Writers block. Need help

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

I'm currently  writing a play on the power of prayer. In it several people are trappped in a  basemenr during a home invasion.  To encoeage each other,they tell stories of how God saved them from impossible situation.

One story will come from Lucan and Diana- a happily married couple with a baby on the way. their flashback  will go to years earlier in their marriage where they were on the brink of divorce due to several problems.

Problems

They both work together in the same  police station but Diana has progressed further  than Luca and he feels insecure  as she orders him around. Worsened by the fact that he never really wanted to work there but was pressured by his family as police work is a famiy tradition.

Lucan has decided to quit the job and go into  baking which is his passion  which Diana  is less than enthusiastic about. In fact she's angry and embarrassed. To add more fuel to the fire they've been having problems conceiving a childdue to Diana constantly miscarrying.

I've written the point where they've   had a big public blow out and decided to divorce but I can't figure how to reconcile them. Relatives have been praying for them but I need a dramatic even to cause them to change their minds. 

It has to be noticeably  divine intervention  but it can't be mundane or they just cjangevtheor minds.  Something had to happen to instigate their change of heart. 

Any ideas. Please. .....

2017-04-22 08.56.01.jpg

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

Lucan reaches under the bed and grabs his AR-15, praying, "Lord, make me fast and accurate!"

Diana thanks God, "I praise your Name that we were prepared for a Day like this!" As Lucan stands over the bodies dialing 911 for the Coroner.

Happy ending!

But, I have a feeling that you are going a different direction with this! :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

1 hour ago, Jeff2 said:

Lucan reaches under the bed and grabs his AR-15, praying, "Lord, make me fast and accurate!"

Diana thanks God, "I praise your Name that we were prepared for a Day like this!" As Lucan stands over the bodies dialing 911 for the Coroner.

Happy ending!

But, I have a feeling that you are going a different direction with this! :)

U do realise the aim is them reconciling their marriage right 

• Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, creativemechanic said:

I'm currently  writing a play on the power of prayer. In it several people are trappped in a  basemenr during a home invasion.

OK

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,166
  • Content Per Day:  1.52
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

one of them gets in a car accident and ends up in the hopital. the other rushs there and during prayer realizes how much they really love him/her.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Divorce them. And I don't mean this in a joking way. Let me explain. There are too many stories like this out there already. Do something that goes against mainstream Christian plays and films. We want a happy endings but at the expense of it being redundant and cliche. Here is why I think a divorce would be in order. First it is a reality that hits many Christian homes. This should not be something as believers we shy away from. It is reality. Second you could build your story around this situation where you have a divorced Christian couple that somehow in the midst of their lives come into contact with some godly people. Divorce is a selfish think in most cases. So you have pride, selfishness, anger, hostility, and you name it. So you could play off this and teach lessons from each point of view. Then you could have some type of lets say Got Mail type of thing happen due to prayer of those that are concerned and the couple end up coming back together. 

But this is just what I came up with. Probably not what you were looking for but it is just an idea. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Basement? Like in The Adams Family? Who has a basement?

How about they are trapped by  muggers at aisle 14 of sLowes while looking at the newest shower heads. They are in  a heated argument with each other about the overhead shower heads, whether one is sufficient or should there be two. Having been arguing  for weeks, to the point of wanting  a separation from each other, he  has been making plans for the sale of the house instead of remodeling it because he has realized they have incompatible and irreconcilable issues.

He blurts out  at the gang that has blocked them off, Take it all, take her! I don't care anymore!

At that moment his wife sees a vision,  the strong vision  of her and one of the gang members blocking them in with  a corral of huge shopping carts. It is her old high school boyfriend leading, and she with much  passion says, Yes, yes, take me, take me away  from this suburbia nightmare I have married. I never want to shower again.

And so her old school boyfriend  does, and they go off on his chopper, never to bath again. While her now ex not only gets himself that double overhead  shower head, he adds a jacucci tub in a slightly mismatched color from the existing fixtures, but it was 40 percent off, so...

He is happy, she is really happy, quite dirty but content  riding  on a chopper, gravel in her straggly hair. Her as yet unborn child  grows up in mom's  backpack, as the child of  a wild pack, and  meets Paul Reubans. All leading to the highlight of his dancing instructor career; and his choreographing of Pee Wees Big Advanture, the biker bar scene dance.

Both mom and biological dad, long separated from each other, see the movie at an AMC theatre with stadium seating. Dad hears mom crying way up at the back of the theatre even though he has  been down at the lower level at his handicap seat with  his walker.

He cries out ," Hey Stella! Hey Stella!". She at the top of the theatre stadium seating considers, considers again, then stuffs a giant fistfull of oiled popcorn in her mouth biting down hard hard  on a corn kernel breaking a tooth. She screams out a plaintive phrase that everyone hears. And the crowd sings out in unison, " Give it up buddy  she doesn't want you".

He falls over his walker clonking his head, and that is that. 

The silver screen rolls credits showing out takes of Pee Wees Big Adventure, with the dance scene and Herman tripping again and again in those silly high platform shoes,  to the juxtaposition of  a laughing audience. The  couple never sees  nor hears of each other again.

She has extremely painful dental procedures and he, well he is never the same after bumping his head. And the morals teaser of a question becomes evident- "What if this is as good as it gets?" 

The now semi -famous screen play choreographer becomes a screen writer, meets Jack Nicholson and makes his own hit movie. People love it and  ask absently from then on that line made famous by Jack, "What if this is as good as it gets?"

An off screen voice says;  "You never get more than you can handle",  filling audiences with profound but somewhat confused hope anew. For they know they will never have it that bad, never.  And even if they did they can handle it. For there is light at the end of the darkest night, there is hope my child. 

And a new wonderful career opens for the wild pack's prodigal. He is  seen  with Bill and Gloria's finest, often in the celebrity clustered gospel singers choir scenes doing his  new deep bass voiced rumble down to lower Mi- Re -Do.  

The end.  And the audience asks itself; yeah but how how did he know of mom and dad's movie theatre near miss of getting back together?

That gets explained in the sequel, "The Dance Man Cometh", Watch for it, coming soon at AMC theatres with stadium seating, but watch out for those disability railings. You could bump your head.

The overall moral  is that though life can be and is often  a series of what seems disconnected dots from a human perspective pointless, there is a pattern, a preset pattern that can lead even the wildest son of a wild pack to  the security of hope certain for those that have been foreknown and predestined to be led to eternal security- Yes there is hope that is certain. -And then the son of the wild pack meets Mel Gibson.... to tell another vivid story. There ya go a trilogy of plays -for the big screen.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

S000, there is always a long way around to a point, but why take the long way round? Why not start with the point, like an old time newspaper reporter, state the point up front.

The point is Jesus is the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by him. Start with the Glory that is God. And then  fill in  the many stories,  the testimonies of individuals called to their salvation in Christ Jesus.

There need be no back door presentation subtly to sharing the Gospel of our Lord Jesus. For the mind will not hear it anyway less the Holy Spirit  convicts and makes that specific call  to repentence.

None the less the command is go  and proclaim-

Jesus is Lord, might we pray together praising Him. 

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

They separate in the heat of their emotions. Both seem to prosper in the absence of conflict. Diana focuses on her work to "take the edge" off her stress at the loss of another pregnancy and the troubles in her marriage. As a result, she is promoted again, but continues to have problems supervising male subordinates (as in, it wasn't really Lucan that was the problem, it was Diana's issue). She begins to flounder and ends up going to a police counselor for help.

In the meantime, Lucan lands a job at a Christian bakery (one that hasn't yet been put out of business by gay lobbyists). Along with the job, he has an apartment above the bakery in the owner's home. The owners, are a very mature Christian couple, who begin to minister to him as they teach him baking.  They, in fact, are lay counselors for their church and they begin asking Lucan difficult questions. While he is happy as a baker, he is also conflicted over the separation and the miscarriages. Through hours of friendship and conversation with the owners, not only does Lucan get saved, but he begins studying spiritual healing and begins to recover his joy. He begins to moonlight by making baked goods for some of his friends in the police department. Since he is a great baker, he begins to experiment with other cooking as well and develops some cool lunch recipes which also end up at the police station. After about 6 months, Lucan opens up a lunch wagon outside the station and actually begins to prosper when the menu and quality of food are noticed favorably by everyone in the neighborhood of the police station.

Remember Diana and the counselor? The counselor turns out to be the niece of the bakery owners. She happens to be a Christian. Over months of working with Diana, the counselor leads Diana to Christ, and she begins working on her issues. No real progress is made on the marriage because it is still very sensitive.

One day, after counseling, the counselor offers to buy Diana lunch at the lunch wagon. Diana hasn't really kept up with Lucan except to know he was working in a bakery. They come face to face when ordering lunch. The first encounter is abrupt and totally cold, business. Diana is shocked to see Lucan at a lunch wagon. She is prepared to denigrate him totally until she notices 2 things. First, the food she orders is better than anything she ever cooked. Second, as she is sitting near the lunch wagon eating her lunch, she notices the interaction Lucan is having with the customers; how he handles the lunch rush; what kinds of things are being said about Lucan; and how joyful he seems to be. She gets really steamed because Lucan seems to be doing so well. It opens the door for the counselor to help Diana process her feelings about the marriage.

As for Lucan, he is shocked to see Diana, but his heart leaps into his throat and he can't say anything but "thank you , ma'am" and take her money. He is distracted by her being nearby but the lunch rush returns him to his focus and he works through it. Later, returning home to the bakery, he has a discussion with the owners and they begin to work with him to process his feelings on the marriage.

The denouement comes when, on her birthday, Lucan arranges a surprise party at the police station for Diana and bakes an outrageous wedding reconciliation cake, complete with bride and goom kneeling in prayer. Then he arranges to have the owners and the counselor deliver the cake and administer the party WITHOUT letting Diana know it's from him.

Diana is shocked and surprised. She is totally floored by the cake. It takes a couple of sessions with the counselor for her to realize that it was Lucan and that the message of the cake is one of reconciliation, but she is still not ready in her heart.

The big reconciliation comes as Christmas when both the bakery owners and the counselor invite Lucan and Diana into their family Christmas celebration....where they both kneel before the nativity scene and ask God to forgive them for their hard heartedness.

Okay, it wasn't that dramatic

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

So when they tell the stories will it be a narrative by the actor just sitting there, or will the light fade out to another scene and then the story be performed?