• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

A lot of Christians don't want the whole word or they change the meaning of James. Not by faith only. The only means not alone in this case. They don't understand we are also saved from bondage to sin and unrighteousness.  So we can do good works. We are forgiven and also freed from this body of sin and death. Resulting in holiness and fruit until everlasting life.

I agree with you. I've heard the shortening of that passage of scripture used on occasion. Typically in conversations wherein the OSAS argument is underway. Justification by faith alone isn't Biblical. Just as James imparts in total in that passage.

17 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Calvin believe baptism saves.

No, that was a misrepresentation of John Calvin's teachings. While he believed in infant baptism also, he did not teach that baptism saves.

The question clarified in the first paragraph of the article linked below.

Question: [TBC's] statement that John Calvin taught that Infant Baptism saves betrays a regrettable ...

April 1, 2006

Guest shiloh357
14 hours ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

I agree with you. I've heard the shortening of that passage of scripture used on occasion. Typically in conversations wherein the OSAS argument is underway. Justification by faith alone isn't Biblical. Just as James imparts in total in that passage.

No, James wasn't talking about justification before God.   Justification before God is by faith alone.   What James was talking about was how our works justify our profession of faith.   We are justified before men when our works and our faith agree.   The book of James is not an evangelistic book  and does not contain any information about how we obtain salvation.   James and Paul use justification in different ways, in different contexts, to address two completely different issues.

Either a person is justified before God by faith alone, or they are not saved.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

On 4/24/2017 at 7:35 AM, JoshuasonFlower said:

They all honor Jesus brother. The basic principles Jesus taught concerning Salvation are the foundation principles in the Orthodox church.

This resource was posted long ago in these discussions concerning the practice in the Orthodox Christian church.

so all their members are saved?

4 minutes ago, a tryer said:

so all their members are saved?

What does God's word tell us?

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. " Mark 16:16

What indeed.

Romans 2:1-29Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God's righteous judgment will be revealed.

3 minutes ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

What does God's word tell us?

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. " Mark 16:16

What indeed.

Romans 2:1-29Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God's righteous judgment will be revealed.

recall the older of prodigal son

14 minutes ago, a tryer said:

recall the older of prodigal son

I do. How would you say that applies to the particulars of this thread discussion brother?

12 minutes ago, Davida said:

I think that particular scripture is teaching about being a hypocrite- "you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself"

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Davida said:

That means baptized with the Holy Spirit btw. Not a water baptism.

I am aware. Thank you sister.

19 minutes ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

How would you say that applies to the particulars of this thread discussion brother?

I replied to your comment

58 minutes ago, a tryer said:

I replied to your comment

Yes, I saw that. The older brother of the prodigal son was not happy with his return to their fathers land. Nor that his father had welcomed the younger brother, prodigal, with open arms and a celebration.

That's why I was wondering how that story applies to what we're discussing here.

1 minute ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

Yes, I saw that. The older brother of the prodigal son was not happy with his return to their fathers land. Nor that his father had welcomed the younger brother, prodigal, with open arms and a celebration.

That's why I was wondering how that story applies to what we're discussing here.

perfectly applies. you need to reflect bro, on why older son was "saved"