

Not at all. That is an absolute straw man being setting up.

No wise man allows himself to be ensnared.  An ensnared man will protest;  and me thinks He may protest too much*,  to  paraphrase from the Bard.

From other posts on this thread I think some others wonder too; why this insistent protest against being cautious, cautious as the Lord has forewarned? 

It seems to me not to be a good cause to be pursuing with such vigor. Perhaps in the face of objections, examples, and warnings by others, a reconsideration of one's thinking may be profitable. 

To share once again; I am sure David would have said at the time, what harm may come of this, a little observation, a little titillation, a meeting,  a little tweeking of emotions, what harm?

PLUS: the reality of appearances are often what they seem to be. So, don't give out the impression in the first place, less the impression ensnares and flourishes to reality. 

*From a summary at WIKI; "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" is a quotation from the c. 1600 play Hamlet by William ShakespeareIt has been used as a figure of speech, in various phrasings, to describe someone's overly frequent and vehement attempts to convince others of some matter of which the opposite is true, thereby making themselves appear defensive and insincere.In rhetorical terms, the phrase can be thought of as indicating an unintentional apophasis—where the speaker who "protests too much" in favor of some assertion puts into others' minds the idea that the assertion is false....

Edited by Neighbor

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

What needs to pointed out is that this had nothing to do with the other thread and its OP.   This not about, for exampe,  two EMTs, one male and one female riding together in the same ambulance.

This is about a man and a woman alone together in restaurant, or some other similar kind of setting, where both are married but not to each other, and are not related to  each other.    We are not talking about a bank manager and her male supervisor driving across town to another local branch.

What you're doing is changing the parameters of the debate to avoid the actual argument or issue that was raised.

2 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Not at all. That is an absolute straw man being setting up.

No wise man allows himself to be ensnared.  An ensnared man will protest;  and me thinks He may protest too much*,  to  paraphrase from the Bard.

From other posts on this thread I think some others wonder too; why this insistent protest against being cautious, cautious as the Lord has forewarned? 

I am expressing my opinion, this is an opinion forum after all.  Nobody has any issue with people expressing their opinion when it agrees with the group think, but when there is a different voice, then all of a sudden it is a problem.  People do not like to have their views challenged, so they make up these scenarios where the one doing the challenge must be bad and is doing things they should not.   If I think a man and woman can coexist without jumping in the sack then that must mean I am guilty of adultery.  

So, let me ask you.  Why does this passage only ever get applied to sex?   Have you ever told someone that you think it is wrong for them to drive an expensive car because it might give someone the appearance of greed?  

Why are their no threads by people talking about choosing to stay skinny so as to not give the appearance of gluttony or slothfulness? 

7 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

What needs to pointed out is that this had nothing to do with the other thread and its OP.   This not about, for exampe,  two EMTs, one male and one female riding together in the same ambulance.

This is about a man and a woman alone together in restaurant, or some other similar kind of setting, where both are married but not to each other, and are not related to  each other.    We are not talking about a bank manager and her male supervisor driving across town to another local branch.

What you're doing is changing the parameters of the debate to avoid the actual argument or issue that was raised.

Actually,that is what the OP was about, because  that would be travelling together. 

(from the OP of the other thread.... When traveling to outside meetings, we travel separately unless a third person is with us.)

And that very much seems to be the position of Neighbor, based upon this statement...I will not ride alone with a woman, nor should a woman invite shame upon herself and me by doing so. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

I cannot help but to appear evil in this Day.... I am White and Male in America!

Therefore, I MUST BE a Racist, a Misogynous Pig, and an Arrogant Colonialist forcing my way of Western thinking and Government on the rest of the World!

I cannot force people to give up their unfounded ignorance. Those that go too far in trying to appease the Feminists, Race Baiters, and American Haters, explains mush as to why most men in American Churches today wimp around by their wives apron strings, passively cowering to Feminism and letting women run the Church, and substituting Christianity with Social Justice for minorities and homosexuals; calling these things... "Christianity." 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The standard for the world is different from the standard for the servants of the Lord Jesus. We are indeed in the world, but we are not  a part of it. And so if we stand out or seem to stand off- there is good reason. No wise man will ever want to risk his reputation, nor that of any woman, for the sake of sharing a lunch, a dinner, or any  social or work related occasion. 

The  throwing about one straw man then another, all of the same breed, whose goal  is an attempt to encourage others to abandon the wisdom they have learned, changes nothing.  And, it  is no longer  sharing opinion. It is  taking a step far beyond that, a challenging of others that are guarded in their behaviors,  making them a target for repeated ridicule. May bring some short term satisfaction, to someone that may  not hold to the standard themself, but to what long term  end? Where is the glory to God to be found in that?

It is far better to accept and honor the stance of a man that has wisdom to avoid being alone with a woman other than the one given Him by God as  his helpmate. Appearances that do not honor God can and should be avoided, strictly avoided. It is unprofitable to try to justify engaging in them.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, Jeff2 said:

I cannot help but to appear evil in this Day.... I am White and Male in America!

Therefore, I MUST BE a Racist, a Misogynous Pig, and an Arrogant Colonialist forcing my way of Western thinking and Government on the rest of the World!

I cannot force people to give up their unfounded ignorance. Those that go too far in trying to appease the Feminists, Race Baiters, and American Haters, explains mush as to why most men in American Churches today wimp around by their wives apron strings, passively cowering to Feminism and letting women run the Church, and substituting Christianity with Social Justice for minorities and homosexuals; calling these things... "Christianity." 

Is this truth , reasoning or ranting.    Whew, must have touched one of those nerves :blink:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, warrior12 said:

Is this truth , reasoning or ranting.    Whew, must have touched one of those nerves :blink:

All of the above! I really do not know how to please the World View but by blowing my brains out!

Avoiding the "appearance of evil" is something that is an "attempt," for I cannot dictate others prejudices and ignorance. I will not compromise by trying to please their insanity. I am just saying that I do not believe that God intends for the Christian to adjust to the World's View, as is running rampant in Churches today. I am not here to appease Modern Culture and its definition of "evil," but what God calls evil. 

I am just saying that the World uses concepts like this to destroy the Church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The standard for the world is different from the standard for the servants of the Lord Jesus. We are indeed in the world, but we are not  a part of it. And so if we stand out or seem to stand off- there is good reason. No wise man will ever want to risk his reputation, nor that of any woman, for the sake of sharing a lunch, a dinner, or any  social or work related occasion. 

The  throwing about one straw man then another, all of the same breed, whose goal  is an attempt to encourage others to abandon the wisdom they have learned, changes nothing.  And, it  is no longer  sharing opinion. It is  taking a step far beyond that. Challenging others that are guarded in their behaviors,  making them a target for repeated ridicule. May bring some short term satisfaction, but to what long term  end?

It is far better to accept and honor the stance of a man that has wisdom to avoid being alone with a woman other than the one given Him by God as  his helpmate. Appearances that do not honor God can and should be avoided, strictly avoided. It is unprofitable to try to justify engaging in them.

Your honor and obedience is to foremost God who looks down at all creation.  If you are righteous before his sight, the world with all their gaze and suspicion is of no importance to the man who knows he is upright.   You made a vow to honor and respect your wife in matrimony and your spouse cannot be at your side every hour of the day.   Integrity is not at a first glance, but, men who are interested in your behavior, should make it a duty to observe with diligence over time, in fact this is how science usually comes to a definite conclusion of a law in the realm it studies.    Being alone with a woman is not a sin and should not be looked upon as a stigma.  Though many men has fallen to temptation, the  Christian abides by the word he has determine to follow as outlined in the Holy Bible.  Yes, we are of the flesh and still vulnerable to sin and its stings, but sometimes your mantle has to be tested to see if it of any worth, meaning your integrity would be tested by the enemy, like the man JOB.