• Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

9 hours ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

For instance, there is a falsehood promoted in the world that claims the Orthodox Christian church does not believe in “Scripture alone, faith alone, grace alone, and Christ alone”.

There is a favorite go-to information site for many a Christian known as, "Got Questions". Their entry concerning Orthodox Christianity makes the claim the Orthodox church does not hold to those tenets.

Read closely. No Christian holds to those tenets of isolation. Because they are contradictory and would then make the truth of God and Christ conflicting for the irrationality demonstrated in a simple word with four traits affirmed by and within our faith. "Alone". 

Alone=1.Isolated and lonely. 2.)Indicating that something is confined to the specified subject or recipient

Grace alone.
Grace, by itself?

No, there must be faith alone. So it is said. Right? But faith isn't alone, all by itself. isolated,  because there is Scripture.

Scripture alone?

Without grace, and faith?

No, grace and faith are requisite for the believer in God and Jesus Christ. Oh, well then there's scripture alone. Scripture all by itself?
From whence was scripture born? Through the giving of God and his divine inspiration that spoke to what amounts to over 40 different authors of his holy word. Scripture all by itself?

Alone?

Christ alone? Isolated. By himself? See John 3:16.

Or is it a collaboration instead? That which works first by the grace of God the Father to deliver then His Son Jesus? So that his ministry, purpose, death, burial, resurrection, would deliver the message of redemption. Made possible by God' grace first. So that hearing of Jesus, through the oral tradition in the beginning as was the case when Jesus walked, we would then be blessed to read of it with the invention of the printing press that gave God's truth to the world.

God's scriptures, God's breath. Alone? All by itself?

Or did it have a beginning ? How about, Grace, Christ, Faith, Scripture together? That bring us to the light of the world. So that we who are born into a world of sin are not left to die alone without hope. 

:sherlock:

But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us! Romans 5:8 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Faith

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10 (English Standard Version)

And God's Word

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias said, Lord, who has believed our report? So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:16-17 (American King James Version)

Are Now Tenets Of Isolation?

For Moses writes that the law’s way of making a person right with God requires obedience to all of its commands. 6But faith’s way of getting right with God says, “Don’t say in your heart, ‘Who will go up to heaven?’ (to bring Christ down to earth). And don’t say, ‘Who will go down to the place of the dead?’ (to bring Christ back to life again).” In fact, it says,

“The message is very close at hand; it is on your lips and in your heart.” And that message is the very message about faith that we preach:

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.” Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him.

For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:5-13 (New Living Translation)

And Dear Brother, Clearly We ALL Should Know Better

God spoke all these words, saying, "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Do not have other gods before me.

"Do not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Exodus 20:1-4 (New Heart English Bible)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

13 hours ago, Yowm said:

Exactly, here is an archived article from 1998 showing what CRI used to hold about the Eastern Orthodox Church...

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20151016194027/www.equip.org/article/the-eastern-orthodox-church

I hold to my understanding of the gospel which is,Christ crucified on the cross by the romans. Given over by God himself . Put in the tomb for three days. Raise by God the Father. Ascended into heaven to sit on the right hand of the Father .Coming back to judge the living and the dead. Whereby we are justified from all sin through faith. By his grace or favor unearned. Blessed is the man who sins are forgiven. I am done with this topic. 

Guest shiloh357
9 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

At one time there was only the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church. No protestant church at all. It shows you who for the last of two thousands years was the body of christ. 

There was no official protestant church, but there were Christians who held to Scripture and were not part of either the EOC or the RCC, but rather were persecuted and tortured for holding to Scripture.   To say that the ONLY Christians belonged to those two groups is historically false.  The RCC, in particular, brutally murdered those that did not adhere to their teachings.   The RCC and EOC as institutions were never part of the true Body of Christ.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

At one time there was only the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church. No protestant church at all. It shows you who for the last of two thousands years was the body of christ. 

and they turned the Truth of the Christ into Paganism. What once was a pure gospel turned into pagan rituals brought by former believers in  roman gods that felt it was easier to worship by sight not by faith. Many found fortune and civil prosperity in the word of God and perverted it for their benefit. So no the RCC was not the church as the disciples brought it, but man made ritual and pagan action. not until the Word of God (bible) was allowed to be spread, thoroughly and completely did people learn the truth of God and salvation, that was once perverted for mans benefit by the roman catholic church. So they aren't the church let alone the first church. The church is the body of Christ that worships in spirit and in truth not in pagan ritual!    

We are saved by the sacrifice and obedience of our savior Jesus Christ, whom died a sinners death for us, so we can rise with him to a new life justified and made worthy. We were bought by Jesus blood, and saved with acceptance of that free gift. Not by tradition, ritual, or personal accomplishment.

Be blessed and see the truth of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, WholeyGod'schild said:

and they turned the Truth of the Christ into Paganism. What once was a pure gospel turned into pagan rituals brought by former believers in  roman gods that felt it was easier to worship by sight not by faith. Many found fortune and civil prosperity in the word of God and perverted it for their benefit. So no the RCC was not the church as the disciples brought it, but man made ritual and pagan action. not until the Word of God (bible) was allowed to be spread, thoroughly and completely did people learn the truth of God and salvation, that was once perverted for mans benefit by the roman catholic church. So they aren't the church let alone the first church. The church is the body of Christ that worships in spirit and in truth not in pagan ritual!    

We are saved by the sacrifice and obedience of our savior Jesus Christ, whom died a sinners death for us, so we can rise with him to a new life justified and made worthy. We were bought by Jesus blood, and saved with acceptance of that free gift. Not by tradition, ritual, or personal accomplishment.

Be blessed and see the truth of God.

Amen, brother......or sister!  

Anyone who has read my postings knows I am not a big fan of Constantine and the result of that Council of Nicaea in the 4th century. Was it an improvement over what we had?  I don't think so, and for my evidence, I show you the Dark Ages. I guess to each his/her own.  That is just one of my questions I will ask God when I see Him soon. 

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

There was no official protestant church, but there were Christians who held to Scripture and were not part of either the EOC or the RCC, but rather were persecuted and tortured for holding to Scripture.   To say that the ONLY Christians belonged to those two groups is historically false.  The RCC, in particular, brutally murdered those that did not adhere to their teachings.   The RCC and EOC as institutions were never part of the true Body of Christ.

I don't get how Wayne could use this as evidence to support his position that the RCC and EOC have to be Gods holy blessed church. SMH

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

17 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Sorry, but that is simply not true.

It is true. The simple fact is that repeated examples of terminal animus for what is lacking in actual knowledge vacates any proffered opinion as other than what it is.  Pride, ego, unapologetic transgression against the principles of Christ and Philisitinism.

17 hours ago, Yowm said:

The E.O. Version.

Hey, when the EO and Rome reconcile maybe us 'prots' will begin to listen to your rhetoric.

Demonstrable refusal to obtain education from educated rhetoric to this point vacates that projection.

13 hours ago, Yowm said:

I'm not sure why we are talking Gospel when the EO does not preach (evangelize) the Gospel to my knowledge...they basically baptize babies for converts and sheep steal adults from other groups.

Prevarication.

12 hours ago, Yowm said:

I hate all teachings that run contrary to Scripture and failing the Gospel and leading people into religion rather than a living relationship. I feel sorry for those snared in such a system.

To date the evidence afforded these forums by numerous resources linked in the many threads teaching the truth about Orthodox Christianity, those do insure that intellectually dishonest remark has no relevance to Orthodox Christians nor Orthodox Christianity whatsoever.

12 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I ask why do you think Orthodox Christians don't have a relationship with the trinity?  I think many do. I have been going to other sites and reading Orthodox writings on the gospel. I don't find that to be the case.

What a blessing that you've sought out the facts concerning Orthodox Christianity. I too have done so and I believe anyone who wishes to educate themselves on those who are fellow sisters and brothers in the faith owe it to themselves to do the same. If that became a standard for those in Christ more people would be able to righteously identify the detraction that sets out after the most ancient of denominations revering our Lord and God the Father.

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Fine that's just a part, try holding to the point that Scripture trumps Church tradition and see how far you get in the EO.

How far did it get you?

Edited by JoshuasonFlower

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

23 hours ago, Yowm said:

Exactly, here is an archived article from 1998 showing what CRI used to hold about the Eastern Orthodox Church...

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20151016194027/www.equip.org/article/the-eastern-orthodox-church

I would recommend to the Christian members here that if interested, please do take the time to actually read the rather long article linked above. I do believe by the time you have concluded expending that amount of time you will realize the comment about the link contents does not correspond to the content of the material linked.

Hey Joshua,

lets keep this simple between you and me.  

First, I am not your judge so you won't hear me make this personal. And I don't believe anyone here is judging your soul either.  We all just care about false messages going out to the masses. 

secondly, my interest on this thread is discussing church doctrines. Who are doing it right and who aren't?  

Thirdly, having come from a RCC upbringing and now knowing had I not been born again (mid 20s) I was heading straight to Hell, I am very concerned about churches with false doctrines or burden their flock with man made traditions that hinder the pure simple message of the gospel.

Basically, I have two major concerns:

1. the concern with EOC i may have is simply, do they add conditions (man's works or efforts)  such as baptism, as a requirement for justification? Or is it simply, nope, you are completely justified by trusting in Christ's atonement at Calvary. Christ took my sins on the cross with him and I receive his gift of eternal life. (Good works AFFIRM ones true faith.) 

2. and my second concern is that sola scripture is not a doctrine, thus allowing man's tradition to influence or even confuse the truth. 

I hope you can understand why some of us here are concerned about these two points. Some think our motivation comes from hate, but that is the furthest thing from the truth. It's because we care and like God, we don't desire any to perish.  

I would examine doctrine with scripture with any religion, not just EOC. 

Cheers,

spock

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

It is true. The simple fact is that repeated examples of terminal animus for what is lacking in actual knowledge vacates any proffered opinion as other than what it is.  Pride, ego, unapologetic transgression against the principles of Christ and Philisitinism.

No, I have already quoted from EO websites their opposition to imputed righteousness and penal subtitutionary atonement.